PDA

View Full Version : Grizzley 16" BS?

Greg Urwiller
01-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Going to go look at a Grizzley 16" BS in a little while. Guy had an ad this am in the newspaper, I called, he didn't know the model #. It's on rollers, has a fence, etc. Sounded like an older fella, said he didn't use it much so he decided to sell it. I'm not up on BS's so didn't know the right questions to ask. Looking on the net, I found a #1073, and a #1538. The 1073 sounds like a pretty good saw, the 1538, not so good. Are there any other models of a 16"? He wants $250 for it, figured I might as well look. I've got a Ridgid 14" right now, thought this might be a step up. Thanks. Greg

Matt Meiser
01-15-2011, 11:07 AM
If this is the one that looks like an up-sized 14" saw, there was recently a post here that parts were no longer available for it. You might check into that before buying.

Josh Rudolph
01-15-2011, 12:29 PM
I found a #1073, and a #1538. The 1073 sounds like a pretty good saw, the 1538, not so good. Are there any other models of a 16"? He wants $250 for it, figured I might as well look.

Greg,

We have a #1073 at work. They have been using it for many years (I would guess 15 or so years). I can guarantee nothing was done to the saw other than change the blade...and they didn't do that half the time. It is an ok saw, no way would I try resawing with it. I am going to be upgrading it as soon (likely a Grizzly 17") as I get some requested work done in the room it is going into.
I had the #1538 at home. I used it for about 5 years or so. It did everything I asked of it, I upgraded to a G0513X2. The drawbacks to the 1538 was the guides and it was a bit underpowered...at least for resawing. My primary use for a bandsaw bigger than a 14" is for resawing. I was debating between upgrading the guides to Carter guides, but then still would have the perceived motor downfall. So I sold it and upgraded the entire machine.
My father has the Rigid 14", it is a good saw. If you are like me and want a bigger saw for resawing, I would likely pass as I don't think you will get to what you are wanting. You'll still want a bigger saw. I know I did.

Greg Urwiller
01-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Well, I looked at it. It's a 1073, bought in 2000. Actually looks like it was just set up. Has rails/fence, roller guides, a 1/2" and a 3/4" blade. He bought it to cut some "bows" out for an old wooden wagon, but the rebuild fell through. Said he's probably only used it a dozen times since he bought it, and it looks like it. Greg