PDA

View Full Version : To those of you who have requested my methods

Michelle Rich
01-16-2011, 12:22 PM
First let me say, i have been very pleased with the responses I have gotten here at SMC. Your comments & support in my journey into new turning territory has been helpful and has helped me keep my nose to the grindstone.
For those of you who want specifics, I cannot give those, as there really are none. There are many methods here. Some I have invented, such as "organic segmentation". I have coined that phrase as I have never seen it anywhere. I do believe it is an entirely new concept in turning/segmented turning. All segmentation relies on triangular shaped pieces that are stacked and turned. As I dreamed up turnings I wished to make, I realized I could not as there was no conventional way to do so. So "organic segmentation " was born. Cutting pieces in the shape I wanted and stacking them 2-3-4 layers high, then turning. Mixing concepts. some use scrollwork where I drew what I wanted on the wood and then cut out what i did not want, then turned. Some use carving & turning. Some use drill bits. Whatever tool I have that will get the look I want is used.
I have no CNC, no Torque, no ornamental lathe. All I have is a modest shop. Yours probably has more tools than mine. What I do have is an inquistive mind, no fear of trial and error, and the willingness to devise new strategies to get the art I desire.
Thanks again all of you who have commented on my experiments.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Thank you Michelle, most turners are willing to tell and show other turners the how and what, I will try to remember the giving you do, when you come with questions to the forum :-((

Michelle Rich
01-16-2011, 1:08 PM
Leo, I'm not quite sure what you mean by your post. Are you saying I am not forthcoming? I just told everyone how I do what I do & shared a totally new approach to woodturning. I have dial-up and cannot send 50 pictures each time I do something. If you are unhappy, I am sorry. If I have misread your post, please explain,

Steve LaFara
01-16-2011, 1:41 PM
Michelle, I appreciate you giving some insight on your techniques although I don't undestand some of them being a newbie. Are you saying that the recent piece you posted (Circles within circles) was made by stacking pieces that were cut with a router first or turned as one piece and routed on both sides in stages?

However you accomplished it, the results are extraordinary!

Scott Hackler
01-16-2011, 2:07 PM
Michelle,

I think Leo, myself and many may others didn't gain the information we were hoping for in your post. Part of the problem may be a description issue and part may be an unwillingness to disclose the "secret technique". The explanation you gave in post 1, was criptic as best. If you want to keep the technique secret thats perfectly fine, but I believe Leo (and others, including myself) feel that OUR little group here is generally very open, with detailed step by step descriptions... of the pieces we post. Your designs are unique to YOU and no one can take that away, even if someone else trys to mimic or copy your designs... you would still be known as the creator. After most of your posts, several people will ask about your techniques and usually we receive no replies. I don't remember anyone else that post pictures for our viewing pleasure, not answering any and ALL questions regarding "how is it made". A lot is just trying to gain information on techniques that might be incorporated in our own work. Some is just curiousity.

I and others really enjoy seeing your post and examining your designs. But we still dont know HOW you made those pieces.

Without a CNC, it appears to me that you have devised a jig and use a router on a flat blank you have turned round. Speculation is frustrating and these pieces don't appear to be possible without a router/jig setup. One thing is sure, you aren't "turning" those groved circle patterns... so how about a real explanation?

If you want to share....great...., I would suggest a step by step, detailed explanation of one of your pieces. Pictures would be great if possible. If you don't care to share.... like Leo suggest, you probably wont get a lot of help from the "group" when YOU have questions. Not being confrontational, just truthfull.

Michelle Rich
01-16-2011, 3:09 PM
Scott: there is no secret technique. The only "secret" was my new approach: organic segmentation. It is a new idea, but really just a bit of lateral thinking.I gave it to you freely. Why are you threatening me.? I DID IT MY WAY was organic segmentation. The rings on the front were cut from a master on the lathe and glued to the parts underneath. Escargots, same thing.
As I read your post and many others you think there is a magic tool somewhere. There is none. heck I'd love a magic tool. It would make these a 10 minute job, not a 2 day job. This is simply good tool usage, clever thinking, breaking a design into small parts and then finding ways with the ususal shop tools to achieve the look I want.
I'm sorry you all are unhappy. I have tried to answer your requests. You appear to be unhappy with my answers, but I can not make up a tool, or a magic way to do these. By trying to answer your request as best as I am able, you have chosen to threaten me. Please refrain from that, it is truly impolite. I am now sorry I tried to answer your requests. I will be more circumspect in the future.

Michelle Rich
01-16-2011, 3:14 PM
Thank you Steve. I have posted 5-6-7 pieces here at SMC. Each one different & each one used multiple tools. I have worked at this for 15 months. It is terribly hard to explain to folks how I do this, beause as I say, each piece required a different approach. No one has ever done it before, so i have no where to go to get ideas.
I hope you enjoy your time here at SMC. There are many many excellent turners here who gladly share their "art" expertise, and ideas on tools etc. I hope to see your turnings soon.

Roger Chandler
01-16-2011, 3:23 PM
Michelle,

I just want to thank you for posting, and showing us innovative turnings........that is enough for me, even though I was one asking about the "how do you do that"........I do appreciate your work, skill and innovations! :)

Greg Ketell
01-16-2011, 3:52 PM
Michelle,

I personally want to thank you for your postings. I love looking at your beautiful pieces of art and trying to figure out how you did it, or more accurately, how *I* would do it if I were trying to make a piece like that. I was taught long ago that the road of self discovery teaches more than how to reach the destination. Your objects d'art do just that. The hints you give above point to the beginning of my road. Thank you!!

John Keeton
01-16-2011, 4:01 PM
Michelle, your work is appreciated, as is your willingness to share it here on SMC. That is really all that is important. I enjoy each of your works - for different reasons as I have stated. Some are just purely mesmerizing! Some compel one to really examine all that is going on. All are truly works of art. I don't need to know any more than that. Thanks for what you share and I hope you continue to do so! Negative space is a compelling concept!

Scott Crumpton
01-16-2011, 4:08 PM
Michelle,

It's too bad the second posting in this thread set the tone for the thread. I think it's more of a communications issue than anything else. Some things are "just so simple that it defies explanation." By this I mean that the originator of an idea fully understands the process and can communicate it, but the listener comes to the conversation with preconceived ideas and is unable to comprehend the process until they let go of those preconceived ideas. I'll admit that "Organic Segmentation" threw me for a loop, even with your explanation. Then, in your later post where you mentioned laminating the the disc, it all made sense. Now with a more open mind, I think I can look at your other works again and figure it out. Thanks for showing us some new techniques.

---Scott.

Michelle Rich
01-16-2011, 4:43 PM
Scott-- I wouldn't try that technique on Hybrid..that's a 5 center turning. Just on a lathe..no other tool than sandpaper. !!

Steve Vaughan
01-16-2011, 4:43 PM
Curiosity is getting ready to kill this cat right here. Michelle, your work sounds really cool and I've missed it somehow. Can you or someone tell me how to see your previous posts where you show your work? Would love to see it, and BTW, I was ok with your original post. My read on it was that I've got to start paying more attention to what I'm doing and realize there's so many more possibilities out there to create something cool. What a great place for ideas and challenge for the next project!

Don Alexander
01-16-2011, 4:54 PM
Michelle;

your negative space work is intriguing to me though not to the point that i am tempted to try it anytime soon ; very creative/innovative and interesting to see

keep up the good work and please keep sharing the results

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2011, 4:55 PM
Steve - click on Michelle's name to get to her personal profile page. Then, on the upper left box, click on Find all Started Threads and that will open a window with all the threads she started.

Michelle - trying to describe one's work can be challenging - especially when describing something that the other person has never experienced before. This is one of those times where a picture saves a thousand words... but being on dial-up does pose a problem for you. One option is to become a member of the Authors Group and publish an article on what it is you do and how to create it. You would have access to your document for as long as it takes to edit and add photos as time allows. Also, there are mods willing to assist as needed. Just something for you to consider.

Personally - when it comes to your work - I have absolutely no idea of how you are creating these negative space turnings but appreciate the effect they have and the sense of wonder they create! I don't need anything more than that... Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Scott Hackler
01-16-2011, 5:04 PM
Michelle I appologise if you thought I was threating you, in ANY way. I was not. The other Scott is correct that this was a communication problem. No one, till now, had heard the term "organic segmentation". You coined this to describe your technique. To you it made sence, but to me it didn't explain your procedure....it sounded like avoiding the question. That is what prompted my post.

Now in you responce to me, you seemed to have answered our questions. I (and most others) now understand how you go about these pieces. Your process is a lot more involved than I would have guessed.

It all makes sence now. Its a shame the tone got carried away.

Not that it matters but ...."I turn individual rings of different dimensions, cut them apart and glue them back together on at least one other layer." Would have avoided a mis-communication on ALL parts.

Excellent work and I have a larger respect for it knowing how its parially done.....now.

Rick Markham
01-16-2011, 5:24 PM
Michelle, Thanks for sharing some insights of your Organic segmentation. Your work is truly inspiring, and very pleasing to the eye. There are a few artist out there that are using negative space, with wood as a medium. Are you familiar with David C. Roy? I honestly don't know if he uses turning, but he may be using some similar techniques that you are, in any regards he does some inspiring kinetic sculpture as well. Maybe you can draw some inspiration from him. (I enjoy looking at his artwork) Here's his website: http://www.woodthatworks.com/gallery-sculptures/

I am looking forward to seeing more of your work and learning more about some of the unique techniques your using!

David DeCristoforo
01-16-2011, 5:36 PM
This whole thing can be a bit of a "sticky wicket". Especially when one is "feeling the way" and delving into previously unexplored territory. It may not be possible to explain one's techniques because these "techniques" are really individual experiments rather than specific processes that are clearly understood by the maker. A statement like "For those of you who want specifics, I cannot give those, as there really are none." should not be interpreted as a reluctance to share but more an honest acceptance that chance is still playing a role in the process.

Richard Madden
01-16-2011, 7:29 PM
Michelle,
I love your work. With each piece you show us, I have wondered how you do that. I think I've asked that question a couple of times, and now you have shed some light on it. I thought it was way over my capabilities, and now I know it is! Thank you for sharing.

Cathy Schaewe
01-16-2011, 8:29 PM
This whole thing can be a bit of a "sticky wicket". Especially when one is "feeling the way" and delving into previously unexplored territory. It may not be possible to explain one's techniques because these "techniques" are really individual experiments rather than specific processes that are clearly understood by the maker. A statement like "For those of you who want specifics, I cannot give those, as there really are none." should not be interpreted as a reluctance to share but more an honest acceptance that chance is still playing a role in the process.

I agree. Thank you for expressing it so well. This is one forum where I do not expect to hear such negative commentary as has been found in this thread, and it has disappointed me.

Clint Baxter
01-16-2011, 8:51 PM
I have to admit that when I first read your original post that I didn't understand the message that was there. Only after reading that post a couple more times did I begin to feel that I understood what you were conveying to us. I've been fascinated with your negative space pieces and being the inquisitive type I am, wanted to at least get an idea of how you were able to create these works of art. I'm still not convinced that i can entirely visualize what you presented us, but the seeds have been sowed and the ideas are a germinating. Thanks for your post and I look forward to seeing your next work of art.

Clint

Greg Just
01-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Michelle:

I love your work and have been fascinated by your creations. I would consider the process you have developed to be proprietary and you are not obligated in anyway to share the details. I think you could write a book on it, we would all buy it and you would be really a rich Michelle.

Thanks for sharing all your great work and please continue. Someday I'll figure it out!

Greg

Michelle Rich
01-17-2011, 7:59 AM
Rick: thank you so much for sharing that website. Kinetic wood sculpture is delightful I enjoy it so much. In a way this reminds me of wooden clocks that are finding favor these days. I had never heard of mr. Roy. Your post improved my day!

Michelle Rich
01-17-2011, 8:03 AM
Thank you David

Leo Van Der Loo
01-17-2011, 2:31 PM
Leo, I'm not quite sure what you mean by your post. Are you saying I am not forthcoming? I just told everyone how I do what I do & shared a totally new approach to woodturning. I have dial-up and cannot send 50 pictures each time I do something. If you are unhappy, I am sorry. If I have misread your post, please explain,

Michelle Yes I do think you are less than forthright, and that is just fine with me, you certainly have the right to keep your process secret, but why not just say so, rather than inventing new words.

It is easy to say that you have worked hard to get to this point and having to make a living doing this, you are not willing to give this away.

Or you could have said what you did in earlier post, at least then those that are interested do have some idea of how you get there, it doesn't diminish the end-result if you use a what, "soupspoon" to make it for instance.

I thought these earlier answers were much better, 178458 178459

Dave MacArthur
01-17-2011, 7:13 PM
I was surprised and disappointed at the tone in a couple replies to this thread, and frankly I was offended for Michelle. There is such a thing as social tact, and no one should be badgered and badgered until they are forced to say to your face, "I obviously would have posted a video and details if I had wanted to, stop asking you rude person--have some tact."

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an artist keeping their exact detailed methodology to themselves. If they produce original work with non-obvious technique or difficult technique required, then that is certainly part of their art and proprietary. They should not be expected to give out tutorials so that every other person can replicate their technique without any effort. This is not in the same realm as "how do you make a smooth cut with a bowl gouge", this is clearly into the realm of proprietary cleverness. Protecting clever ideas and technique are certainly about the only way for an artist to gain the equivalent of copyright or patent protection, and we should support their right to keep some benefits of their hard work and innovation to themselves. Yes you can ask, and I suppose you could ask twice; three times you're starting to be uncouth, and by the 20th time you're plainly a boor; and when you begin to castigate them for not sharing their one clever thing that they've discovered because it's clearly your right to have everything THEY have... well, you're no gentleman. We all love when someone shares and teaches us, and this forum is fantastic for it--bravo! But we should not therefore forget that it was hugely generous, not our "right", and maintain a thankful and gracious attitude rather than an entitlement attitude.

Michelle, I've loved your work, the cleverness of the cuts and the unknown of how it was accomplished is part of what makes me enjoy staring at it, and it is surely Art that interests and challenges the observer. There is enjoyment in wondering and thinking "THAT's clever!", and knowing it's not as easy as watching a youtube video and programming a CNC. I think if I had the "escargots" piece hanging on my wall, I'd look at it and imagine the artist working away through the years perfecting an idea, late nights in the shop testing this and that... It makes me empathized with your work and art, and connect with someone grinding away by themselves to create something beautiful. Sorry to jump into your defense a bit, but I find a LOT of artistic value in the uniqueness of your work. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing more of your art.

Josh Bowman
01-17-2011, 7:52 PM
Michelle, I have enjoyed your work and find it very thought provoking as to your methods. However, I don't think words could even attempt to explain the complexity of the forms design. Personally for me, I'm content with the mystery and beauty of the pieces. I look forward to your next work and its inspiration. Thank you for taking the time to photograph and share your art.

Steve Kubien
01-17-2011, 8:36 PM
So "organic segmentation " was born. Cutting pieces in the shape I wanted and stacking them 2-3-4 layers high, then turning. Mixing concepts. some use scrollwork where I drew what I wanted on the wood and then cut out what i did not want, then turned. Some use carving & turning. Some use drill bits. Whatever tool I have that will get the look I want is used.

Michelle, you said everything you needed to say in this quote, in your initial message. Relax. Some people choose not to read very closely (I am often guilty of that) and then get uptight when the world doesn't spin the way they desire. Your work is very cool and innovative (I haven't seen anything like it). Way too much thinking and futzing for me (I tend to throw things in my shop).

Be well!
Steve

Deb Starchuk
01-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Michelle I may not understand much about turning, YET, but your work is beautiful and very inspirational. I appreciate your sharing it and trying to convey your brilliance as an artist to the rest of us. Thank you.