PDA

View Full Version : My big apple

Bill Hensley
01-16-2011, 7:12 PM
I got inspired by David's Blue Moon piece to stain something.

I turned this from a piece of what I think is fir. After I had turned it and stained it I decided to embellish it with a "stem" to complete my interpretation;)

BTW, I'm loving my Monster system. Boldly going where none of my tools have gone before!

Steve Vaughan
01-16-2011, 7:56 PM
A very nice and simple design very well done! I like the color and grain.

Roger Chandler
01-16-2011, 8:41 PM
Bill,

I am really liking this piece you have done! Wow! great form, grain orientation is superb, it shows the figure in the wood. I also like the top! I am so looking forward to receiving my monster rig! Is your the articulated or the captured? I have gotten an idea from this ........thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2011, 9:48 PM
Bill - nice work with the dye! Good color and I really like how it enhances the grain!

John Keeton
01-16-2011, 9:52 PM
Bill, it does look like fir or spruce, and it also looks as though you have done a great job with it! I like the color - really accentuates the growth rings.

Nate Davey
01-16-2011, 9:54 PM
I love the way the grain stands out. Did you sand back your color after you applied it? I'm jealous about your monster rig. Someday, it will be mine....oh yes.

David DeCristoforo
01-16-2011, 9:56 PM
I do like how the color makes the rings "pop". It gives it some movement that really adds to the overall form.

Dick Mahany
01-16-2011, 9:59 PM
Bill,

Nice job on the form and the fine surface finish, especially on fir. The coloring provides significant interest in the grain !

Baxter Smith
01-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Very nice job on the staining. It makes the growth rings and the way you have aligned them a standout feature. I have so far shied away from the dye because I hadn't turned a wood I thought was appropriate for it. While researching what I might do with a spruce burl, I remember reading that dye was one of the options that someone had had success with. Accentuated what otherwise would have been a somewhat bland wood. I shall have to give it a try for some of the pieces I have left. Thanks for posting a good result and giving me a nudge!

Ron Stadler
01-16-2011, 11:14 PM
I really like this piece, simple but very clean form and really like the color you chose for this. Very well done, might have to try an copy this one myself.:D

Bill Hensley
01-17-2011, 6:58 AM
Thanks all. It was a fun project.

Roger - it's the articulating system. Once I got a feel for it I really like being able to finesse the inside of a HF.

Nate - it was stained initially but I had to make adjustments to the top for the stem. I found out quickly that I couldn't repair the stained area. So I had to sand completely back and re-stain. I didn't touch it once it was stained again. I decided the safest bet to not disturb the stain was to spray it with lacquer.