PDA

View Full Version : question on bottle stoppers

Jim Reasoner
01-11-2005, 7:02 AM
I have done some stoppers using cork which deteriorates and stains over time. Now I want to do some using the metal cones. My question- does the chrome oxidise or stain or anything? What are the best stopper kits and mandrels, etc.?

Matthew Poeller
01-11-2005, 9:23 AM
I have not had the chrome bottle stoppers long enough to know if there is any problem with them.

I have purchased from Penn State Industries and I like them.

John Shuk
01-11-2005, 12:45 PM
I bought a bunch from Penn State as well and made one so far. I like it but now I saw in the Woodcraft catalog a chrome one that looks nicer to my taste. It doesn't come to the same point that the PSI one's do.
Check these out.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4773

John

Anthony Penchetta
01-19-2005, 2:26 PM
You may want to check with BB at Arizona Sil. He offers the ones from Brea and I have found them to be the best fitting for wine bottles. Have not had any staining yet, also availeable in Gold Ti & Black Ti, I have turned the others from PDI, but the fit is not that snug.

Richard Allen
01-19-2005, 4:23 PM
Barbara Gill, will sometimes visit this forum had had experinmce where the chrome peels from the stopper after prolonged use. She currently is using the silicone "corks".

Jim Reasoner
01-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Do you know which company carries those, Richard?

Michael Barry
01-19-2005, 10:49 PM
Packard Woodworks has the silicone stoppers. $7.50 for a package of 10 including the dowels.

Barbara Gill
01-20-2005, 2:21 AM
As Richard said, I have found that the chrome will corrode after prolonged use. Both my sister and I usually have a bottle of red wine open with a wine stopper in it. When I discovered the problem I stopped using the metal cones and went to the silicone.
I was not buying the cheapest product available although they all are probably made much the same way. A good quality stainless would be the best but I doubt that it is available.
If anyone is interested I could post a picture.

Kurt Aebi
01-20-2005, 8:02 AM
Hey Jim,

Ryan at woodturningz.com carries the silicone "corks". I just got a pack of 10 to try. I think they are PSI's though.

John Shuk
01-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Is anyone interested in having stainless ones made? I have a machinest friend and could talk to him about making a batch as a test run and see what he thinks. he might not be able to do it as cheap as China but the quality would be good. This is just exploratory to see if there would be interest.
John

Barbara Gill
01-20-2005, 4:55 PM
About how much would they cost?

John Shuk
01-20-2005, 6:21 PM
I'll talk to him tonight. He may not be too interested he is sort of busy but I'll try to convince him. The first pieces are usually the most expensive then when he gets used to making them the price goes down. I'll check back if he is interested. I may set up a poll to get an idea on what he would be looking at for orders if that is permissable in the TOS.
John