PDA

View Full Version : almost saved it...

Russell Eaton
01-15-2011, 7:09 PM
This is the 4th try at a natural edge bowl. It took a couple of days to recover from the wound on my hand from #3, and the swelling to go down. Those "wings HURT! :cool:This is another Bradford pear, 8 3/4" by 4 1/4 ". I had a couple of problems. First, trying a different tool to hollow the inside I had a catch. It tore the tenon right off the bowl. I returned the tenon and proceeded to have a crack from bottom to the top of the bowl appear when I was making the bowl thinner. I glued it up and finished the bowl anyway because I really like the overall shape on this bowl. It is my favorite of the bradford pear bowls. I have enough to do 2 more than I am finished. I was able to get a Dogwood with similar color to the first natural edge I did, I will rough a few and let them dry in a bag for later post. Enjoy Russell

Lee Koepke
01-15-2011, 11:00 PM
I dont mind cracks on NE works. Its almost necessary.

My first NE's have only been small ... 4-5" diameter, I may crack open one of my cherry logs a little differently and see if I can get something bigger outta it. I do like the look of the Bradford pear though and the shape of this one.

Baxter Smith
01-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Way to hang in there! I have torn/broken off a few tenons!:) Just a thought. I think I tend to overtighten the chuck at times. Then when you do have a catch, somethings got to give. The crack may have already started if you bounced the bowl.;) Spraying the outside of your turning with water may help keep things from drying out if you are not too fast on hollowing it out. I keep mine handy and I am a whole lot faster than I was on my number 4 or 5.:)