PDA

View Full Version : HF coupons at HD?

johnny means
01-15-2011, 9:41 PM
Could someone explain this to me? I hear a lot about these compound deals. This discount and this coupon, minus this percentage and someone walks out the door with a $3 table saw.

Matt Meiser
01-15-2011, 10:09 PM
I've used them 3 times successfully. Only on tools, which is what the would supposedly compete on. I just tell the cashier I have a competitor coupon. Once there was no question, they just did the adjustment. Twice I've had to wait for management to decide what to do.

That said, its not a universal thing and appears to be at the store management's discretion. Some take them, some don't. All you can do is try.

Lee Bidwell
01-15-2011, 10:52 PM
This varies completely by store and even by personnel. My local HD will take them pretty consistently. I take them to the lumber checkout, and the checkers will usually accept them on the spot. However, if a manager gets asked, they often will refuse them. My closest Lowe's absolutely will not take them, but I've gotten the next Lowe's 5 miles up the road to take them. Like Matt said, give it a shot.

Lee

Jonathan Spool
01-16-2011, 1:11 AM
Please tell me whether I am reading this correctly. I can take a Harbor Freight 20% coupon to a Home Depot, and they might honor it?

Kevin W Johnson
01-16-2011, 1:57 AM
Do you guys that have luck with HD taking the coupon actually have a HF close by? Closest HF for me is 100 miles. I cant get the HD's here to wheel and deal on clearance displays, i dont hold much hope for HF coupons.

Andrew Howe
01-16-2011, 8:58 AM
I used a 20% off coupon last month on their 15". Drill press and got it for $210 out the door

Joe Angrisani
01-16-2011, 9:15 AM
Jonathan.... Yes, Home Depot and Lowe's will take competitors' coupons. All my local Borgs do, anyway. Harbor Freight, Ace Hardware, Lowe's coupons at Home Depot, Home Depot coupons at Lowe's. I've never had a coupon refused (to date).

Tony Perrone
01-16-2011, 12:57 PM
I use to work for home depot and yes they will take a competitors coupon they somtimes have a manager ok it first, but the lowes 10% that you get at the post office every cashier will take. Just try and tell them the lowes down the street said they will take it.

Lee Bidwell
01-16-2011, 5:27 PM
Please tell me whether I am reading this correctly. I can take a Harbor Freight 20% coupon to a Home Depot, and they might honor it?

Correct. I've used HF coupons for the R4511 TS when it went on sale, the bandsaw when it went on clearance, a shop vac, and maybe some other smaller things.

Do you guys that have luck with HD taking the coupon actually have a HF close by? Closest HF for me is 100 miles. I cant get the HD's here to wheel and deal on clearance displays, i dont hold much hope for HF coupons.

I do have a HF in the area, about 20 miles away in another suburb.

anthony arguello
01-16-2011, 5:39 PM
I had never tried the HF coupon at HD until yesterday (I actually read about it here in the forum). I purchased BOTH Ridgid and PC routers. I asked the cashier if they honored competitor coupons, she asked a manager, the manager said 'yes' without hesitation. I got both routers for $199. I actually used the coupon out of their copy of "Wood" magazine I grabbed from rack.

Kevin W Johnson
01-16-2011, 11:26 PM
I had never tried the HF coupon at HD until yesterday (I actually read about it here in the forum). I purchased BOTH Ridgid and PC routers. I asked the cashier if they honored competitor coupons, she asked a manager, the manager said 'yes' without hesitation. I got both routers for $199. I actually used the coupon out of their copy of "Wood" magazine I grabbed from rack.

Do you have a HF close by?

Kevin W Johnson
01-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Anyone have any luck with HF coupons that DOESNT have a HF close by?

anthony arguello
01-17-2011, 1:41 AM
Do you have a HF close by?
Kevin, I do have HF about 30 minutes away.
The manager was not hesitant at all about accepting the coupon. She told her cashier to put it under "competitors adjustment" or something to that effect.

Matt Meiser
01-17-2011, 8:53 AM
Kevin, I'd say its not a matter of whether someone else has has luck but rather whether a store in your area will agree to take them. I know of one pair of Lowes and Home Depot that are both within about 2 miles of a HF that won't take them. And I've used one at a Lowes 30mi from the nearest HF.

Same as all the deals on clearance merchandise over the years. It basically seems to be at local management's discretion.

Marc Prudhomme
01-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Lets open this thread up again. Can you use the 20% coupon and the 10% they give you for opening up a credit card at the same time?

Joe Angrisani
01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Lets open this thread up again. Can you use the 20% coupon and the 10% they give you for opening up a credit card at the same time?

Technically, they say something to the effect of "One Coupon At A Time". That said, every store is different. I've used the 20% coupons on sale items and clearance items many times, and the coupon itself says it's not good on sale items.

Be advised there are now Harbor Freight 25% coupons out there. Mine have been in the weekly bundle of grocery fliers that come each Tuesday.

Dave Lehnert
01-26-2013, 2:45 PM
I think the best place to ask this question is at Home Depot.
I have used a 20% off coupon to buy a sliding miter saw. But a friend was unable to us one at the same store. Just depends on who the manager on duty is.

Dan Rude
01-26-2013, 4:31 PM
My Home Depo honors Menards right next door all the time. Even if I just tell them the price. I like Menards returns much better since you can look up any receipt for 3 yrs on a credit card. You just have to remember to keep any old ones from account number change to read those.
Home Depo also honors us Veterans with a 10% discount on almost everythng. Just have to show proof of service. Here is what they sent me in a email about it.
Mr. Rude,

Thank you for contacting The Home Depot Customer Care.

The Home Depot is dedicated to supporting and honoring our men and women
in uniform through our business practices, recruitment efforts and over
$30 million in corporate contributions. We are one of the largest
private employers of servicemen and servicewomen. This is why supporting
our troops is especially important to us! We have many of our own
associates who have served over the years and about 1,700 who are
currently serving on military leave of absence. We have a broad-based
commitment to our veterans. We are more than happy to offer a 10%
Military Discount to thank our nation?s heroes for their outstanding
service and to help make their homes more comfortable and safe!

The Military Discount Policy is as follows:

On Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and Veterans' Day; our 10%
Military Discount is honored for all military personnel and their
immediate family members (mother, father, brother, sister, child) at all
U.S. Home Depot stores, with a valid military ID. Please be sure to ask
for the discount at the time of purchase.

We offer a Year Round 10% Military Discount to military personnel and
their immediate family members (mother, father, brother, sister, child)
who present the following valid military ID?s:

US Uniformed Service Privilege and Identification Card ? Issued to
identify a person as a member of the Armed Forces or a member?s
dependent, such as a child or spouse

? Tan ? Dependent of active duty member, retiree, or disabled veteran
? Red/Pink ? Retired reservist and reservist dependent
? Blue ? Retiree or disabled veteran ? this can include civilians who
retired from working on a Military Base
?
Common Access Card (CAC) ? Issued as standard identification for
active-duty military personnel. Associates must validate the customer?s
branch of service as Military.

Veteran?s Identification Card (VIC) ? Issued to identify and check-in
for VA appointments. We use this card as and additional way to identify
disabled veterans eligible for the Everyday discount. The card will
state ?SERVICE CONNECTED? which means the veteran was disabled while
serving.

? VIC has Service Connected, POW and Purple Heart (PH) indicators on the
new card
? MUST have the words SERVICE CONNECTED under picture in order to get
the Everyday Discount
? The customer may also have a Veterans Universal Access Identification
which is the same as VIC.
? The Universal card is the newer version with the color photo on it
(older cards had a black and white photo).
? Veterans who have been awarded Service-Connected (SC) status after
their VIC has been issued or SC status is not properly documented on
their card, will need to present their letter showing their SC rating to
the eligibility clerk at the local VA Medical Center where they obtain
treatment. After verification, the eligibility clerk will submit a
request to National Card Management Directory (NCMD) System for a new
card to be issued to the veteran.
?
DD214 ? states the customer was honorably discharged from the Military.
? This is a valid form that can be used only during the 4 Holidays when
we honor the Military Discount to everyone.
? The store associate must verify the customer?s name against another
form of picture ID as the DD214 does not have a picture on it.
? The 2011 Florida Driver?s License now displays a ?V? to show the
person was honorably discharged. This DL can be used as a valid form of
ID during this time.
?
The Military Discount Policy Terms and Conditions:

? Everyday Discount is not advertised and is typically given when
customers specifically ask and provide a valid military ID
? Online purchases ? customers CANNOT apply the discount by making a
purchase online themselves; however, they may contact the Online
Customer Service team at 800-430-3376 for details on obtaining the
discount
? This discount cannot be applied with any other discount, promotion,
coupons, promotional pricing, price adjustments, or on any Cub Cadet
products.
? This discount is not available for Installation Services or for
deliveries from the store or the service provider.
? The discount is only available on the day of purchase and does not
apply to previous purchases.
? PRO customers can use this discount for their personal purchases but
cannot apply this discount to their business transactions or pay with
their business accounts.
? ONLY available for PRO customers to use for personal use ? they cannot
use it for business purposes ? If the customer gives the cashier a job
name or is using their business account to pay for the transaction, the
discount cannot be given.
? As of May 14th, there are certain skus ? Pro Packs of merchandise and
other products where the discount is not allowed. If the customer
states they were not able to receive the discount on certain items, it
is because those items are now restricted. Note: ?Pro Packs? are already
discounted as they are items sold in bulk
? There are many items which are not eligible for the discount. Please
refer the the ?Excluded SKU List? for a complete list. These items have
always been restricted from getting the discount as per the policy.
However, we have updated our registers to support that policy.

The Home Depot appreciates your business and would like you to continue
to rely on us for your home improvement needs. Please let us know if
you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank You,

The Home Depot-Customer Care
2455 Paces Ferry Rd.
Atlanta, GA. 30339
1-800-553-3199
thdCustomerCare@homedepot.com

Dan

Brian Elfert
01-26-2013, 5:21 PM
I've never had the nerve to try the Harbor Freight 20% coupon at Harbor Freight. I should have used one on the pressure washer I purchased as Harbor Freight sells those. This past year I used a number of the Lowe's 10% coupons at Home Depot. (I never shop at Lowe's because they are too far away.)

Lowe's quit including the physical coupons in USPS moving packets recently so they are hard to get now. You have to sign up on the web and then Lowe's sends you a printable coupon. Home Depot won't take printed coupons because how do they know you didn't print a bunch of copies? I suspect a big reason why Lowe's quit the physical coupons is so people can't use them at the competition.

Harry Hagan
01-26-2013, 6:28 PM
I usually check both HD and Lowe’s web sites for major purchases since both stores will match the competitor’s price minus 10%.

One time a competitor’s website had a water heater listed at an insanely low price and I was given 10% off of that price plus a $50 energy-saving rebate from the state. Just bring in your smart phone and show them the listing.

Wade Lippman
01-26-2013, 7:05 PM
My local HD refused to take back recalled MAPP cylinders they were legally obligated to take back. I don't think I would have much luck getting them to honor a HF coupon.

Andy Pratt
01-26-2013, 10:36 PM
I used the 20% off HF coupon at the nearest HD to get the $500 ridgid table saw for $400. There was some question if they would honor a HF coupon and eventually after the manager was called it was authorized, I was told at the time that it couldn't be used in conjunction with any other coupons, which seems standard for a heavy discount like that.

Jacob Reverb
01-27-2013, 8:25 AM
I tried to use a HFT 20% off coupon at HD in Dover, DE and was refused.

Alan Wright
01-29-2013, 11:26 PM
the local HF and Home Depot and lowes are all within 1/2 a mile of each other and I've never tried the HF 20% off coupon. Guess I've overpaid on a lot of tools:(

Joseph Tarantino
01-30-2013, 9:59 AM
I tried to use a HFT 20% off coupon at HD in Dover, DE and was refused.
when that's happened to me, i've called HD corporate CS (800-homedepot), explained my situation to the rep, who then calls the store and instructs the MOD to honor the coupon. and there are no HFs anywhere near me or the subject HD. i usually don't give up until i hear "no" at least three times.

Christopher Manns
01-30-2013, 4:12 PM
I think someone mentioned it before but I'll reiterate. Acceptance of competitors coupons by HD is at the discretion of the individual HD stores and managers. My experience has been that HD doesn't see HF as a competitor, HD classifies HF as a "wholesaler" and hence not a competitor. All that said, if you call ahead, are sugary sweet, get the right person on the phone and have some luck you can utilize HF coupons. After trying three different HD stores I did manage to buy a R4512 from HD with a 20% HF coupon, but it was simply luck. The woman helping me out actually told another customer service person to "butt out" when they suggested the coupon wasn't acceptable.
Good luck.

Joe Angrisani
01-30-2013, 5:39 PM
.....My experience has been that HD doesn't see HF as a competitor.....

And my experience has been the exact opposite. I can walk you through my shop and show you 20 things purchased with the Harbor Freight 20% coupon, from the Ridgid oscillating tabletop sander (bought on sale minus the 20%), to a DeWalt 1/2" drill, to a Porter Cable framing nailer, to a Freud 10" blade. I have made no major Home Depot tool purchase in the last two years without using a HF 20% coupon.

Same with Lowes. Where they do "new age math" when you give them the 20%er. I bought a two drill cordless Porter-Cable setup last year. Priced at $129.99. Out the door for $79 and change (including roughly 8% sales tax, so about $73.50 before tax). Please tell me how they calculated that one. :cool:

So I'll reiterate. Don't hesitate to use the coupons, and to make a little fuss if they first say no.

...Joe
A happy Home Depot customer and Home Depot shareholder.