PDA

View Full Version : My new CNC Router

ed vitanovec
01-16-2011, 9:32 PM
I wanted to show you all my new Torchmate CNC Router 2x4, I still need to make a table for it. The cutting area is 24" x 48", the Z axis is a K2cnc with 5" of travel. Torchmate sells these as plasma cutters and have their own router z axis accessory. I bought this without the z axis and bought the z axis from K2CNC. I am planning on using this for wood and metal signs.
I will make a water table that will be under the wood table, top will lift off to access the water table for plasma cutting. The router mount I have is for the bosch colt and with some thin shims it holds the new Dewalt 611 router. K2CNC makes a mount for a plasma torch holder that bolts onto the z axis, change over should not be too time consuming.
I'm not sure what software to buy yet, looking at VCarve Pro and Bobcad, what do you think about these software packages?
Regards!
Ed
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/fasteddie58/TORCHMATE5.jpg
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/fasteddie58/TORCHMATE1.jpg

John McClanahan
01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
I have an older version of Bob CAD-CAM. If I were to buy new software, I would look at the VCarve or Aspire. The Bob CAD sales team is well known for relentless sales tactics. If you are interested in Bob CAD, the asking price is very negotiable. There is a Bob CAD forum over at cnczone.com. Be sure to read up!

Also, do you have controller software? If not, Mach3 would be a good choice.

John

ed vitanovec
01-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Yes the Torchmate came with their own controller software and hardware.

Regards!
Ed

james mcgrew
01-18-2011, 1:07 PM
please do not give my phone number to bobcad, i purchased the software and it took two years to get them to stop calling, never used the software

how much for the torch mate?

ed vitanovec
01-18-2011, 11:47 PM
I bought before their price increase. I think the current cost for the Plasma CNC without the Z axis is 2x2 = $2995, 2 x 4 = $3495.

Mike Heidrick
01-19-2011, 1:13 AM
So you added the K2 Z, a stepper to it, and a K2 mount and the 611 - anything else? Was it a 4 axis controller out of the box (assuming the gantry has slaved steppers)?

ed vitanovec
01-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Yes the controller has 4 axis cards and a slot to add a 5th. The Y axis has 2 stepper motors, slaved. The quality is actually really good and Torchmates customer service is top notch, lifetime support.

Mick A Martin
01-20-2011, 4:57 AM
Ed,
Nice looking machine, how long did it take to make?

Mick

james mcgrew
01-20-2011, 6:23 AM
a welder friend of mine had the torchmate for cutting steel and it definantly is a capable machine, it is obvious the price difference lies in the quality of the bearing system vs the hiwins and such, yet i am sure it is a capable router, what is the actual distance from the bottom of the gantry plate to the surface board when installed?

ed vitanovec
01-20-2011, 10:26 PM
The distance from the table top to the underside of the gantry is 8". Torchmate does make a hi end router with the expensive rails and bearings. This model is more entry level and a market they saw had potental. A year ago they came out with the 2x2 and about 6 weeks ago started shipping the 2x4. They offer an upgrade to those already owning a 2x2 and wanting to go 2x4. They will trade in the 2x2 rails for the 4 ft rails. Sometime this year they will offer a 4 ft gantry and allow trading in the 2 ft for the 4ft to make a 4x4. Torchmate has done really well with the 2x2, its been selling for a year now and they have shipped about 500 units, the 2x4 is over 100 units shipped already.

Regards!
Ed

james mcgrew
01-21-2011, 3:26 AM
thanks, actually i was looking for the distance under the z car to the bed not the gantry this is actual available cut, a good guess is 4"'

ed vitanovec
01-21-2011, 9:05 PM
The way I have the z axis mounted now the clearance below is about 4.5", the z axis can be moved up or down if I need to.