PDA

View Full Version : Pen Blanks??

Karl Laustrup
01-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Not having one of them spinny thingys, I don't know what size is required for pen blanks.

I do however, have some scraps after cleaning out my scrap bin. Each of the pieces is a full one inch thick. If they will work for pen blanks or?, I thought I would offer them up for someone to use.

Sizes are as follows, left to right, back pieces first.
The first two are Maple as I remember; #1, 16-5/8 L X 6-1/4 W, #2 11-7/8 L X 7-1/2 W.
The other pieces are cherry. #3 9-1/8 L X 6-3/8 W; #4 13-3/4 L X 5-3/8 W;
#5 5-1/4 L X 3-1/2 at the widest,3 at the narrow end.

#4 has a split, but I think there might be enough to turn a couple of pens.

Here's the deal. Wood is free. Pay the shipping and they are yours. Not sure on the weight, but I wouldn't think shipping would be more than $5-10 bucks. Would like have them all go to a nice home, and be turned into pens for service members. Oh yeah, this wood was harvested from my property in August 2003.

Kurt Aebi
01-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Generally, they are stripped out in 3/4" x 3/4" x 5-1/2" long "blanks" But I usually just square up the board using the thickness as a guide.

If most penturners are like me, I like to get the board as a board and cut the blanks myself, therefore if I wand to go at a 45° or other angle to get the most of the grain we have the full latitude to get the best looking grain possible.

I really like the piece with the big knot in it - gotta lot of character.

I've PM'd ya!

Jim Reasoner
01-11-2005, 10:51 AM
I would be overjoyed to take your scraps. They will make lots of pens. Let me know and I will send you a check immediately and don't mind if you wait until the
check clears to ship the boards. Man, can't beat a deal like that.
Jim Reasoner

Karl Laustrup
01-11-2005, 11:24 AM
We have a winner[s]. Kurt if you want just the maple and if Jim agrees, I will proceed to get them ready for shipment. If each of you will PM if you are agreeable, we'll get the ball rolling.

If you missed out, don't despair as I will offer more like this when I get some more. At least until I get one of them spinny thingys.
P.S. Kurt, I'm pretty sure those are maple. I've only worked with maple & cherry lately, that I can remember. Damn, CRS.