PDA

View Full Version : Another ? for the vacuum chuckers w/ pics

Brad McCollum
01-10-2005, 8:51 PM
Well I got it all put together and tested over the weekend, seems to work great. I still have some little things to do yet, quick disconnects on the hoses, more venting in the cabinet and add some foam on the inside of the cabinet to quiet things down a bit. I have little experience with pumps like this and have a concern about the temperature of the exhaust side of the pump. After turning one small, 6" bowl the exhaust pipe was so hot I couldn't hold my hand on it for more than 2 or 3 seconds. The motor was not hot, just the exhaust outlet. I had the doors open on the cabinet the whole time I was turning and it still got hot. Is this normal? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Jim Dunn
01-10-2005, 9:15 PM
Use motors like that to bubble air into water (not my design, we just replace them). They don't seem to run excessively hot on the discharge side but we're pumping into
air out that side into water.

Maybe the length of time under vacume is the culprit. Too much vacume and no air flow? Would seem to me you need to move some air to keep every thing cool?

Just guessing as I don't vacume turn.

Jim

Richard Allen
01-10-2005, 9:49 PM
That is a very slick set-up you have there.

Rotary vane pumps take a little while to break in. Once the pump has a few hours on it the exhaust should be a bit cooler.

You should put a filter on the bleeder valve.

Jim Becker
01-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Brad, I have my pump in the cabinet I build within the framework of my Stubby's base and have found that I need more airflow to keep it running cooler than I expected, especially on long turning sessions that use vacuum.

Your setup looks great!! Nice job.

Fred LeBail
01-11-2005, 6:47 AM
Guys,
Where are you getting the Vacuum pumps and at what cost? Is there a supply of surplus equipment or you buying new?
Thanks Fred

Jim Dunn
01-11-2005, 8:16 AM
I'm getting mine from an electrical shop located in Eureka Mo. Have to check my cost but it's around $320.00. Their pretty heavy little dudes so not sure of cost shipping by UPS?

Jim Becker
01-11-2005, 8:33 AM
Where are you getting the Vacuum pumps and at what cost? Is there a supply of surplus equipment or you buying new?
My Gast pump was purchased from a surplus outfit called "Middle Earth" near Denver. $174. Brand new in the box. GE label...probably was slated for medical equipment, but never got used. It's the exact same model that OneWay, Craft Supplies and others sell for $400. Surplus or used is a great way to get a vacuum pump for vacuum chucking and/or veneer work for a reasonable investment.

While I could have put together the other components with a little shopping, I opted to get them through Johnny Tolly in TX. His contact information is in one of these threads as well as in the article on my site.

Steve Stube
01-18-2005, 6:16 AM
I like the setup but have two cautions; 1. a sintered bronze filter on the bleeder valve (already mentioned) and 2. Guard the VFD from all the dust and chips. A semi clear plastic bag with air purge is one way. You can still push the buttons and rotate the speed pot. I'm looking at that very issue now wondering how I will do it. Locating the drive remote and wiring a speed pot and on/off switch is another option I'm considering. Letting the chips and fine dust in the drive can not be good for it, do that is an atmosphere where there is moisture present is asking for trouble IMHO.

Brad McCollum
01-18-2005, 8:38 AM
Steve, you are right the location of the VFD is not very good. This unit has a cooling fan on it so I can't wrap it in plastic. The best I can do is put a screen around it to keep out the bigger stuff and blow it out often. Then sell enough turnings to buy a Stubby. :D

Steve Stube
01-18-2005, 9:22 AM
A Plexiglas partial shield would help some (top and lathe side) but if it has the outputs available like the 3 brands I use it is very easy to wire up a remote station at your lathe that is not bothered by the dust etc. and put the VFD unit at a convenient safe distance away from your turning operation. With purge air on the bag I think it will be inflated enough to work - I need to test this to be sure.

Marvin Ewing
01-18-2005, 9:12 PM
If you don't mind bidding on ebay, there are always 40 or 50 Gast vacuum pumps up for sale. Most sell between $40 and $200. You just need to know what you're bidding for. If you look up vacuum pumps, there will be a whole lot more of various brands.

Marvin

Brad McCollum
01-18-2005, 9:29 PM
Steve, I like the Plex idea and have access to plenty of it. I would realy like to wire in a remote on off switch and will be working on that as I get time.