PDA

View Full Version : Kreg ProPack and Sommerfeld Pocket-Pro

Phil Winn
01-10-2005, 9:30 PM
I was thinking about purchasing a Kreg system---and someone
suggested that the Sommerfeld Pocket-Pro was a better unit;
Did Marc Sommerfeld design both systems?
1. Pro and cons of both systems?
Thanks,
Phil

Dick Parr
01-10-2005, 9:43 PM
Can't tell ya anything about the Sommerfeld, but the Kreg Pro is one of the best tools I have ever bought. ;) It is great for face frames and just about anything you want to join together. Very nice set-up. :D

Joe Mioux
01-10-2005, 9:58 PM
Can't tell ya anything about the Sommerfeld, but the Kreg Pro is one of the best tools I have ever bought. ;) It is great for face frames and just about anything you want to join together. Very nice set-up. :D
What Dick said!, Kreg is great.

Mitchell Garnett
01-10-2005, 11:44 PM
I bought the Sommerfield - it may be just marketing hype but I bought into it after watching his cabineti making DVD. I haven't used the Kreg so I can't really compare.

Jim Fancher
01-10-2005, 11:48 PM
I researched both and ended up with the Kreg kit from Lowes because it was local. As soon as I got it home I grabbed two pieces of wood and whipped up a rock solid joint in no time. I love it.

Mathew Nedeljko
01-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Another vote for the Kreg, I absolutely love it and have used it extensively in all my cabinetry projects. Amazing how strong the pocket hole joints are, and I really like the self drilling aspect of the square drive screws.

I did compare both systems before purchasing and I think the biggest difference was that Sommerfeld pushes the fact that his can be mounted to a router table insert. That doesn't appeal to me since I dont use an insert in my router table, but hey, to each his own.:)

Greg Mann
01-11-2005, 1:10 AM
Phil,

This is a little like the F versus E debate. Both systems are basically jigs that do the same thing, a little different here, a little different there. I assume the Kreg is adjustable like Marc's is? If so, then I don't think it makes any difference.

Greg

Thomas Prondzinski
01-11-2005, 7:15 AM
Phil
I have the Sommerfeld jig, I like it very much. Have no experience with the Kreg so I can't comment. I like the adjustabilty of the sommerfeld,has a toothed design to raise and lower for different wood thicknesses. I have mine mounted to a three foot piece of plywood,I pocket screwed a bottom panel of a vanity the other day that was 55" long. Works great

Tom

Dave Moran
01-11-2005, 7:33 AM
Phil, I have the Kreg, and I really like it, the Pro pack has the 2 unmounted units as well and there are times where you need the small size. The Somerfield on the other hand does not need to be disassembled and reassembled for different thicknesses, and may be fine tuned for non standard thickness, so in my opinion the best combination would be the Somerfield for fixed setup and the Kreg for the portable applications. Additionally try the McFeely's screws I prefer them in most cases.

Matt Meiser
01-11-2005, 7:43 AM
I didn't even know Sommerfield made a jig, but I have a Kreg and love it. Realistically, it is a very simple, very effective tool and I don't see there being any dramatic difference between one and the other.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-11-2005, 8:53 AM
I didn't know Sommerfield made a jig either! A pocket hole jig is on my list so now I will have to look at the sommerfield as well!

Joe Scarfo
01-11-2005, 11:43 PM
I've seen them both at the Tampa Woodworking Show. Even considered buying the Sommerfield version to give it a run. If I liked it, sell the Kreg. The Sommerfield version looked a little more versatile.

Net net was the rep never came over to do a demo...

Got thing too, who needs duplicate tools hanging around, expecially when you're under employed.

Paul Franklin
01-13-2005, 1:01 AM
I use the Kreg Pro kit, it works great, I got mine from Lowes, someone marked the price wrong, and they honered it $19.99 what a deal!

LT Dever
01-13-2005, 5:03 AM
Kreg Rules.....................:D

Robert Mayer
01-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Question for a newbie. Do you not have to predrill the wood that your attaching into? Seems like it would split the wood when you drill the screw into it.

Scott Loven
01-13-2005, 1:15 PM
WOOD (http://www.kregtool.com/wood_magazine_pocket_hole_tool_review.asp) Magazine rated Kreg as the best pocket hole jig in every price category. The CMT Summerfield unit rated high in every category except clamping where it was rated as below average.

From the Kreg web site.
Do I need to drill a pilot hole into the second workpiece?

No. The self-tapping tip of the pocket hole screw accomplishes this task for you. Even in very hard woods like hickory and maple no pre-drilling is required which saves an immense amount of assembly time.

THe Kreg pocket hole jig was invented by Craig Sommerfeld brother to Mark Sommerfeld
Scott

Scott Coffelt
01-13-2005, 4:04 PM
Another user of the Kreg Pro Pack. I alsolooked seriously at the CMT version at last years show, I could not get the guy working the booth to come talk to me. Walked over to the Kreg booth and got immediate support, in the end I was happy with the purchse, they through in some bonus stuff and the services was great..... Service was the initial selling point.

Also, I had the Rocket before and felt in this case the performance was also a known commodity...not so on the CMT. Not bagging the quality cause I never got a chance to see it in action.

Justin Killebrew
01-13-2005, 4:31 PM
Marc Sommerfeld (Sommerfeld CMT) is the brother of Craig Sommerfeld (Kreg Tool Company). What that has to do with the performance of their respective tools, I don't know. I have used both and they both work well.

David Wilson
01-13-2005, 5:03 PM
Question for a newbie. Do you not have to predrill the wood that your attaching into? Seems like it would split the wood when you drill the screw into it.
Yes, the jigs come with a special bit that matches the profile of the screws

Paul Franklin
01-13-2005, 7:48 PM
I like CMT router bits, but I must admit that the Sommerfield service is very bad. I recently emailed them for a catalog, infact I emaled them 3 times over a period of two months. In the end I had to call and ask if they wanted to sell to me or not! Finally about two weeks later I got the catalog, but now not sure if I want to order from them, so I would go with the Kreg jig

Kent Cori
01-13-2005, 8:11 PM
Another enthusiastic vote for the Kreg. However, I have just the Pocket Rocket version and find that it has met all my needs. Generally, I prefer to take the jig to the work rather than the other way around.