PDA

View Full Version : Rockler's Circ Saw & Router Guide Rail system

Phil Winn
01-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Did you see Rockler's Circ Saw & Router guide rail
system?
www.rockler.com (http://www.rockler.com)
#26718, 22839, 20121

Thoughts?
Phil

Greg Mann
01-11-2005, 1:27 AM
You can cut a straight line with it without wandering away from the guide; there have been many versions of that tune. What you apparently don't get is elimination of offset calculation, splintering, and dust control. You will not be able to make mitered cuts because the guide won't clamp on an angle to the edge. If the material is too thin, the clamp will distort it. That is what comes to mind readily, I am sure there are other things. I don't think it is a good long-term solution as you will run into limitations that will drive you nuts. If you want a better system without needing to buy a saw get the E. If you want dust control, easy bevelled cuts and a great saw, get the F. Either one will be alot more satisfying. Just my HO, and I hope I have been gracious enough to not start another debate.:rolleyes:

Greg

Phil Winn
01-11-2005, 3:24 AM
good points. I posted this because after spending a few days
looking at various rail systems, specifically the E and the F, I
just received an email from Rockler having this system on sale-
Thats it,
Phil

Greg Mann
01-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Hey, your are doing your homework and that's really smart. There probably isn't one of us that did not buy something we realized later to not be the right tool for our plans. But that is half the fun, when we really ponder these things we save in the long run and even if we then decide wrongly, we can rationalize that we at least tried hard to make the best decision.

good points. I posted this because after spending a few days
looking at various rail systems, specifically the E and the F, I
just received an email from Rockler having this system on sale-
Thats it,
Phil

Mitchell Garnett
01-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Here's yet another one to look at: http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=PPS-2&Category_Code=PS (http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSI&Product_Code=PPS-2&Category_Code=PS)

I don't know anything more than what is in the advert but it can be clamped at an angle according to the description.

Dan Stuewe
01-11-2005, 2:14 PM
I have an older version of the Penn State version. I use spring clamps to hold the rail to the sheet and use a combo square to get the offset. I've never used it for highly acurate cuts (difference less than blade width), but it is great for breaking down sheets and cutting all the mdf for our wainscot for our house. I just used it with my inexpensive Craftsman saw with a good Frued Diablo blade (that had gone through a couple hundred feet of 1/2" and 5/8" mdf) to cut $30 Home Depot ply with very-very minor chipping (like a few swips with 220 sandpaper took care of things). The new rails from Penn State look great for having incorporated clamping, and for the price, I'm a very happy camper!!

(BTW, you can check my website out for pictures of it in action, just look around the remodeling section.)