PDA

View Full Version : AAW Symposium questions

Scott Hackler
01-16-2011, 12:57 AM
OK, Im fairly new in the woodturning world (relatively speaking) and since I have NEVER been to a woodturning show or symposium of any kind, I have a few questions for those who know.

1) Would it be worth a 10 hour drive and the expense of fuel, food and lodging to attend if I only did the public access things (i.e, free things)?

2) What exactly would the $250 for me and $150 for my wife allow me to do that the general public can't?

3) I understand the for the paid entry fee I "could" bring up to 3 items for the instant gallery. Is this just to show off your stuff or is it a judged competition. (+ I don't know if any of my stuff is "Symposium worthy".

4) Is there enough to do to validate more than a 1 whole day visit? For both paid and public admission?

5) Are there "rock star" type bargains to be had at the vendor show?

Sorry about all the questions but I am seriously thinking about going, but $400 just for the entry....well that seems like quite a bit and if the public access is really limited I am wondering if I would regret the long drive if I didn't cough up the dough....

I figure between entry fees, hotel, fuel and food I could easily drop $750 and that doesn't even count the goodies I might want to buy from vendors... Yikes!!

Alan Trout
01-16-2011, 2:48 AM
It really depends on what you are looking for. I have never been to a national symposium but from my understanding SWAT symposium is a very good comparison which I have been to. I feel the demo's are worth the time if for nothing else but expand your ideas and ways of working. It is my understanding that there are so many different demonstrations that you can do a different one on every rotation for more than 3 days so there will be plenty to do. I had several items at the instant gallery at SWAT this last year and one of my pieces was picked by Molly Winton for public critic during the banquet. She was one of the lead demonstrators and picked 3 of her favorite pieces to talk about. That was quite an honor for me and a wonderful ego booster as well as motivation. I also sold a piece for "Real" money which paid for my weekend and paid for a few tools.

There were some good deals but not enough to cover the cost of the trip. It is nice you can fondle some pretty neat lathes and tooling. It makes it really easy to make a nice wish list.

I met a lot or really neat people at SWAT and I had a ball talking shop with them. It was a great time and I am really looking forward to the National Symposium. I plan on taking some Item for the instant gallery. I don't know if I will buy much stuff but I sure will have fun looking and learning.

Good Luck

Alan

John Keeton
01-16-2011, 6:45 AM
Scott, glad you asked this question!! I don't see the need to pay for my wife to attend - Lord knows, with a vehicle she would have enough fun without me - too many new fabric shops to see!:eek:

I would add to your list of questions -

Other than the fellowship, what are the advantages of attending the banquet?

What are the benefits of the Instant Gallery other than the critique situation Alan spoke of?

There are a LOT of demonstrators - not knowing most of the names, how would one get an idea of the topic - will there be a more explicit description early enough to plan how one might best utilize their time?

And, with the crowd attending, how well are the demonstrations presented visually - wide screens, etc.? It doesn't do much good to be in the back of the room without some substantial visual aids.

Bob Jensen
01-16-2011, 7:54 AM
The general public can view the instant gallery and go to the vendor area without paying admission, paying admission gets you into seing any and all of the pro demo's which there are many over the course of 3 days. The demo's are all very well done and are on big screens in each room so no matter where you sit in the room you have excellent viewing.

Dennis Ford
01-16-2011, 8:06 AM
Like Allen, I have been to SWAT but not the national symposium. I enjoyed it very much but be warned; it is very difficult to resist spending money at the vendors booths. The demonstrations were good learning experience for both technique and design ideas. This was an important part of the symposium for me. The video setup makes the demonstrations good from the front or from the back of the room. The gallery is like a giant version of the "Show & Tell" we have at local club meetings (without the "Tell" part), I get a lot of inspiration for looking at other peoples work and usually bring some of my own turnings.

Thom Sturgill
01-16-2011, 8:32 AM
I have been to the NC symposium and the Florida symposium, and will be going back to the Florida Symposium next month. In both cases, descriptions of the rotation schedule were on-line well before the symposium date. If you are willing to sell, the instant gallery is a venue, and sales do occur, but security was variable and I had a piece stolen at the Florida symposium. At the banquet at NC symposium, and at a 'meet & greet' at the Florida symposium, an auction was held - I bought my first G3 chuck + insert for $100 with the money going to the education fund which helped sponsor someone's week at the John C Campbell Folk School or at Arrowmount.

The vendor areas are generally well supplied with vendors, both of wood and tools, with some of the best 'deals' being prices on blanks at the end of the show. You can generally depend on Craft Supply and Woodcraft being there if my experience is typical.

Doug W Swanson
01-16-2011, 9:05 AM
Scott,
I am also glad you asked this question. Even though I live near St Paul and don't have to pay for gas, lodging, meals etc, I was wondering if the $250 was worth it for me. I've looked at the list of noted turners and it seems like it would be money well spent but we are a single income family and $250 is substantial.

I'm sure I will go since it is in my backyard but I might be bringing a sack lunch!

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I attended the Richmond Symposium. It was great. I attended several rotations each day, attended the gallery and of course there are the vendors which of course I spent more money. I didn't make it to the banquet because of other commitments. I met some great people at this outing and had lunch with Bill Grumbine, Larry Hasiak, Hilel Solamon, and Eli Avisera. What a treat. Got to meet Binh Pho, Cindy Drozda, Dale Larson and Richard Raffan all of which were willing to answer any questions and explain some of their procedures. One great thing was the special interest night where we met from 7:30 to 9:00 on one evening. I attended the box making forum given by Ed Moore, Mike Stafford, Richard Raffan, Benoit Averly, Mark St Leger, Kip Christensen, Kurt Hertzog and others who I cannot remember now. This alone was almost worth the price of admission. It definitely was worth it IMHO. Like John I had the wife drop me off and she had no problem finding things to do for three days.

George Guadiane
01-16-2011, 2:17 PM
1) I was just at the New Haven Symposium and have been to at least half a dozen Totally Turning Symposia in Upstate NY. My first before I had ever turned anything - it was what hooked me). The Nationals have SO MUCH outstanding work that one could spend several days just investigating the instant gallery... Add to that, the magnificent collection of vendors and their wide ranging selection of tools, many with demonstrations, and some with hands on. There are a lot of Nationally known turners ready to answer questions and give advice (but don't hog them). YES, it's worth the time, gas, etc, even if you just go for that.

2) In depth demonstrations, and at the National, a compendium of reference materials from each of the demonstrators. As was mentioned, your wife (unless she's a turner foo, or very interested) might rather do other things. This year's should be particularly fantastic as it includes a 25 year anniversary aspect.

3) Your work will be much appreciated, we like to see what others are doing. I don't know, but I think you can bring work even if you don't pay - check into it. Some items are offered for sale and of those, some actually transact.

4) If you pay, rest up before and pace yourself! AND, understand, that when you leave, you will still feel like there were just not enough hours in the day.

5) There ARE deals that are "show only." And many of those raise the overall value of making the trip.

Keep in mind, that it's not just a matter of how much it costs (unless one can't afford it - which I couldn't for quite a while), its also how much it is worth.
I can only comment on the National from the standpoint of a single event, but having been to one, I'm sorry I haven't been to more, and I'm definitely going to as many as I can in the future -

This year, I'll be there unless I'm dead.

charlie knighton
01-16-2011, 3:46 PM
Scott, glad you asked this question!! I don't see the need to pay for my wife to attend - Lord knows, with a vehicle she would have enough fun without me - too many new fabric shops to see!:eek:

I would add to your list of questions -

Other than the fellowship, what are the advantages of attending the banquet?

What are the benefits of the Instant Gallery other than the critique situation Alan spoke of?

There are a LOT of demonstrators - not knowing most of the names, how would one get an idea of the topic - will there be a more explicit description early enough to plan how one might best utilize their time?

And, with the crowd attending, how well are the demonstrations presented visually - wide screens, etc.? It doesn't do much good to be in the back of the room without some substantial visual aids.

i agree the fellowship is the important thing for the banquet. there is an auction at the end of the banquet with some unbelievable pieces and prices.

the instant gallery for me is the best thing at the symposium. you will not be able to anticipate the # and quality of turnings at the national symposium instant gallery. i took a rotation of time to look and take pictures and then had to spend the free time between rotations to do more looking and picture takeing. it is very humbling and i enjoyed particapating even if i knew each defect in each of my turnings and had agonized over which to take.

a partiall list of demostraters with description will be in the next two magazines...American Woodturner
on the web site of aaw there will be a complete list of demostraters, times, and topics, this will be posted online, not sure just when, but for sure by late may
you can see a uncomplete list of demostraters now on aaw site, just take name and do search on yahoo to see what type of stuff they do
when you show up and get your resevation package it will have a booklet with all the demostrators, topics,etc with the time plan....do not lose that, well Richmond had one

there are screens for each rotation, you can see from anywhere in the room

i might add, untill recently i was not in a club, we have started one in town, it is just amazing to see all the turners that had been a solitary pursuit in the flesh, amazing

charlie knighton
01-16-2011, 9:03 PM
OK, Im fairly new in the woodturning world (relatively speaking) and since I have NEVER been to a woodturning show or symposium of any kind, I have a few questions for those who know.

1) Would it be worth a 10 hour drive and the expense of fuel, food and lodging to attend if I only did the public access things (i.e, free things)?

2) What exactly would the $250 for me and $150 for my wife allow me to do that the general public can't?

3) I understand the for the paid entry fee I "could" bring up to 3 items for the instant gallery. Is this just to show off your stuff or is it a judged competition. (+ I don't know if any of my stuff is "Symposium worthy".

4) Is there enough to do to validate more than a 1 whole day visit? For both paid and public admission?

5) Are there "rock star" type bargains to be had at the vendor show?

Sorry about all the questions but I am seriously thinking about going, but $400 just for the entry....well that seems like quite a bit and if the public access is really limited I am wondering if I would regret the long drive if I didn't cough up the dough....

I figure between entry fees, hotel, fuel and food I could easily drop $750 and that doesn't even count the goodies I might want to buy from vendors... Yikes!!

Scott,

1. yes, take a camera, you have to want to reach with your woodturning
2. attend the rotations, unless your wife woodturns, she would probably want to nonwoodturners craft room, or go on tours that are arranged
3. it is helpful to be stressed about your turnings, you can withdraw them sunday before critque, it is helpful to put your stuff next to these turners, remember these guys are good, there are judged areas for the best, but you will not believe the # of pieces,
4. Scott, you can not see all the rotations or see all the turnings, it is overwhelming, and we have not even talked about the vendor area,
5. the real bargins are stuff they do not want to take home, the lathe bargains usually are arranged before, call the aaw office or lathe manufacture office

Scott, i have only been to one national symposium (richmond)but have attended different states symposuims which all are a lillte different, all are good,
north carolina is most like a national symposium of the states i have attended
virginia is the most econmic but a lot of useful information, main lathe for rotation was a oneway lathe, i even had family to stay with
florida is good, they have baptist conferance hall and cafeteria out in country, really nice to get away from the beach side of florida
going to tennessee symposium in two weeks, i have high expectations

Scott Hackler
01-16-2011, 10:44 PM
All good information, thanks. I am seriously leaning towards a road trip in June! As far as paid or free entry.... well if I drive 10+ hours I think I would probably pay, enter my three things and attend some demos. Seems like a really long drive to just see the instant gallery and shop! I don't worry too much about getting judged. I know I am fairly new at this and know that I am not in the same skill level as the pros, but I do like to get other peoples opinions. Who knows, maybe I will put some outrageous price on the stuff and sell my first things for a bundle! :)

The LOML has already expressed an interest to go. Don't know how long see will hold out at the Symposium.... but we might just test out her will power. :)

Looks like the hotel reservation is the only thing that I might have to worry about anytime soon.

Richard Coers
01-16-2011, 10:58 PM
I went to Louisville, and it was a mess. I stood in line for what seemed like an hour to just get registered for the hotel. The lobby was jammed, and they started passing out water since we had been in line so long. All the restaurants were jammed and I found that ordering room service was the best way to get food. Not very friendly though. The demos were so crowded that if you didn't get in early, you could not see. The rooms were standing room only, and at least 6 deep in the doors. If you sat to see the end of a demo, then walked to the next demo, the room was already filled. I finally made a decision which room to go to for a half day at a time. I always had a seat, but missed some demos I really wanted to see. I wonder if the big anniversary crowd this year will look the same? The vendor area is by far the best. They have the rock stars in many booths, demoing product. You can get just a couple feet from them, watch their technique up close, and ask lots of questions. I spent some rotations, on day 1, just in the vendor area. Most everyone hits the rotations, and you can just spend time visiting. I still haven't decided if I am going this year or not.

Bill Blasic
01-17-2011, 7:47 AM
I'm looking forward to attending this years symposium as I feel the 25th will be special. I've paid the fee to participate but I will also be helping Doug Thompson in his booth. I'll make a demo or two but there is a lot to be said for working in the booth as I get to meet and talk to a lot of woodturners. Then there is the WOW Exchange which is always great fun. The Instant Gallery is always fantastic and I manage to take around 700 pictures. I do not usually go to the banquets as the food has not always been that great to me, last year being an exception. I had to go to the banquet last year as one of my clubs was being recognized as a Star Chapter and I was to pick up the award. The steak was very good as was everything else on the plate (I declined the Salmon, not a favorite). Louisville was an aberration as all I have attended since have run very well. I think everyone should attend an AAW Symposium at least once in their life. That said my favorite symposium of all is the one put on by the Ohio Valley Woodturning Guild in Cincinnati every other year, this year Turning 2011 will be Sept 30th through Oct 2nd. This was the very first symposium I attended and it is what I base all symposiums against. I have 4 symposiums scheduled this year and if you ever get a chance to attend one you should not be disappointed.
Bill

Jeff Nicol
01-17-2011, 8:02 AM
Scott, I have never been to a symposium anywhere and this will be my first since it is close enough for me to get to easily and I can stay at my daughters house which close by in Inver Grove Heights MN. One of the big reasons for me to go is to see some of the world reknown turners and and hopefully to meet you and many other members of SMC that are going to attend! I am not sure how this will be accomplished finding everyone who has expressed a desire to meet me in the flesh, I won't have a booth or anything so maybe a big ballon with "The WOODENNICOL" on it above my head would do the trick! I most likely will not go to the banquet as by then I should be completly worn out and need a heating pad for my back and good meds for my shoulders to recover from all the hand shaking!!

See you there,

Jeff