PDA

View Full Version : Tail Fins & Chrome

Jim Koepke
01-15-2011, 2:11 PM
Some of the classic cars of yesteryear in a private museum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbN_BAn55a4

jtk

Charlie Reals
01-15-2011, 3:32 PM
Thanks for that Jim. memories memories. Hours washing and polishing all that chrome for 50 cents.My fondest memory is the fact we could tell at a glance what make they were going or coming. The ride was like the living room couch. Oh waxing nostalgic is fun.
Charlie

Randy Moore
01-15-2011, 7:04 PM
I enjoyed walking to school and seeing the cars and pickups coming up the road and saying Chevy, Pontiac, Doge, Ford etc. I miss those days, not walking home from school but naming the cars and pickup trucks.

All the cars these days look alike, American nameplates or foreign. It's to bad that things have changed so much.

I saw a split window Vette:) going home one day after school. I probably stayed there looking at that BEAUTIFUL car for at least 30 minutes.

Jim Koepke
01-15-2011, 8:24 PM
Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
Just live today the best you can.

I like that, reminds me of something from Kung Fu Panda,

Yesterday is history
Tomorrow a mystery
Today is a gift
That is why it is called the present.

jtk

Bryan Morgan
01-16-2011, 12:34 AM
My Russian friend told me he hates the look of these old cars. I came close to punching him. :) There isn't a single car produced lately that comes close to the soul of classics.

Jim Koepke
01-16-2011, 1:53 AM
My mom had a 1936 or 1939 Packard. I have a couple of faded memories of riding in that car. I was about 7 when it rolled out of our lives for the last time.

jtk

Bill Cunningham
01-16-2011, 10:59 PM
I'd love to get back 'one' of my first cars.. A 1958 Buick Century.. Metallic Green and chrome.. LOTS of chrome.. It had a lot more chrome than the same year Oldsmobile, or any other car of that year.. That was back in the day when chrome did not rust like it does today! I don't even think they use chrome on cars anymore. If it's shiny like chrome, it's probably plastic.. Cars of the pre-60's, had a real car smell.. A wonderful mixture of metal, leather, fabric, wood, and just a hint of gasoline.. Cars of today, don't have a 'car' smell, they just have the odour of off-gassing of various plastics and synthetic materials that become poisonous when burning.

Bruce Page
01-17-2011, 12:14 AM
I love the classic cars of that era and wish I had my first car back – a jet black 1960 Thunderbird. It would be fun to drive in parades and the occasional Sunday drive, but there’s no way that I would give up my FX35 as my daily driver.