PDA

View Full Version : chuck jaw interchangeable info

Don Nurmela
01-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I know I saw somewhere on this forum information about interchangeability of chuck jaws. the vortex has me bad and I 'need' bigger jaws for my SN2 chuck. I want to get the #3 oneway, but need to verify it will fit. CSUSA has two #3 oneway jaws sets, a stronghold and a Oneway. Is there a chart somewhere that shows interchangeability?

allen thunem
01-15-2011, 11:17 AM
they wont interchange

allen thunem
01-15-2011, 11:19 AM
oneway has a chart you can reference
and if you to the csusa catalog the oneway chucks are color coded too

Alan Trout
01-15-2011, 11:22 AM
If you need a set of big jaws for you SN2 get a set of Nova Power Grip. They are very versatile and can hold almost anything up to 29" in diameter. No Oneway jaws are not intended to fit Nova chucks.

Good Luck

Alan

Michael Mills
01-15-2011, 1:38 PM
1+ to Alan's suggestion of the powergrips. I did check on ebay and someone is selling them for $45 (including shipping).
The listing does say Jet also but they are the same jaws. Teknatool (Nova) makes the jaws for Jet.

Roger Chandler
01-15-2011, 1:42 PM
+1 on the powergrip jaws............I have them and they will do the job! One way jaws do not fit Nova Chucks!

Jim Sebring
01-16-2011, 12:07 AM
The Power Grip jaws on ebay are from the WMH (Jet) service center in Auburn, WA. They have been selling off the Nova stuff for about a year now. I think they offered some of these items as promos about 4-5 years ago. I got a set of the full-size Cole jaws that were made in NZ several months ago for a very good price. Delivery is fast and pretty cheap.

Don McLeod
01-16-2011, 12:32 PM
I have four different chucks that I use , a oneway stronghold, a oneway (with tommy bars) a supernova 2 and Busy Bee B2618. Here is what I know works for me. I can't interchange the Oneway stronghold jaws with any of the other chucks. I have the oneway/talon jumbo jaws on the Busy Bee B2618 and they fit without any modification. The oneway pin jaws fit on the SuperNova 2 and the BB B2618. The BB B2618 jaws need to have the screw hole enlarged to accept the screw for the oneway and SuperNova 2 chuck. I have the Busy Bee B2619 pin jaws fitted on a SuperNova 2 chuck because they open farther than the SupeNova Pin Jaws. But to answer your question, will the Oneway/Talon #3 fit a SuperNova 2 chuck, I don't know, I don't have that Jaw set but I suspect they will.

All of that said, if I was going to purchase a specific size of jaw then I would go to the manufacturer of the chuck and see if they had what I needed.

Harry Robinette
01-16-2011, 9:19 PM
Don
I've got the 100 and 130 mm jaws for my SN and SN2 and they get big.
Harry

Clint Baxter
01-16-2011, 9:46 PM
I have put my Talon jays on my Nova G3 chuck. I haven't tried them on my new SN2, but if they work on the G3, they should also work for the SN2 as all the Nova jaws except the Titans are interchangeable. Just what's worked for me. Have to pull the pin from the Talon jaws before it will fit. I've also used my Talon mini jumbo jaws on the G3, but the G3 chuck key is too short to clear the jaws so you are only able to turn them just a little bit at a time. Kind of slow to open or close that way, but it holds fine once you get them tightened onto your workpiece.

Clint

Bob Hamilton
01-16-2011, 10:52 PM
The jaws for Oneway basic/Talon chucks will fit on the SN2 if the limiting pin is removed from the back of the one jaw. The screw hole spacing and screw thread size/pitch is the same on both, as is the location of the interlocking ridge that seats in the groove on the base jaw. The head on the Oneway screws is larger in diameter than the head on the Nova screws so Oneway screws won't seat flush in Nova jaws, so don't mix them up. :) I have found that the SN2 jaws that I have will NOT fit on my Oneway chucks because the locating ridge will not seat in the groove on the base jaws. I believe that the Oneway chucks use a ridge that has the sides tapered while the Nova chucks use a ridge with square sides. The tapered ridge fits into a square groove but a square ridge won't fit into a tapered groove.

Take care
Bob