PDA

View Full Version : AAW Symposium - limited lodging

John Keeton
01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
For those folks that may be considering attending the AAW Symposium in St. Paul, MN this June, there is limited lodging. I called this morning for reservations at the host hotel, but they have no more rooms available. I did secure a room at the alternate host hotel, and I understand there is a Holiday Inn about 1/2 mile away that has some rooms left.

So, if you have some thought of attending, it may be wise to at least book a room, even if you do not register for the symposium yet. The early registration discount doesn't expire until May 15.

charlie knighton
01-15-2011, 1:41 PM
next thing is non-stop airline tickets, you have to pay up front for those, where reservations you can cancel, good luck changing planes in chicago

John, keep checking back if you want host hotel, sometimes rooms become avaliable

Doug W Swanson
01-15-2011, 1:42 PM
I live about 6 miles from St Paul so maybe I'll rent out my house for the weekend!

John Keeton
01-15-2011, 1:43 PM
Good idea on checking back. We will be driving, I suppose - all 13 hours of it!

Scott Hackler
01-15-2011, 2:05 PM
Hmmm.. I just mapquested this and I am 10 hours away (driving). Maybe this is something to look into. I have never been to one of these or any woodturning show for that matter.

John, are you entering your work?

Jeff Fagen
01-15-2011, 2:13 PM
I'm only 1 1/2 hours away but it is too pricey to get in.I would like to go on a Sat.but not for 3 bills.Good luck guys,I'll read about it in the funny papers!

John Keeton
01-15-2011, 2:40 PM
Jeff, some of the areas are open to the public at various times - the Instant Gallery, Trade Show, all of the Special Exhibits, and the Educational Opportunity Grant (EOG) auction. So, it might be worth the trip for you anyway.

Scott, there has been a suggestion from a member of my turning club (AAW Chapter club) to submit one of my pieces to represent the club, but I think that should be left to the club. I do not plan to individually have anything there.

Greg Just
01-15-2011, 3:12 PM
If you are an AAW member the fee is about $250. I'm planning on going as St. Paul is only 30 minutes away, not far from Doug Swanson. Hopefully some of us Creekers will be able to get together. I'm looking forward to it.

Doug Thompson
01-15-2011, 4:03 PM
You can see the instant gallery and the vendors area for free, only the demos cost money. The vendors area has demos going most of the time... it's worth a look.

charlie knighton
01-15-2011, 4:39 PM
We will be driving, I suppose - all 13 hours of it!

John, you are closer than i am, 13 hours is a little bit more than trip to florida
instant gallery shows where you are, bring some pieces

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-15-2011, 4:57 PM
I tried the Host Hotel last week & was told it was sold out too. I just booked a room at a Best Western that they told me was about 9 blocks from the convention center.
Hope to meet some of you Creekers there too.

Curt Fuller
01-15-2011, 5:16 PM
I do not plan to individually have anything there.

I think you might want to reconsider that. There are a lot of people that would like to see your work up close and personal.

Alan Trout
01-15-2011, 5:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up John. I just booked a room at the Hilton Garden Inn. Except for me it is probably at least 30Hrs for a drive. cheaper to fly with the gas prices as they are. Hope to see everyone there.

Alan

John Beaver
01-15-2011, 5:45 PM
John,
I for one would love to see your work in the instant gallery.

Should we all plan a "creekers" mixer one night ?

Jeff Fagen
01-16-2011, 5:59 PM
Thanks guys,the AAW members at our local club told everyone that the only way to attend was to pay the full price.
Even when I went to the AAW web site I got the same idea.
I will plan on attending for a day and hope to meet some of you,maybe we can wear some thing to identify ourselves as Creekers.

John Keeton
01-16-2011, 6:32 PM
John, I think a creeker gathering is in the works!! Doug Swanson and Greg Just are going to help coordinate, and an informal list of creekers that may be attending can be kept. Hopefully, we will have a good showing!

Jeff, glad you are going to try to make it for a day. Should be lots to see on the "free" side, too!

Alan, the Hilton is where we are staying, too. It is only 2-3 blocks away.

Alan Trout
01-16-2011, 6:49 PM
John, That is good. I am going to try not to rent a car to keep cost down. I don't mind walking as long is it is not several miles away. I am going to fly in the Thursday before and then leave Monday after the symposium. Maybe we can all get together for libations to the turning gods and talk a bit of shop.

Alan