PDA

View Full Version : Veneer presses

Mike Barney Sr
01-15-2011, 2:10 PM
I have read a few posts about veneer press recommendations. Most like a vaccuum bag.
While most do not have access to resources that I do, I thought I would share what I have made.

178180 178181Left over from a project at a previous employer was a piece of 1/2" thick cold rolled steel 12" by 18-1/2". After being laid off from there and at my new place of employment I got some scrap 3" C-channel and 2" box beam and welded up a frame.

178182178179I bought some brass bushings and sprockets on ebay, brought them to work and made the mechanism to move the platen up and down, along with the floating blocks to attach the threaded rods. I made the bottom platen (not shown) of 2x4's glued on edge and planed smooth to 3-1/4" thick.

I made a hand crank which I have replaced with a cut off 1/2" drive socket so I can use my breaker bar to turn it. I have used this much for a number of projects. It was a lot cheaper for me than purchasing a vaccuum bag. The threaded rod, sprockets, chain, and bushings totaled lass than $100. The plate and materials were free and I was able to use the welders at work, with permission of course.

Chris Fournier
01-15-2011, 3:11 PM
Nice work! If everything is square I think that your press will serve you well. I would likely use some sort of "mat" to soak up any tolerances in your platen faces. I can't recall where I've seen this matt, film or membrane product before but I'm sure that a heavy felt would do. Mechanical presses can exert a lot of force, too much if you're not careful. Vacuum systems are nice because they disappear when you don't need them, the mechanical press is a pretty big and heavy lump to store. For the money that you spent I'd say that any inconveniences are outweighed by the cost benefits of and pride of ownership of your build!

Bill ThompsonNM
01-15-2011, 5:31 PM
Nice looking piece of equipment! Looks like pictures of an old european veneering shop. On top of working well, I bet it's a conversation piece for shop tours!

Mike Barney Sr
01-15-2011, 6:47 PM
Chris, the squareness is adjusted by lowering the platen to the bottom, removing the roller chain, tightening the threaded rods with the sprockets evenly, then reinstalling the roller chain. I use sheets of plain paper between the veneering(s) and the base and platen. I am trying to scrounge up a piece of gum rubber sheeting for between the platen and work - I may have to break down and buy some but I am having real good results without it. I have the press mounted on wheels and it rolls out of the way when not in use.
Bill, I patterned this after an old veneer press a old-timer woodworker had in his shop that was originally used in a school desk factory. It was 32 x 54 and all cast iron.

Thank you for your kind remarks.

Dave MacArthur
01-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Very cool! What a beast!

I'm always impressed when someone can weld up something square and flat without extensive grinding. I'm a total novice welder, having made a few hanging pot racks and pool fencing, but I know for sure I wouldn't end up with anything square enough to press veneer with! Nice work, and thanks for sharing.

Van Huskey
01-16-2011, 5:51 PM
That is a very neat press. For years I had a rather large book press that I used but that is way cooler!