PDA

View Full Version : This would be cool if...

Liesl Dexheimer
01-15-2011, 1:36 PM
I was watching Eat Pray Love the other night and came across an amazing piece of wooden wall art. I took a screencap for you guys to check out (although it's kind of hard to see all the detail). It would be really neat if I could find a vector of it. I don't know what to search for though. Hindu art?... I was looking through shutterstock but couldn't find anything. :(

Dee Gallo
01-15-2011, 2:14 PM
Looks to me like a temple screen, found in many Asian buildings. In the old days they did not have glass windows and left the "windows" just open holes. In the bad/cold weather they pasted up paper which was removed for light and circulation in the warmer months, sometimes just poking a hole in it here and there. In the fancier places they used carved screens like this one, some painted and some not. I've seen many like this at antique shows, they are VERY expensive. You would need a CNC to do the 3D and cutouts.

cheers, dee

Bruce Volden
01-15-2011, 2:15 PM
Liesl,

Looks like CNC work to me with all the varying depth et al. I believe Onur Cakir, a member here, could perhaps help point you in the right direction as far as the artwork is concerned. He has been mentioned on the Epilog site for laser work. On the CNC forums is a member named Khalid Khattak who does fantastic CNC work! Never hurts to inquire??

Bruce

Lee DeRaud
01-15-2011, 3:20 PM
I was contemplating something (vaguely) similar for the drawer fronts of my new TV stand, using 1/8" and 1/4" stock with various vector-cut geometric patterns, painted different colors and layered up.

3D ain't nothin' but a bunch of 2D's hanging out together...

Dan Hintz
01-15-2011, 4:35 PM
In the first pic, to the right of Julia's head, I see what looks like the snout and whiskers of a dragon head... plenty of similar designs available.

Liesl Dexheimer
01-15-2011, 4:40 PM
Thanks for the info Dee, I was trying to figure out if it was Asian. In the movie they talked about hinduism which was why I was trying to figure out exactly what it might be. I even went through some of my art history books with no success. I guess it would make sense to use a CNC router but it would be pretty neat to find a similar version not as complex and scale it down. Reminds me of the mayan calender that Epilog used in some of their samples.

Dee Gallo
01-15-2011, 6:22 PM
If you really want to do one of these, I think Lee's idea of layering would work well. It would just be a bit more work but the end result would be spectacular. In fact, if you used different colored woods you could really do a cool effect with layers and 3D on top.

:) dee

Robert Walters
01-15-2011, 6:31 PM
If you really want to do one of these, I think Lee's idea of layering would work well. It would just be a bit more work but the end result would be spectacular. In fact, if you used different colored woods you could really do a cool effect with layers and 3D on top.

:) dee

Kinda like a 3D Marquetry thing?

Lee DeRaud
01-15-2011, 8:00 PM
Kinda like a 3D Marquetry thing?If you mean like intarsia, not so much. I was thinking more of a laminate of multiple full-size pieces, where the lower layers are visible through openings in the upper layers. (Intarsia is more or less marquetry with different thicknesses for the various pieces.)

Of course both of those are probably completely different from what Dee has in mind...:eek::D

Dee Gallo
01-15-2011, 9:48 PM
Liesl,

Google "vintage chinese window screens" and you will come up with some designs you can use for inspiration. I plan to try doing some designs and putting my inspiration from Lee to work!

cheers, dee

Liesl Dexheimer
01-16-2011, 4:08 PM
Awesome idea, thanks again! :)

Tristan Ranatza
01-19-2011, 10:57 PM
I have experimented on doing relief work like that… I used bamboo flooring as my test material and for the test image I used the Aztec calendar (the old standby for both detail and detail holding capabilities). It came out ok I guess, I will try and get some pics of it up, I only did an 8” x 8” block (2 slats of flooring) and it came together well, even with the seam in the middle.

David Fairfield
01-20-2011, 8:46 AM
Looks Thai or Indonesian. You can probably buy something like this from an importer at a price that makes DIY not worthwhile.

Dave

Lee DeRaud
01-20-2011, 10:11 AM
You can probably buy something like this from an importer at a price that makes DIY not worthwhile.Seriously? That's like saying, "That new Ikea finally opened, so I'm giving all my woodworking tools to Goodwill." :p:eek:

David Fairfield
01-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Yes exactly. No point in trying to make copies of Ikea furniture.