PDA

View Full Version : Paint fill

Conrad Fiore
01-16-2011, 4:50 PM
Let me start by saying that this is not a rub-n-buff question. I need a recommendation for a commercial enamel in quart or smaller sizes. I have an aluminum logo plate (qty. 100) that has been machined with the customer logo and it will placed on their built machinery. It is three color fill, black and two PMS match colors. The plates are machined and clear anodized and then filled. The fill must be able to withstand grease, oils and cleaning with solvent. So I am looking for a tuff, air dry enamel that can be purchased in PMS colors and packaged in quart or smaller sizes.

Thanks,
Conrad

Joe Pelonio
01-16-2011, 5:40 PM
I would use 1-shot. On their website you can get mixing formulas for most Pantone colors but have to do it yourself. Other companies such as Sherwin Williams also make industrial coatings but again you would have to mix them to get the color you want. In the past I have been able to match pretty well but it takes a lot of time, so I hope you will get a lot of extra money for the color omatch, I'd suggest $100 per color.

With screenprinting $50-75 is standard and ink is a lot easier to match than paint.

Barb Macdonald
01-16-2011, 6:10 PM
Joe, I never had any luck with one-shot. Probably just me. But it would skin/fish-eye/bubble, and the paint beneath the skin would not dry. We've had better luck with the sherwin-williams and the screen inks, thinned appropriately. Also, if the pieces are anodized before filling, you will lose the crisp edge of the engraved cut, it will be rounded over slightly from the anodizing process. Just a thought. And just my experience.