PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to make a first acoustic guitar.

Matt Wolboldt
01-15-2011, 5:40 PM
Hey guys,

I've been contemplating building an acoustic guitar for a while now. I've made an electric one, but I now I want a different challenge. So should I go with a kit, or is it about as easy to build from scratch. Any tips or advice would be fantastic.

Bill Bukovec
01-15-2011, 6:53 PM
I would look for a kit that has the sides already bent to shape.

I made a mountain dulcimer last year and bending the sides (they were only 2 inches wide) was tough.
I didn't have a proper heat pipe and I didn't really know what I was doing.

A kit may also have the fret board slotted for you.
I milled my slots using a milling machine.

It all depends on how much time you want to put into it.

Bill

Matt Wolboldt
01-15-2011, 7:14 PM
Thanks Bill. When I did my fretboard on the electric I did the same thing you did. How did you bend the sides of your dulcimer? I was thinking of making a form to steam bend the sides.

clinton rich
01-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Depending on your woodworking skills. Can you take stock wood and produce a flat board to a specified dimension? Have you bent wood, such as for the sides? The kits serve those best that either doesn't have the space,skill or tools to be from scratch. An example would be to plane wood down, flat, to the correct thickness. Sides needs to be around .090" Clinton
Hey guys,

I've been contemplating building an acoustic guitar for a while now. I've made an electric one, but I now I want a different challenge. So should I go with a kit, or is it about as easy to build from scratch. Any tips or advice would be fantastic.

John Coloccia
01-16-2011, 1:11 PM
Thanks Bill. When I did my fretboard on the electric I did the same thing you did. How did you bend the sides of your dulcimer? I was thinking of making a form to steam bend the sides.

If you're going to go through the trouble of making a form (not a mold, but a form), forget the steam bending. Get a silicon heating blanket, some thin stainless steal slats and make a simple bending machine. Besides the form, it won't take but a day to make. I would at least give a hot pipe a try on some scrap, though. It can be nothing more complex than a pipe with a propane torch heating it. I don't generally bend on a pipe anymore because I use a bending machine and it's about 10 times faster. It's somewhat like welding, though, in that you're concentrating very hard and everything else just disappears. It can be very relaxing but it can also be frustrating, infuriating and a bit painful (when you burn yourself).

Chris Fournier
01-16-2011, 3:18 PM
Build from scratch, the joy of accomplishment and ownership makes it worth it. As John points out there are several ways to bend the sides. For your first guitar I'd go the hot pipe method, simple/quick/effective and cheap. If you pick side stock that has no runout or figure and practice on test stock I know that you'll succeed. Side bending is sort of the luthiers mole hill that we tend to make mountains out of. I would hate to have to tell everyone that asked that the guitar I made was from a kit - I'm vain I know it.

Cary Falk
01-17-2011, 5:54 AM
I say go for it from scratch. I debated the same thing a few years ago. I decided that if it was a success that I wanted to be able to say that it was all me. Buy a book with a full size plan and have fun. Here is my build for a few years ago. I'm no expert but if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?88598-Acoustic-guitar-build&highlight=
Cary

Mike OMelia
01-18-2011, 10:18 AM
I think this advice regarding scratch or seviced kit depends largely on your future ambitions. Do you only want to build one? Or many down the road? Even with a highly serviced kit (bent sides, sized finger board, etc) there are many many challenges to overcome. My first was a serviced kit from a well known vendor. I actually planned on making more than one (and have), but chose that path to get a better understanding of how they are put together (without the added cost of jig building). Guitar building is very dependent on jigs. Yes, you can do without jigs, but you then have to know exactly what your doing and why. Jigs and fixtures cost quite a bit of money (to build or buy).

My advice would be to buy a serviced kit (like a Martin kit). It comes with everything. And you can put them together with minimal tools. And you will find it very challenging.

Mike

John Coloccia
01-18-2011, 3:24 PM
If you look online, there's a gentleman that has done a pretty complete video documentation of a Martin kit. In fact, here he is...

http://www.youtube.com/user/bobloblaw1701#p/u

Yes, it's very true that the kits have quite a bit of work left to do. Not having to bend the sides is a big deal as side bending is something that definitely needs to be practiced AND is also about 10 times easier to learn with someone who's experienced guiding you. It's really not difficult, but it like sharpening or hand cut dovetails. It's one thing to know how, and it's another thing to work with someone looking over your shoulder who REALLY knows how :) Once you get it, you got it, because it's not that difficult.

edit: I was mistaken. I thought this was the Martin kit guy but it looks like he's building from scratch. Still, it's an excellent series regardless and gives a good idea of what's involved. If I find the kit one, I will post it

Matt Wolboldt
01-20-2011, 10:17 AM
So I've done some more reading and I've decided to try to do it from scratch. I'll post with the progress. Wish me luck.

Mike OMelia
01-20-2011, 10:48 AM
So I've done some more reading and I've decided to try to do it from scratch. I'll post with the progress. Wish me luck.

You are going to need it. ;) Make sure to ask a lot of questions. What will your wood selection be and how much will it cost?

(top, sides, and back)

Mike

Chris Fournier
01-20-2011, 12:58 PM
You'll do fine! Perhaps you could source the book: Guitarmaking Tradition and Technology by William Cumpiano and Jonathon Natelson. This book contains all the info you could ask for when it comes to building an acoustic. I'm not saying that you have to slavishly build exactly as they describe but it is a fantastic resource for a body in your position.

Matt Wolboldt
01-20-2011, 4:52 PM
So I think I'm going with a mahogany body and sides, sitka spruce top and a morado fretboard. The only thing I have to buy is the spruce top.

Chris Fournier
01-20-2011, 5:55 PM
I do find with the lighter coloured guitars like mahogany that the stark contrast of an ebony fingerboard is pretty elegant looking. What are your thoughts on the peghead and binding materials?

My personal preference regarding esthetics aside, mahogany is pretty tough to beat for a great sounding instrument.

Keep us posted.

Matt Wolboldt
01-20-2011, 8:01 PM
I hadn't given it much though yet I suppose. I'm thinking maybe a dyed walnut and white maple binding. If I can find some holly maybe holly instead. For the peg head I'm keeping my eyes peeled for something that strikes my fancy. Any esthetic advice is always welcome.

John Coloccia
01-20-2011, 8:26 PM
You'll do fine! Perhaps you could source the book: Guitarmaking Tradition and Technology by William Cumpiano and Jonathon Natelson.

I'll second this. I just picked up Bill's book and it's essential reading, IMHO. Not only is he a heck of a nice guy, but he's a very good teacher. His book is available right through his website.