PDA

View Full Version : Is the Ridgid jointer worth $288

Cyrus Brewster 7
01-15-2011, 9:09 PM
I have a question for anyone with experience with the Ridgid jointer - is it worth $288? My local HD has it and I am in desperate need for one but was waiting to save for an 8". It is either this or build a sled for the planer.

For the record I am a beginner but found a local supplier of rough cut lumber. This seems like it may be a good deal.

Thanks for any information.

Doug Colombo
01-15-2011, 9:23 PM
I have one for about a year (gift) and have had no issues with it at all. Seems to do the job for a low cost jointer.

Adam Cormier
01-15-2011, 9:30 PM
I have a question for anyone with experience with the Ridgid jointer - is it worth $288? My local HD has it and I am in desperate need for one but was waiting to save for an 8". It is either this or build a sled for the planer.

For the record I am a beginner but found a local supplier of rough cut lumber. This seems like it may be a good deal.

$288 is way under the suggested retail price. I have been looking all over for one but they are extremely hard to come by in Canada. The reviews (and I have looked at many) have been fantastic for a 6" jointer. It even won an award from a popular woodworking publication. If I could get my hands on it, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute.

I have heard that the resale for them is pretty good too, so once you finally have enough $$$$ and room in your shop (if that is even an issue) you should be able to make a fairly good dollar on it to assist with your upgrade to 8" (if you feel that you need to)

Go for it!

Andy Sowers
01-15-2011, 9:31 PM
I have one... I bought it long ago before HD started clearing them out last year. I paid a lot more than $288. For a 6" jointer, its a great buy. Only you can determine whether a 6" or 8" jointer is right for you.

--Andy

Bruce Wrenn
01-15-2011, 9:40 PM
Don't let the 6" width slow you down. You can joint boards up to 10" wide on a a 6" jointer. You will have to replace the original guard with a "Euro style" one. Using a thin piece of stock ( plywood, hardboard, MDF) on the in feed table, with the edge lined up with the rabbeting ledge on the out feed table. Joint your board as usual. This will leave and area that isn't jointed. At the planer, add a shim to the bottom of your stock ( in the area that is jointed) run your stock thru the planer till second face is parallel. Flip stop over, and remove shim and plane away area that wasn't jointed. FWW did and article last year on this technique. Currently on our local woodworking forum, there is a Ridgid 6", about 6 years old for $225.

Paul Symchych
01-15-2011, 10:01 PM
I've had one for 6, maybe 7 years. It was a sale item for under $300 as i recall that was one of those almost whimsical 'at that price why not?' purchases. It has been a great tool that has not given me a minute's trouble.
If you get one, heed the direction that says to get help lifting the table. I didn't. Its heavy. Hefting it by myself I threw my back out. Other than that a dead simple assembly. A great buy.

Cyrus Brewster 7
01-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Guys, thanks for the replies. I think I will go for it but of course, I will have to talk to my lovely wife. If I get it, I will let you know how it works out.

Terry Welty
01-15-2011, 10:11 PM
I upgraded from a tiny Delta jt160 benchtop that was practically the same price... the Ridgid is a great jointer, for my needs the 6" works just fine. I think if you check around for jointers in that price range, you'll find it to be a steal at that price!

Mark Ashmeade
01-15-2011, 11:41 PM
I've had success with mine. My only gripe is that I wish it was wider. I'm likely to sell it this year or next, and go for an 8" machine & a 15" planer. But then I am sure I will want a 12" jointer and a 20" planer the year after! I can't justify spending the money to go for the 12/20, and the 8/15 would be a stretch. However, I am saying that while sitting on a 6/13 pair, and that means I have straight lumber ALL the time. I can deal with narrower pieces much better than un-straight pieces, so my advice is to do it! I will confess I paid a lot less for mine but even at the full price of $429, it's a good buy. My only other advice would be to check out the Grizzly 6" jointers. Unless you're near one of their warehouses, you may find the shipping makes all the difference.

Kevin W Johnson
01-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Maybe something for the OP to look at.... has anyone had any experience with the 8" JET model that is a jointer and planer?

http://www.jetwilton.com/us/manufacturing/en/product.html?node=4531&product=274241

A hardware store near me sells this one for $319. It might be something to consider as well, unless it has problems i'm unaware of.

Brian Penning
01-16-2011, 5:41 AM
Had that jointer for a few years and no problems at all.

Rich Engelhardt
01-16-2011, 7:25 AM
Maybe something for the OP to look at.... has anyone had any experience with the 8" JET model that is a jointer and planer?

I jumped all over a Ridgid when my local Home Depot finally got around to dropping the $429.00 price to $299.00. I had to settle for the fairly beat up floor model - but _ i"m happy to have even that!

I looked at the Jet also and concluded by the reviews that it would simply be a waste of money. Even the people that are happy with the Jets (both 8" and 10") admit that they have some shortcomings.

Kevin W Johnson
01-16-2011, 1:41 PM
I jumped all over a Ridgid when my local Home Depot finally got around to dropping the $429.00 price to $299.00. I had to settle for the fairly beat up floor model - but _ i"m happy to have even that!

I looked at the Jet also and concluded by the reviews that it would simply be a waste of money. Even the people that are happy with the Jets (both 8" and 10") admit that they have some shortcomings.

The only real negatives I've read have to do with bad documentation, and when properly adjusted the machine works well. I guess it all depends on a persons abilities, and expectations. It would be nice for some people here that own one to chime in. I find random reviews to be less trustful, because its harder to get a feel for the person commenting......

Neil Brooks
01-16-2011, 1:54 PM
I own one:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/S5HiRcn9hBI/AAAAAAAAAuo/fsZ7dRu0rWg/shop_tour_030510%20006_w300_h225.jpg

I love it.

It is NOT an 8" jointer.

They call it 6-3/8". I think that's accurate.

It is NOT a helical head. Knives. Old school.

It does NOT offer perfect dust collection, but ... it's pretty darned good.

My tables were coplanar. I love the 45* and 90* stops that ... I didn't figure out were there, until I looked at the silly manual (which ... IMHO ... is perfectly adequate).

I've found absolutely nothing to complain about with my JP0610. It works well, gives great results, has been 100% reliable, and offers a great value for the buck.

Will I ever upgrade to something with more iron, and a helical head ? Maybe.

But that's only because of what the JP0610 ISN'T, and ... I knew what it was and wasn't when I bought it.

But I'd never replace it with something that compares in size, function, or quality. In THAT arena, I don't think it can be beaten.

UNLESS ... you keep your eye out for a used 8", and do a little refurb to bring it back to like-new.

Which isn't a bad option, either.

Lifetime Service Guarantee, incidentally, is a pretty nice feature of many Ridgid tools !

John Nesmith
01-16-2011, 2:04 PM
I have been using one for about 5 years. I also got it for a great price. Around $250. Yes, I wish it was 8", but other than that, I have no complaints. It's a very well-made machine.

John Shuk
01-16-2011, 5:46 PM
Yes it is. Mine performs perfectly. I paid about 3 or so for mine and I'd buy it again.

mark kosse
01-17-2011, 9:33 PM
Considering where you live have you looked for a used 8"? I paid less than the rigid for my PM60 with a 1.5, 1ph baldor motor, in nice shape. Check out some auctions, watch the list, get what you want...

Van Huskey
01-18-2011, 12:39 AM
I am in desperate need for one but was waiting to save for an 8".

The Rigid is a fine jointer for the money, but the last part of the quote is telling. I will bet you you will want an 8" jointer in no time and should factor that in to your choice. You may want to take a look at the wood you actual plan to buy and see how much of it is going to bewider then the capacity of the Rigid.

frank shic
01-18-2011, 12:51 AM
anyone figure out how to modify the blade guard so that stock <3/4" doesn't slide right under it? other than that i love it :)

Neil Brooks
01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Frank:

Once the push pads get there, the blade guard clears a path quite nicely ;)

I guess ... if you wanted to ... you could JB Weld a flange on the front that came within a few thou' of the knives, but ... because I'm always going to use my push pads ... it hasn't graduated from "minor annoyance" for me, yet :)

Prashun Patel
01-18-2011, 10:20 AM
I have one. It's durable and reliable. I highly recommend it at under $300.

There are tricks and handplanes for jointing wider stock.

I do think a wider jointer is nice-to-have. But truth be told, I've needed to face joint 9" and larger stock more times than stuff in between 6" and 8", so an 8" jointer for me offers only marginal improvement over what I have now.

Jason White
01-18-2011, 2:31 PM
I have one and paid much more than that. It's a terrific machine with great dust collection, too!

Joseph Tarantino
01-18-2011, 6:11 PM
i have a gray model that cost $150 5 years ago @ HD. sign stated "missing parts". it was only missing the yellow power switch insert. got 2 free from ridgid CS. @ $288, it's a great deal. buy new and it qualifies for registration in the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement program offerred by ridgid. this model was also rated as a top value when wood magazine tested 6 1/8" jointers in march, 09. the jet 6 1/8" jointer had several things going against it. and combo machines, IMHO, have a tendency to do 2 things half as well as they should. get the ridgid. you won't regret it.

Tim Brodeur
01-31-2011, 10:22 AM
288$ was a good deal, until I stumbled upon the HD's in my area offering them up at 94.03. This is in Northern New Jersey, the Clifton store had 2 after my visit, one of them has a a pretty big fork lift hole on the side of the box, so there really may only be one now...

BTW, the box can slide into a new Jetta trunk - sticking out the back - the box is heavy as can be, so bring a friend (and something bigger than a Jetta!).

Good luck out there,

-Tim

Cyrus Brewster 7
01-31-2011, 11:04 AM
I already bought it. Had I known this I would have taken the drive. Thanks.