PDA

View Full Version : First bowl worth signing?

Don Nurmela
01-15-2011, 3:38 PM
178186178183178184178185Well I have been lurking for awhile, just got my powermatic 3520B about a month ago. I scored a huge trailer load of Maple, most of it spalted:) I have been doing the DNA soak thing and have turned a few things to finish wet/frozen. I finished this one this morning. Each one is getting a little better, must be because I dream of curlies:o I actually signed the bottom.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Bill Wyko
01-15-2011, 3:46 PM
Don't forget the date too. That will allow you to date your progress. As far as the bowl goes, absolutely beautiful.

Doug W Swanson
01-15-2011, 3:46 PM
Pretty bowl. The spalting and the form are very nice!

I try and sign everything that I can (not because I am well-known or ever will be a household name:D) because it makes it more personal. I also include a card with the type of wood with each item.....

Roger Chandler
01-15-2011, 3:58 PM
Pretty wood! Nice form, especially for an early turning in your experience. Thanks for showing it!

John Keeton
01-15-2011, 4:26 PM
Don, looks like you are making some excellent progress! Some nice curves on this piece, and you did a great job of tool control on some maple that looks like it could be a little punky. Very nice character and color, however. By all means sign and date it! Your "early works" will be the most valuable when you become famous!!!!!;)

David E Keller
01-15-2011, 7:37 PM
Pretty wood and a nice finish! You're a lucky man if you've got a trailer full of stuff that looks like that!

Steve Schlumpf
01-15-2011, 7:50 PM
Don - congrats on all your spalted maple - sure can be some beautiful wood! Get in the habit of signing and dating all your work - at the very least you can check back at some time in the future and see how far you've grown! On the very positive side of things - once you become famous as a turner - all those early creations will be worth their weight in gold - or so I like to imagine!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

David DeCristoforo
01-15-2011, 7:52 PM
"...all those early creations will be worth their weight in gold..."

A good reason to not turn them too thin!

Thomas Canfield
01-15-2011, 9:23 PM
Don,

GREAT #1. Excellent wood to start, and then a lot of interesting work in the shape, and good finish. Not an easy piece at all. You did not give size but the proportions work for me.

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2011, 9:56 PM
That is a nice #1. Really beautiful wood. Interesting shape and nice finish.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Looking good :D and yes sign date and #

Baxter Smith
01-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Nice bowl. Hope the rest of that trailerload is as pretty! You will be busy roughing things out. It can go from beautiful to a little too far gone(or at least difficult to turn) once the weather warms up. Enjoy it!

Nate Davey
01-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Great job on that one. I just went back and looked at my first and was encouraged at my progress.

Bill Hensley
01-16-2011, 9:06 AM
Very nice. Never get tired of looking at spalted wood.

If it's worth turning, it's worth signing and dating.

Jeff Luedloff
01-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Great Job on your first bowl, and yes its worth, signing, dating, and what wood type on the bottom. very nice

Don Alexander
01-16-2011, 11:12 AM
your post caption makes me wonder how many there were that you deemed not worth even asking about and why you would feel that way?

anything you take the time and effort to make is "worth it" otherwise why do it at all?

absolutely its worth signing and dating and numbering and whatever else helps you to remember the details

a journey of 1000 miles ALWAYS begins with the first step and that step is worth remembering :)

Don Nurmela
01-16-2011, 4:15 PM
I have made probably 8-10 bowls so far, some went right into the fire pit. A few others I was OK with and some not so good. I know from previous woodworking experience that the 'mistakes' are what make experience vaulable. When I look at others work displayed here it inspires me to persevere. This is the first one I felt good about, but the others were worth it just not real pleased with them.