PDA

View Full Version : Laser cutting vector lines twice

Don Sims
01-16-2011, 11:30 PM
I have searched the forums and have searched google and I have not come up with an answer yet. I am using Flexi 8 to do my design work and when I send the work to the laser, it always cuts the vector cutline twice. Not a big deal with plastics, but wood gets burned. Has anyone out there had this issue? Help!

Dan Hintz
01-17-2011, 6:52 AM
Are you sure there are not two vector lines in the file? That's quite common when someone does a cut-n-paste job in a file, leaving double (or more) or the same image...

Mike Null
01-17-2011, 9:34 AM
It's actually far worse with other file types. CAD for example--people have found as many as twenty layers when importing into Corel.

See if you have an object manager feature in your software and delete the extra lines from there.

Don Sims
01-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Are you sure there are not two vector lines in the file? That's quite common when someone does a cut-n-paste job in a file, leaving double (or more) or the same image...

Most of my artwork is original and I create and engrave in flexi. No importing or exporting. Here is what I do....

I make a white layer for the background so everything is within the size to engrave. That white back ground has a stroke of .001 for the cut line. The next layer has a small circle with a stroke of .001 to cut a small hole. Next layer has the same thing in a different place and then the top layer has text. This project is a simple name tag and the strokes always cuts twice.

As soon as I get out to the shop, I will send one of my files to show how it is set up.

Gary Hair
01-17-2011, 1:49 PM
You could solve that problem pretty easily by using Corel, any special reason you are using Flexi? It's pretty much overkill for a laser.

Gary

Don Sims
01-17-2011, 6:49 PM
Actually, I have a thermal vinyl printer/cutter, a solvent ink printer/cutter, an impact printer and the laser. I like to do it all in one program. The only time I have to vary from that is if I need to use photoshop to fix artwork or change an image for laser engraving. Sometimes I use photograv, but most of the time, I can get it done in photoshop. I just don't like to import export a lot and when there is one program that can do it all..... why not.

I just pulled up an old file that I needed to cut out some plastic and noticed it was cutting single paths. I also noticed that every layer in the file was a compound path. I just might have solved my own problem.

And to think, this was supposed to be a hobby.

Don Sims
01-17-2011, 7:43 PM
I thought I had it, but no. Funny, I have 2 compounded paths. The first one is white color with #2 color stroke and it cuts once. The second path also has a white color with a #3 color stroke and it cuts twice. http://www.makingitdigital.net/link/cutout.zip