PDA

View Full Version : PM 3520b Bearings No Good

Mike Stephens
01-16-2011, 1:40 PM
I bought my lathe in the beginning of May of 2010. After 6 months the bearings went bad. Waltermeier sent me out new bearings after a brief conversation with a tech. I really was not happy about having to change the bearings on a new machine. This all took place in October of 2010.

I put off changing out the bearings until today. Well I used a bearing puller and a press. Now one of the bearings is making a grinding noise.

I would have been on the phone with WM today but they are closed. I will not be happy with anything less then a new spindle with the bearings already pressed on. Is that unreasonable?

I am sure WM will make good on it but I needed to vent. I wanted to do some turning today. Now I will be out of the game for at least a week. http://www.woodturnersresource.com/yabb2files/Templates/Forum/woody/angry.gif

Mike

bob svoboda
01-16-2011, 3:11 PM
Sorry to hear that Mike. Keep us posted. I'm sure all of us with that lathe will be interested in your experience.

Mike Stephens
01-17-2011, 5:25 PM
I talked with a tech at WM today. Even after listening to my rant the tech was very courteous and is sending me all the parts between the front of the spindle to the hand wheel. Oh and there shipping it 2 day air.

I will let you all know when it is back up and running.

Reed Gray
01-17-2011, 6:59 PM
One thing I didn't like about my PM 3520A when I had it, as compared to the Oneway and Robust is that you do have to remove/press out the headstock spindle to change a belt and bearings. With the other 2 lathes, you can unbolt the headstock spindle assembly. Haven't had to do that yet, and probably won't ever have to. I did wear out one set of headstock bearings on my PM after about 5 years. Mostly due to turning chainsawn blanks with no tailstock. Getting a big band saw helped do away with a lot of that vibration.

robo hippy