PDA

View Full Version : Which router?

Michael Campbell
01-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Posted this over on woodnet, but that forum changes SO fast, I'm afraid I will lose the answers. That said, apologies for the duplication.

===
I'm going to the woodworking show in a couple weeks here in atlanta, and to date, I don't have a nice router so figured I might catch a deal there.

What I'm looking for is something that will last me a while, will accept 1/2" and 1/4" bits, maybe fixed and plunge base, and most importantly, will accept most of the third party add-ons like fences, collars, etc.

I'm a hobbyist at best, so this need not be top of the line, but something I can use for a few years.

A "nice to have" would be soft-start.

I WON'T be throwing around raised-panel bits with it. (If I get into that, I'll buy another router FOR that.)

As welcome are opinions on models to stay away FROM.

Jim Fancher
01-10-2005, 11:46 PM
I have the Porter Cable 895PK kit which includes the fixed base, plunge base, and a wrench to adjust bit height above the router table. The kit also comes with 1/4" and 1/2" collets. I got mine for $229 + shipping from Coastal Tools. Their price is $269 with a $40 instant rebate.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/895pk.htm?L+coastest+zsry8929ff87f187+1105492796

I believe Bosch makes a really nice kit that runs about $200. Sears sells the same model but it's a different color and include a router table wrench like the PC for about $220.

There are quite a few good router kits out there. I doubt you would regret getting any of the well known name brands that are within your budget.

Greg Mann
01-11-2005, 1:29 AM
What Jim said.

Bill Arnold
01-11-2005, 8:23 AM
... I have the kit as well as two other 1617EVS routers and I love 'em! They have soft start (as do most newer routers). Until recently, I used one of them in my router table and ran raised panels just fine. You might have to make a couple of extra passes when making raised panels to ease the strain on the motor and bearings.

I recently got a Hitachi M12V for the table and it's performing great!

Maurice Ungaro
01-11-2005, 8:25 AM
I'll put a plug in for the Makita 1101. I got the kit which came with both fixed and plunge bases, etc. Makita makes the smoothest and quietest motor on the market. Having said that, the PC model with the adjustability ABOVE the router table is a real nice feature to have.

Another one to look at is the Hitachi M12......$159 from Amazon.

Maurice

Jeff Sudmeier
01-11-2005, 8:26 AM
What ever router you choose, get one with both the plunge base and the fixed base. My router only has the plunge base and can be a bit bulky to use, when you don't need the plunge action.

Jim Dunn
01-11-2005, 8:49 AM
Mike,

I like my 690 series PC router. Has both the fix and plunge base with 1/4 and 1/2" collets. Now I had my choice of products as it was purchased with a gift card but I chose the PC brand. I did this because of several reasons the most important of which was accessories available. Seem most every one making top/tables/bases makes them to fit the PC first.

My 2c/t's

Jim Becker
01-11-2005, 9:04 AM
Just about any of the 12 amp ("2.5hp") kits from the majors will do you fine. I think that at present the PC 890 series and the Dewalt 618 series are about the cream of the crop. (I own the Dewalt with all three bases and like it a lot)

Keith Christopher
01-11-2005, 9:23 AM
Just about any of the 12 amp ("2.5hp") kits from the majors will do you fine. I think that at present the PC 890 series and the Dewalt 618 series are about the cream of the crop. (I own the Dewalt with all three bases and like it a lot)
*nod* *nod* totall agreement with Jim here.

John Weber
01-11-2005, 9:56 AM
I tend to agree with Jim Dunn the most, however almost all the name brand routers are good. At the show you can put your hands on Porter Cable, DeWalt, Bosch, Makita, etc... and see what feels the best. The reason I like the 690's is they are bullet proof, smallish compared to some of the newer routers, fit well in the hand, and a very good value. Lowe's has the fixed base 690 for $99. Add a plunge base kit with a D-handle as well and maybe a free edge guide from Woodworker Supply for around $199. You may want to go with one of the newer routers for a little more, they typically offer a rack and pinnion height adjustment, variable speed, soft start, etc... You won't go wrong with any of the routers mentioned.

John

Doug Shepard
01-11-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm kind of partial to the DeWalt DW621. It's a 2HP plunge, but not quite as heavy/clumsy as some of the bigger 3HP plunge routers. The plunge mechanism is one of the better ones made, and it's got a built-in dust collection port. I've had mine for about 15 yrs now with no problems except for one collet that got worn out and had to be replaced.

Chris DeHut
01-11-2005, 11:49 AM
There are many good routers out there right now, especially if you stick to the name brand tools. As for third party accessories, this is something to watch close as there are many differences with regard to how they attach, and as such, not all devices work with all routers.

For me, one of the most important features of a router is how well it fits my hands. I know this sounds trivial, but some routers are just awkward to hold and use which to me creates an unsafe situation. I can't really put a "finger" on what it is about some routers that simply don't feel right, but this is what I look (feel) for.

I hold the router as if I was using it.

I then "Feel" for the on-off switch - does my hand find it without hunting?
The same process for the plunge lock on a plunge router, do I have to hunt for it. Then the handles, do they fit my hands or are they too big or too small.

These next items pertain to the plunge routers only. Fiddle with the depth stop rod, make some adjustments to see how well it works. Some of the best brand routers on the market have very poorly designed plunge rods and locking mechanisms. Now plunge the router and raise it a few times, does it work smoothly or does it bind and stick - very important for plunge router to have a smooth action.

Finally, be sure you know what attachements you want, then make sure they can be used with the router.

Hope this helps!

Chris DeHut

Jim Becker
01-11-2005, 2:16 PM
Chris speaks well...how comfortable in your hands is the ultimate test. It helped make my own decision.

Ellen Benkin
01-11-2005, 2:23 PM
I also second Chris' advice. For example, lots of people love the DeWalt plunge routers, but I find the locking system too hard to use while the router is running, so I prefer the Bosch. For a fixed router, the PCs seem to be the standard and any accessories should work with them. Go to the show and hold all of them in your hands as though they were spinning away. Also check out the different systems for changing bits. Get all the sales people to tell you why theirs is best -- that should be a lot of fun!

Bob Noles
01-11-2005, 7:04 PM
I purchased the DW618PK a few months ago and absolutely love the thing. Many good choices out there and it can be a trying experience making a decision, I know first hand:confused:

These fellas are stirring you in a good direction and the have the background to back it all up... me... I'm just a newbie putting my $.02 worth in :cool:

Good luck with the hobby. I am on fire with it at the moment.

Pete Rosenbohm
01-11-2005, 7:16 PM
Go with the Hitachi M12V if you are gone to put it in a table. Have mine two plus years and haven't looked back since.:D

Larry D. Wagner
01-11-2005, 7:41 PM
I have several routers and all have been alright used within their capabilities. I own several Craftsman's and the only one I really like is the 2 HP Pro Model(I have it in my small table), a Makita Plunger which is pretty good and easy to handle, an older Dewalt 610 which has been a real workhorse earlier in my WW times, and I have had a Dewalt 618 kit(2 Bases) for about a year now and this is the best unit I have ever used. My dad has PC's and while being very good routers, they are not as user freindly for me as the Dewalt's. I will be purchasing a Dewalt 625 in the not to distant future for a new table I'll be building.

Listen to the advice above and get one that is the most comfortable to you and this alone will make it safer to use. Whatever brand you choose, get one you can operate safely and it will serve you well.

My .02 worth!

Larry D. Wagner:) :) :)

Dave Avery
01-11-2005, 7:47 PM
Another vote for the Makita RF1101 kit

Ted Shrader
01-11-2005, 8:52 PM
I have the Porter Cable 895PK kit which includes the fixed base, plunge base, and a wrench to adjust bit height above the router table. The kit also comes with 1/4" and 1/2" collets. I got mine for $229 + shipping from Coastal Tools. Their price is $269 with a $40 instant rebate.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/895pk.htm?L+coastest+zsry8929ff87f187+1105492796

I believe Bosch makes a really nice kit that runs about $200. Sears sells the same model but it's a different color and include a router table wrench like the PC for about $220.

There are quite a few good router kits out there. I doubt you would regret getting any of the well known name brands that are within your budget.Michael -

Yep! This is a good choice. Maybe even get it with the edge guide thrown in.

Ted

Dan Schafer
01-11-2005, 11:42 PM
I have the Bosch 1617EVSPK combo pack and I love it. It comes with a fixed and plunge base. The soft start and variable speed control are great. What I like is that is much quieter (well, for a router anyhow) than my Craftsman router, and the depth adjustment works well for me.

Back when I got it from Amazon it came bundled with an edge guide and a non-slip mat. Now it they say this "Includes a free deluxe edge guide, a $39.99 value, plus a $100 accessory package featuring a centering cone, 5/8-, 7/16-, and 5/16-inch template guides, plunge base, dust hood, and fine adjustment extension knob, when you purchase this Bosch router combination pack from Amazon.com. Go figure.:rolleyes:

They are also offering $25 off for purchases over $200, and the kit is priced at $219 with free shipping. (I assume that means it's $194)

I'm not affiliated with Amazon in any way (other than being an occaisional customer) but I just thought I'd mention that since I haven't seen it offered with all those add-ons anywhere else.

Arnie Grammon
01-12-2005, 12:25 AM
If I was in your shoes one question should be answered before proceeding any further......table or handheld? In a perfect world, we should have two or three routers per shop......plunge base, fixed base, and table mounted.

Why? Some of the best, most economical choices for a table may not be a fantastic choice for handheld. The Hitachi m12v is an example....great table router...average (heavy and awkward) handheld.

A great choice for a handheld would be to go with a combo kit (PC, DeWalt, or Bosch), although it still would be a compromise for real power in a table, assuming you need all that power.

Cross the first bridge.....table or handheld?

One more thing.....the above kits and routers are fantastic values compared to what were available not that many years ago.

Arnie

Kelly C. Hanna
01-12-2005, 7:38 AM
I have the Bosch 1617 and aside from the corrosion, it's great. I think they have fixed that problem now. I have worked with a few PC's in my time and liked them all.

But I know if I had to buy another table router, it would be the Hitachi M12V. Amazon had them for $159 last week.

Michael Campbell
01-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks, everyone.

Seems there's an embarassment of riches out there at the moment as choices go. I think I'll go to the show, hold a few of them and see what I think.

ANOTHER problem I have right now is that I already have 2 routers! Both craftsman, both old, both 1/4", and neither plunge, variable speed, nor soft start. I have one in the wing of my table saw in the router table capacity, but I'm really looking for plunge, 1/2", soft start, etc.

The problem is, I KNOW I'll want to use the "new" one (whatever it is) in the table too when I get it, if for no other reason than the 1/2" collet.

ONe thought I had was to get a plunge/fixed kit, and put the fixed in the table, and just swap the motor around as needed.

I'm so new at this though, I can't really SAY if I do more table or more handheld use. <sigh>