PDA

View Full Version : Photo on rubber?

Charity Newland
01-16-2011, 9:09 AM
Good morning,
I had a local scrapbook store ask about making custom rubber stamps using photo's.
I have a versalaser 25w. and 1-touch. Is this something I can do or would want to do and what would I charge. And is one type of rubber going to be better then another. I went though the old post a found lots of good info.(hope its not the stinky stuff I would need to use) They currently send out the art and get a plate back and make them from that point but no longer have a source for doing photos. And any pointers would be great!
Thanks,
Charity

Dan Hintz
01-16-2011, 11:47 AM
How badly do you want to make a few pennies?

25W will be slow cutting rubber (not to mention stinky), and to have any real detail the stamp will be large , which means a long run time. Considering stock stamps go for $5-$8, there's little profit unless the client is willing to pay $60+ for a single stamp.

mike berry
01-16-2011, 12:10 PM
There isn't enough money to make me want to do rubber in my laser. It smells, it's dirty, it's just not worth it to me. Granted, everybody is different :)

In our store we do the liquid polymenr, no smell, nothing hazardous, cleans up with water :)

Martin Boekers
01-16-2011, 8:48 PM
I used to have a Brother Stamp Creator, I'm sure you can find them on ebay.

Basically it's a photo process (no chemicals though) much easier than laser.

Check out Jackson Marketing Products in Illinois

Marty

Bill Cunningham
01-16-2011, 9:43 PM
I used to do quite a few photos with rubber stamps. but that was back in the days when you used negatives, hard masters, stamp matrix, and vulcanized rubber, and didn't really value my time as much as I do now.. A laser can cut small ones fairly quickly from photopolymer, and I usually charge a minimum of $25.00.. The reason the commercial stamps they sell in craft stores are so cheap, is them make them by the hundreds in one pressing using metal masters, a large vulcanizer, and rubber..And now, they make them in China as well..

Martin Boekers
01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
The Stamp Creator was an all in one piece.

You load the digital art to it, it printed then "shuffled" the printed mylar
into place, then you put the size and color stamp in place, you pushed
the cover down which triggered the flash unit then you pressed the stamp
holder together and let it sit for a few hours while the ink worked it's way into
the pad. Voila! self-inking stamp.

I too charged about $25ea retail. Didn't do enough of them so now if
someone wants one I recommend the closest Office Depot or Office Max.

Bill Cunningham
01-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Those are 'flash' stamps.. Kinda like a hand held mini screen printer..