PDA

View Full Version : New Cabinet Saw

Doug Colombo
01-15-2011, 9:19 PM
I am looking to purchase a cabinet saw - figure it is time to move from my 1954 Craftsman 8" saw. ;)
I have been looking at the new Delta Unisaw and the PM2000. Although both saws look great - I have been leaning towards the Delta. I have also looked at the specifications of the Grizzly G0691. It is half the price and looks like it may also be a good solid saw. At the price, I am now questioning which to buy and am interested in other woodworkers opinions of the Grizzly vrs Delta. I presently do not own any Grizzly equipment but do know people that do, just not anyone that has a table saw.

johnny means
01-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Personally, I cannot see the extra $1000 or so of value in the Delta or Powermatic. I have worked in many shops with Old Grizzly machines going strong year in and year out. One of my old jobs had a 1023 that literally ripped 4/4 maple for 8 hours a day every day. Come to think of it the feeder was also a Grizzly. I own a couple of their machines myself and think they're quality machines. Granted they aren't as pretty and can have some details that are speced on the low end, but they perform well and allowed me to invest in other things. If I had not opted for the Sawstop I would have bypassed the Delta and the Powermatic and went for the value of a Grizzly.

That's not to say that getting what you really want doesn't have a certain value in itself. The Delta ,performance wise, will not do any better than a Grizzly, but may (depending on the owner) be more of a joy to use.

Pete Janke
01-15-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm a very happy owner of a G0691 and other Grizzly tools (jointer and cyclone). Updated from a Craftsman 22124, which did everything I needed. As Johnny said above, you will have to decide what you will be happy with.

Jim O'Dell
01-15-2011, 10:47 PM
I also have the 691 and I truly love it. I can understand the difference to the Saw Stop, and it is a nice machine. But for me on a budget, the 691 was in a class of it's own. And it hasn't disappointed me one bit. Jim.

scott spencer
01-16-2011, 7:18 AM
Grizzly has a lot of well proven machines in use...the G0690/G0691 gets mainly positive comments. This particular saw comes from the same factory using the same key components as the Laguna Platinum saw. If you're willing to be your own middle-man, there are some nice savings with Griz.

ken carroll
01-16-2011, 10:45 AM
I have two PM-66s currently , and just sold my G1023. I would say that the Griz was the best built of the three saws - flattest table too.

mreza Salav
01-16-2011, 11:12 AM
If I was going to buy a new one I'd buy a PCS sawstop (I have a ISC sawstop which is bigger and more expensive).
If I was on a tighter budget and wanted to save some money I'd go with a grizzly saw.

Paul Ryan
01-16-2011, 11:38 AM
I am in the same camp. I am a Sawstop PCS owner. If I was buying again and the sawstop was out of my budget. It would be a grizzly, probably the 1023 R version due to better dust collection. I dont think there is enough added value in the PM or Delta saws to justify the added price. The only reason I would consider the Delta is because your supporting american jobs. All the others are built overseas where labor is cheap. The uni may soon be owned by an overseas company but it is still built and assembled on our soil with our labor.

Larry Edgerton
01-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Buy what you can best afford, and welcome to the world of tool addiction.

Hi, my name is Doug, and I have a tool addiction..........

Cary Falk
01-16-2011, 11:52 AM
I went from an older Unisaw to the New G1023RL and am extremely happy with it. If you are drawn to the Unisaw then buy it. If you don't every little thing will make you hate your current saw and you will wish you stayed the course.

Doug Colombo
01-16-2011, 9:06 PM
Thanks for all of the input / suggestions !!! This is the first time that I have posted and the information will help in my decision process !!!! One other question - what is the difference between the G06091 and G1023RL - specs look about the same. DOes the G1023RL has a US made motor like the G0691 ?

Doug Colombo
01-16-2011, 9:10 PM
Boy is that an accurate statement !!! I may need a 12 step tool addiction program if I keep going like this : )

Guy Belleman
01-16-2011, 9:55 PM
Due to moving I have had the Delta Unisaw, Grizzly G1023L and now the Grizzly G0690. All were good saws. All about the same. I love the G0690. It looks to me that the only real difference between the current 1023 and the 069X is that one is green and the other is white. Someone mentioned better dust collection on the 1023, not sure about that. I thought the sawdust collection bin inside the base were the same with just different locations for the collection port.
Good luck.

Jim O'Dell
01-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all of the input / suggestions !!! This is the first time that I have posted and the information will help in my decision process !!!! One other question - what is the difference between the G06091 and G1023RL - specs look about the same. DOes the G1023RL has a US made motor like the G0691 ?

Doug, actually neither has a US built motor. The 690/691 have a Leeson designed motor made in China. It has the Leeson name plate and appears to be more efficient than the Asian built motor on the 1023R series. I believe the motor in the 1023R series is the same motor the old 1023s had in them. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with them, but according to the specs listed on the Griz site, the Leeson is more effecient, and it is comparable in that respect to the rating my US built Leeson 5 hp motor has that is on my cyclone.

Guy, the difference in dust collection between the two models is that the 1023R series has a blade shroud that catches most of the dust right off the blade instead of that dust falling to the bottom of the saw to be sucked out. A hose connects directly to the shroud. Not sure if anything still collects what might miss the shroud and fall into the cabinet. Maybe an owner of one will let us know for sure. The advantage, at least that I see, of the shroud would be that a lot of the dust will be kept out of the tilt and height adjustment mechanisms, thus saving some time cleaning them to keep things moving smoothly. Jim.

Cary Falk
01-17-2011, 10:03 AM
A hose connects directly to the shroud. Not sure if anything still collects what might miss the shroud and fall into the cabinet. Maybe an owner of one will let us know for sure. .

The 1023RL has a 4" port out the back that is split between the hose going to the shroud and the base of the cabinet. This is very similar to the new Unisaw.

Doug Colombo
01-17-2011, 2:36 PM
Thanks - everyone has been a huge help !!!

Doug Colombo
01-21-2011, 8:21 PM
Well I bought a saw today - I came close to ordering the Grizzly last night, but decided to go out today to take yet one more look at the Delta, PM, SS Industrial, and to see if I could find a Shop Fox that I could look at (thought it might give me an idea of what the Grizzly is like). No luck finding a Shop Fox (although I did see a Jet cabinet saw that I looked at on the web). It was a tough decision, but I ended up going with the Delta Unisaw. I was able to negotiate a deal with a local power tool company and they are going to deliver it and place it in my shop on Monday. Can't wait to set it up and try it out. Thanks to everyone for the input and advise - it really did help !!!
This is Doug ... and I now have a tool addiction !!!!

Don Bullock
01-21-2011, 9:35 PM
Congratulations --- Remember to post pictures.

Cary Falk
01-21-2011, 9:35 PM
Congrats on your new saw. Post pictures and impressions when you can.

mreza Salav
01-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Congrats. The new unisaw I have seen is a nice saw.

glenn bradley
01-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Congrats. I am sure you will be happy with your new tool.

Kevin Womer
01-22-2011, 8:44 AM
Of all the American designed high end saws on the market, that's the one I like the best too. Congtratulations on your new saw, be sure to let us know how it is and post some pics for us.