PDA

View Full Version : Plywood in back of '09 Odyssey

Phil Thien
01-17-2011, 12:02 AM
I've read that if I fold the third row seats down, and remove the 2nd row seats, I can place a full sheet of plywood into the back of my Honda Odyssey (2009).

Looking at it this morning, it sorta looks like I can fold the 2nd row backs down onto the seats, and do the same with the third row, and just place the plywood on top of the seats (I'd only be moving one sheet at a time).

Has anyone tried this? Will it fit, or will I have to remote seats?

Michael Schneider
01-17-2011, 12:10 AM
hmm, before I get in hot water with your SWMBO. What is the condition of the interior of your van? Any scratches? Any problems if new scratches/rips appear???

Rich Engelhardt
01-17-2011, 6:18 AM
Phil,
You need to remove the seats.
I tried doing the same thing - leaving the seats in, in my 2004 Odyasey and there wasn't enough room between the back and the front seats.
Even with the 2nd seats removed, you can only get so many 4x8 sheets in the back. IIRC, it's something like 5 - but - don't hold me to that.

My 2010 Sienna is the same.

There's enough space between the back of the van and the front seats down on the floor. As you get up higher (above the front seat mount), the backs of the front seats protrude too far.

You can fit a couple of sheets of flexible stuff, like pegboard, hardboard or any other 1/8 or 1/4" stuff in with the seats in. But, anything stiffer, like 1/2" or greater won't fit.

hmm, before I get in hot water with your SWMBO. What is the condition of the interior of your van? Any scratches? Any problems if new scratches/rips appear???

Pick up either a 9x12 canvas drop cloth at Harbor Freight when they go on sale. Or a pair of 48" wide canvas runners from Harbor Freight. They'll protect the interior.
Plus - the HF canvas drops are one of their "best buy" items. You pay nearly double the price for lighter ones anywhere else.

Brian Penning
01-17-2011, 6:38 AM
Being able to fold the seats into the floor and laying in full 4X8 sheets in my Grand Caravan is the main reason I bought it.