PDA

View Full Version : Need Design Advise for First Vase Form

Nate Davey
01-16-2011, 9:24 PM
I am trying my first vase form and have the outside shape where I think it looks OK. I wanted some advice on the shape before I started hollowing it as now is the time to improve it.

The form is about 4 1/2" tall, 2 3/4" at the largest diameter and the base is about 1 1/4" in diameter. The wood is Ambrosia Maple.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the poor picture quality, I took it with my iPhone.

While we're at it, what finish would you recommend and should I finish sand before I start hollowing.

TIA
Nate

Roger Chandler
01-16-2011, 9:37 PM
I like WOP for a finish, and after a good cure time, then go back and buff, then apply renwax. Yes sand to final finish before hollowing, then hollow, and if you need a touch up in case you use a steady rest, or see a spot you missed, then you can finish by hand.

David DeCristoforo
01-16-2011, 9:54 PM
I would like to see the "shoulder" softened a bit so that the curve was "sweeter" from top to bottom. Also, I would reduce the diameter of the base a bit more. This is very close to an excellent form...

Nate Davey
01-16-2011, 9:57 PM
]David,

If I understand correctly, reduce the diameter of the widest part to soften the curve???[ATTACH]178395[/ATTACH

and should I lengthen the form to continue curve to a smaller base or just make the current base smaller. Thanks.

David DeCristoforo
01-16-2011, 10:02 PM
"...reduce the diameter of the widest part to soften the curve..."

Si.

"...should I lengthen the form to continue curve to a smaller base..."

That's going to depend on how much you end up reducing the widest part of the form. If you just fair the curve, you can continue it into the waste area and see how that looks. Then if you need to, you can always make it smaller. Sneak up on it. It's lots harder to put wood back on that it is to take it off!

John Keeton
01-16-2011, 10:02 PM
I agree with David on the shoulder, and in doing so, you will probably need to remove a little material. That will give you an opportunity to bring the base down a little with a continuous curve from the shoulder to the base. You really have this very close - good placement of the shoulder.

That Ambrosia Maple looks similar to some I have used and I went with BLO and WOP. It will darken it some, but it makes a very rich color with the Ambrosia stains. This is going to be a nice piece, Nate!

Just saw the exchange with David. Making it longer could put the shoulder too high. If you add length, you will need to bring down the shoulder some.

Nate Davey
01-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks David and John, now I just have to keep from making the inside see the outside :D

RL Johnson
01-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Nate, I agree with David. When you blend the two curves together at the shoulder it may lead you to lengthen the piece as I think the top portion will look taller. If you lengthen the base should become smaller in diameter. Very nice for a first piece and I would finish the outside before I hollowed, just it case it may goes oval and be a little more trouble to sand and finish. I like a spray lacquer for a finish. You apply many coats fairly easy. Best of luck.

David E Keller
01-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Good advice so far... I agree with the suggestion to soften the shoulder, but I don't think it has to be as drastic as you've shown in the edited photo. I think narrowing the foot is a good suggestion for my taste, and the height for me is a real 'feel' thing. I think you've got a star in the making, so I'll anxiously await the finished photos.

David DeCristoforo
01-16-2011, 10:23 PM
The edit might be a bit too much. Remove only as much as you need to get the curve to look continuous. You can lengthen it with impunity by continuing the curve at the bottom. If it gets to looking too tall and skinny, you can shorten the whole thing simply by establishing a new bottom a bit higher up on the form. JK's point on the location of the shoulder in relation to the height of the form is important. But you still have enough wood on this to "play" a bit...

Baxter Smith
01-16-2011, 10:32 PM
This looks remarkably like some of the first ones I did(and still do):). Close but not quite there. Another thought you might try or at least think about. If you are not worried about stability, I think most vases seem look best if the base is 1/3 or .333% or less of the widest part. Right now you are at 45%. Once you have the shoulder where you want it, you might consider doing some math to see how close you are to that proportion on the base. Another suggestion I recieved with one was to not go straight into the table on the foot. "Tuck it under a bit" I think was the phrase that was used. Both of those things helped me. At least they do when I remember them. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Bill Hensley
01-17-2011, 7:16 AM
Like has been stated it's a feel thing. I 'feel' the current height is right and the base just needs to be slightly smaller. May the 'feel' force be with you!

BTW, I frequently use brushing lacquer and it's very forgiving.

Bill Blasic
01-17-2011, 7:53 AM
Nate,
For my eye your great right where it is as I like it. Just remember to roll the bottom underneath so as to give the piece some lift.
Bill

Nate Davey
01-17-2011, 1:17 PM

Well, I've decided to take the design of this in a new direction. More of an archeological find as opposed to fresh from the factory. Had a catch while hollowing with my Sorby Medium Hollower, not surprised. Few lesson learned; should have slowed the lathe while working the more acute angle of the top and stop the lathe before pulling out the tool. I'm going to finish hollowing then use my Dremel to clean up the break and finish. Should be some good experiences left in this. I typically like to do smaller pilot projects then scale up. This my me an instance where a bigger project first may help.

John Keeton
01-17-2011, 1:28 PM
OUCH!!!!! Nate, what about using this opportunity for a collar, lid and finial?? You have some extra stock on the bottom of this piece that would probably make a nice lid. Just a thought - this still has potential!

I would say the catch was more related to withdrawing the tool, but I wasn't there so don't know. I have found a little more speed when hollowing (done cautiously) can actually reduce catches.

Nate Davey
01-17-2011, 1:36 PM
Absolutely correct John. I caught it while withdrawing the tool. I'm one catch better than I was before. ;)