PDA

View Full Version : Small Bowl

Jeff Luedloff
01-16-2011, 10:26 AM
This small bowl made of Beech. Bowl is 5 1/2 inches round and 2 1/4 inches tall. textured band with a Sorby texture tool (inspired by Bill Hensley's post) , dyed brown and outline with a V grove filled in with a black sharpie. sealed with Zinsser Bullseye sealcoat then 2 coats of lacquer.

I had to turn a bowl be i forgot how..LOL... I had a new student this past Saturday with a mini jet and no chuck, so i had to tune up on glue blocking again and jam chucking. Hes taking bowl turning sessions.

John Keeton
01-16-2011, 1:02 PM
Nice bowl, and the accent ring adds a lot to this one, Jeff.

Frank Van Atta
01-16-2011, 1:23 PM
That's a great looking bowl; the accent band makes it, methinks.

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2011, 5:53 PM
Really like the accent ring on this one! Nice combo of colors and texture!

Harry Robinette
01-16-2011, 9:08 PM
Jeff
I like it, especially the coloring of the texture.It might be the pic,my eye's or my computer but I'm seeing a little fuzz on the texture,if so I hit all my texture with a natural brissel brush cut down to about 3/4" or even 1/2" most all the guys doing texturing use one of these.
Just remember it might be my eyes and I really do like it.
Harry

Donny Lawson
01-16-2011, 9:21 PM
Very nice bowl. I like the extra touch.
Donny

Michael Short
01-16-2011, 9:45 PM
Great looking feature ring. The dye really makes the texture stand out.

Mike

Roger Chandler
01-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Very nice bowl. Accent ring really sets it off............classic form for a footed bowl, I like it!

David E Keller
01-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Nice job. The color and texture really dress it up.

Baxter Smith
01-16-2011, 10:35 PM
The feature ring on this one really dresses it up! Makes a plain bowl look anything but plain!

Ron Stadler
01-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Nice lookin bowl Jeff, well done accent ring also.

Jeff Luedloff
01-17-2011, 6:19 AM
Jeff
I like it, especially the coloring of the texture.It might be the pic,my eye's or my computer but I'm seeing a little fuzz on the texture,if so I hit all my texture with a natural brissel brush cut down to about 3/4" or even 1/2" most all the guys doing texturing use one of these.
Just remember it might be my eyes and I really do like it.
Harry

Harry, thanks for the tip, I took shavings and burnish it a little before dyeing. This is my first real a temp at texturing. Would appreciate any other tips anyone can give me.

Bill Hensley
01-17-2011, 1:42 PM
Hey Jeff, nicely done! Looks like you got it. I turn beech and it's pretty non-descript so embellishments help.

The texture looks like you had the tool tilted some, if so, did you use a post to stop it from running away?

I have a nylon bristle parts brush I'll clean it up with and I might use some 400 grit sandpaper to gently knock the edges down.

steven carter
01-17-2011, 3:11 PM
Nice looking bowl Jeff. The accent ring turns a plain grained bowl into a showpiece!

Steve

Jeff Luedloff
01-17-2011, 4:47 PM
Hey Jeff, nicely done! Looks like you got it. I turn beech and it's pretty non-descript so embellishments help.

The texture looks like you had the tool tilted some, if so, did you use a post to stop it from running away?

I have a nylon bristle parts brush I'll clean it up with and I might use some 400 grit sandpaper to gently knock the edges down.

Bill, Harry mention a brush also, which i didn't use. Had speed set at 500 rpms, Sorby texuring tool on 1.5 on angle with the smallest wheel, set it on tool rest and man handle it. did you make your own post? went over it a couple of times with texture tool. maybe that's why its fuzzy looking? didnt know if i should hit it with sandpaper, so i just burnish with shavings.

Bill Hensley
01-17-2011, 5:17 PM
Jeff my tool rest has a 1/4" hole to drop a bolt into. I put a sleeve of poly tubing on the bolt to hold it up high enough to rest the tool against.

The tool I'm using is this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTKLkJorTYE

Josh Bowman
01-17-2011, 8:11 PM
Jeff, that's a great detail on the bowl. I really like it.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-17-2011, 8:27 PM
Jeff, Nice treatment on this one.

Harry Robinette
01-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Bill
Watch using anything other then nature brissel brushes,I've had them melt and color the texture and you can't get it off.I hope it doesn't happen to you.
Harry

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Really nice bowl. I do like the texturing on it.

Bill Hensley
01-18-2011, 6:27 AM
Harry, good point. I don't turn the lathe on, I rotate by hand and use a light scrubbing motion.

Mike Peace
01-18-2011, 6:34 PM
That's a great idea to use a contrasting sharpie to define the textured area. I will have to try that. Now I need to find a natural bristle brush and keep that handy for my texturing. Sometimes I need to see the same tip more than once before it registers!

Jeff Luedloff
01-18-2011, 7:52 PM
Thank all of you, for your comments and tips to help me in the future.