PDA

View Full Version : Curl on a stick

Dennis Ford
01-16-2011, 1:59 PM
Just finished this piece. I had some trouble reaching the sides when hollowing this but got it done without going through the side. It is 11 inches tall. It was difficult to measure the wall thickness accurately but it is less than 1/4" in the thickest sections. The opening is 1 inch diameter.
Mesquite (pedestal)
Maple (HF)
Muhama (finial)

John Keeton
01-16-2011, 2:03 PM
Dennis, you don't give a dimension on the width, but I am guessing just under 7". That is a real stretch through a 1" hole!!! Well done.

You did some nice spinde work on the pedestal and finial, too. Love that maple!

Roger Chandler
01-16-2011, 2:40 PM
Now that has some WOW factor to it. I like the replication of the form on the finial and pedestal. That wide of a form being hollowed to 1/4 is a feat in and of itself! Fine work here! The form is so broad that it looks delicate in balance, but your pedestal is substantial enough to support the weight and the look, so as to defy fragility and speak "stability."

Again, a fine piece of work! What hollowing system do you use to be able to get that wide a form hollow?

Steve Vaughan
01-16-2011, 4:46 PM
What a really hf! My question is this, are y'all rough-turning these hollow forms green, and then going back to them when dry for finish-turning? Or, this is dry wood to begin with?

Don Alexander
01-16-2011, 5:13 PM
cool looking piece and very well done with the finial and pedestal mirroring shape above and below the main piece
I'm with Roger on the proportion of the pedestal being nicely proportioned in relation to the main body of the piece and would add that the finial
also is nicely proportioned

beautiful piece of wood

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2011, 5:34 PM
Nice work Dennis! Agree with you - a very difficult form to hollow - especially with just a 1" hole! Nice work on that!

Very pretty wood - love all the curl! Also like the way you mirrored the elements in the finial and pedestal! Thanks for sharing!

Dennis Ford
01-16-2011, 7:04 PM
Roger, I used these tools. The second one is a John Jordan hollowing tool, the others are home-made.

Bill Hensley
01-16-2011, 7:58 PM
I too am impressed with what you achieved through a 1" hole. Very impressive!