PDA

View Full Version : Are gloves safe

Douglas Quetin
01-15-2011, 8:49 AM
Due to cold weather or finger cuts, I often would like to wear gloves while turning. I have heard from a few people that it can be a safety issue should a glove catch the chuck or the piece. I am curious what the views are here.

And I apologize if this has been covered earlier. I have been out of touch moving a couple of times and resetting the shop, etc.

Jerry Marcantel
01-15-2011, 8:59 AM
As long as I've been around, I've always heard that you NEVER WEAR GLOVES around any cutting machinery... What gets me is Rockler sells Kevelar gloves for wood workers. It's bullet proof, but when I worked in Aviation, we would cut Kevelar with a utility knife and sometimes scissors.... ... Jerry (in Tucson)

Greg Just
01-15-2011, 9:12 AM
Personally I would never wear gloves, but I do know that there are some on this forum that due use them when turning dry wood and the chips get hot. I would not run the risk as the potential injury is much too great. Just my opinion.

Lee Koepke
01-15-2011, 9:44 AM
so far ... the first roughing cuts on very dry wood are the only uncomfortable ones. I am generally not in a hurry, so if it becomes bothersome, I take a break for a bit.

I, personally, would not feel comfortable with gloves. I like the feel of the tool / wood so it would take something away from me.

Clint Baxter
01-15-2011, 9:47 AM
Gloves make things very dangerous when you're using them around power tools, especially the ones that spin and turn. If you get close enough to contact the rotating portion, you have the potential of it catching and drawing your glove and hand both into the tool. If your bare hand contacted the same item, odds are you might receive a scrape, cut, bruise or burn, but the likelihood of it grabbing you and trying to draw you in is much lower. I, myself have contacted the chuck a time or two and the fingernails have suffered, (trying to tear them loose), but the chuck didn't grab anything, which would have been downright ugly. I guess that I do use them outside with portable power tools but avoid them on the stationary types as much as possible.

Roger Chandler
01-15-2011, 9:54 AM
I would think that if, and I repeat "IF" one made sure he has enough wood to turn a longer tenon, and could keep his hands a safe distance away from the spinning chuck, that it could be done safely, but that is something that if one just got used to doing, then a lapse in proper preparation could easily be forgotten, and there you have the danger again.

We have a few guys in our local club that use a glove, but I do not recommend it! They may have developed some safe techniques to wear them, but I do not know what they are............seems "iffy' to me! Safety first always!

Jim Heikes
01-15-2011, 10:11 AM
I agree with everyone that gloves are a danger around a lathe. IF it is considered a necessity at least cut off all of the fingers. And I reemphasize ONLY IF IT IS DEEMED ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY

Michael Short
01-15-2011, 10:17 AM
I have seen some gloves that have the finger tips cut off and not sure if that is safe. I have always following the "No Gloves" rule when working with moving and cutting equipment. You might think about putting a small heater closer the lathe or above it to help out. A small heater might be cheaper than a doctor's bill or loss a finger. At the end of the day it comes down to a personal choice and your willingness for risk and consequence.

I got knocked on my "can" one time by a small piece flying out from the saw blade and believe me I have a much greater respect for where I stand and where the blade is and consider myself extremly lucky that it was not much work than that. After a personal experience I am with the others here on "Safety First"

Have a great day Doug.

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Contrary to the majority opinion here, I do occasionally use a glove on my left hand. I’m a segmenter and when rough turning a glue-up, my left hand is brutally attacked every second by hundreds of tiny very dry chips along with the associated shards of dry glue. I’m not a sissy, but that hurts. I am very careful to always keep that gloved hand behind my tool rest. For what it’s worth.

Cody Colston
01-15-2011, 10:38 AM
I have some fingerless pigskin gloves that I wear sometimes when turning. One's hands should never extend past the tool rest anyway, so I don't view them as a particular hazard.

Yes, they could catch on the turning or lathe but so can your clothing and all of the turners I know wear clothes while turning. ;)

Doug Thompson
01-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I wear gloves all the time... just keep your hands away from any moving objects. Woodturning is simple keep your hands behind the tool rest but if your the type to grab a spindle or can't keep your hands off the wood when it's spinning then don't wear them.

Ron Stadler
01-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I have to agree with malcolm, I also where a glove on left hand when roughing out bowls, but I do cut out the fingers and feel reasonably safe. It's really your call here, and sure if you got to close to your work with gloves on and it would grab the cloth of the glove anything could happen. But like Malcolm I prefer not having my hand nicked to pieces and just try to be really extra careful when doing this process.

Kent A Bathurst
01-15-2011, 11:01 AM
FWIW - I don't do turning in my shop, but spent many years in mfg operations involving wood [not furniture, but stuff for mfg housing, site-built housing, DIY, industrial uses, etc.] Literally thousands - in many dozens of locations - of ripsaw/resaw/molder/planer/trim saw/lathe/waste grinder/conveyor/etc. operations.

A few [of the many] fundamental safety rules for machine operators:
1] No gloves
2] No loose clothing
3] No jewlery [none of any kind - incl wedding rings]
4] long hair securely tied back

The slightest "hook" by turning blades, gears, conveyors, a piece of lumber moving to a saw - and you are gone with it. No way to stop. Unfortunately, one side assignment of mine was on-site investigation of "ugly" accidents - and there were [rarely, thank God] instances where the operator violated one of these - briefly, casually, where "nothing could possible go wrong" - with disastrous results. Made me want to cry. Never talked to these operators - they were all in the hospital when I arrived on-site.

David Warkentin
01-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Never when using bandsaw for sure. A friends dad just recently cut off both middle fingers when his glove got caught!

Curt Fuller
01-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I wear fingerless leather gloves almost all the time while turning, especially in the winter. I like the tight fitting soft leather deerskin type and I also use some leather golf gloves with the fingers cut out. But, I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it to anyone that feels uncomfortable wearing gloves around machinery. I know there are safety issues but without gloves I probably wouldn't even be able to turn.

allen thunem
01-15-2011, 11:16 AM
playing devils advocate here
you wont wear gloves but you will apply finishes with a loose rag or cloth on a spinning object hmmmmmm
also how much protection does one have with bare hands against the spinning jaws of a stronghold chuck
just my opinion
i have neer been accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer but i wear gloves when turning (but never with other machinery) and it has saved my hands from a lot of flying debris and spinning chuck jaws

Scott Lux
01-15-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm going to throw a middle ground in here. I use nitrile gloves when gluing, dying, and some turning.

They are much warmer than bare hands, and they offer protection from glue and dyes. I have had one catch on the chuck (how did that hand get past the toolrest? I told you not to do that) The glove tore away quickly and I got only a scrape, which I deserved for being careless.

Joe Pfeifer
01-15-2011, 11:27 AM
3] No jewlery [none of any kind - incl wedding rings]

Not to change the topic, but this is great advice. Wedding rings might not get caught in a turning chuck or on a piece of wood, but if the soft metal gets crushed by a bad catch or a flying piece of wood, how are going to get that ring off? Just saying...

Fred Perreault
01-15-2011, 11:31 AM
I agree with Allen... use no gloves, but have other loose, hand held objects held before a spinning object? I have worn gloves starting a few months after getting serious about turning , similar to the padded cycling gloves but with full fingers. When I did a lot of flat work, the tips of my fingers always got dry, cracked and very sore to have any feel with . And early in my turning career, chips and sandpaper imposed a beating on my hands and fingers. Now, with gloves I have many fewer cuts or nicks, retain feel, have had no drying or cracking of the skin, and have never felt in danger because of gloves. In fact, many times the gloves will make "close contact", which tells me that I just had a close call. I wear out a pair of these gloves every 5 months or so. If the gloves wear out like that, what do you suppose is happening to one's skin? But of course, it is personal comfort.
I don't use gloves on any of the saws, except my chainsaw..... :)

Tim Thiebaut
01-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Well might as well join in the conversation here, I always wear nitrile gloves while applying finish/sealer to the project. And as unpopular as this might be I also sometimes wear a glove while turning a very dry piece that is throwing hot wood at my hand. Now bear in mind I have a mini lathe here and I most likely wouldnt do this if I had a larger more powerful lathe, but for me I also sometimes wear a glove while sanding, as someone mentioned above, to me this is no different then holding a rag while applying finish to the piece. I have used power tools my entire life, in my 50's now, and wouldnt do this with any other piece of equipment, but I feel very comfortable wearing them while useing my mini lathe.

Roger Wilson
01-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Here are two ideas which address your issues, cold and cuts:

Have you thought of looking into a radiant heater, something you could position so that it heats your hands.

Additionally they sell Cavilon (just search Amazon) spray and wipes, a chemical which will seal your skin. It might effectively seal your cuts. Of course on the Cavilon I'd ask my doctor if there are any potential issues.

Josh Bowman
01-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I wear thin leather gloves. I get a size smaller and with leather it will form to my hands. They have been a real saver with sharp tools and hot shavings.

Wes Henson
01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I wear the tight fitting cloth gloves with the platic plams. The offer some protection, adon't have lose flaps like leather gloves
I'd liketo think if they did ge caught by the chuckthe coth wou tear, but I'm prbably fooling myself
In the end I don't grab anythng that's spining and apprecaite that they have a lot of "feel" and offer some proection from debris

Steve Schlumpf
01-15-2011, 1:23 PM
Douglas - I have worn a buckskin glove on my left hand ever since I've started turning. Protects my hand as well as keeps it warm. The buckskin gloves are fairly tight fitting so there is not a lot of material for the lathe to grab but I try and pay attention to where the wood/chuck is at all times. As already mentioned - always keep you hand on the operator's side of the tool rest and like anything else we talk about here - if it doesn't feel safe to you - DON'T DO IT!

Chris Colman
01-15-2011, 1:24 PM
I never have used gloves around power tools that turn the cutting edge, having seen what can happen to flesh and gloves in a fraction of a second if the glove (loose clothing, rings, etc.) gets grabbed by the cutter.

I do occasionally use thin jersey gloves on the lathe, usually kept behind the tool rest. During final sanding I do handle the spinning work (except spindles or natural edges). I am especially careful around the chuck and with spindles, not wanting to get "wrapped around the axle."

I would never wear leather gloves on the lathe. I use cotton jersey because if snagged by the work, it will rip or tear free faster than the leather would.

$.02

charlie knighton
01-15-2011, 1:35 PM
i wear leather gloves when roughing out, espically with bark involved

i wear nitrile gloves(blue gloves) when turning oak and black walnut, and appling finish

i might wear lampshade when turning catus

Jim Silva
01-15-2011, 2:43 PM
One more for the NO GLOVES camp here. I've seen it happen. I don't ever want to be the one it happens to.

For those who play devil's advocate and talk about using a rag to apply a finish, DON'T. Paper towels will do the same job and will tear unlike a rag which will wrap and regardless of what you're using, don't wrap it around your finger or hand under any circumstance. You can sand, polish and apply finish just fine without wrapping something around your fingers.

Regarding the chips hitting your hands. I have this issue daily and yup, you don't have to be a wimp to not want it to happen. I've found that a small piece of shirt-backing cardboard (think about 3" square-ish) with the gouge (or other tool) poked through it works just fine as a chip deflector. (I believe that easy rougher-thing even sells a plexiglass deal for this very purpose but I could mistaking it with some other like tool.)
By using this thin cardboard it keeps the chips from hitting my hands (no more burns) and if I ever did manage to do something stupid and get it caught on the spinning piece, it would just spin around the tool or tear off without incident. I don't use it all the time but there are certain times during the turning of some pieces that it makes things a great deal more comfortable.

Just my two cents

Jim

neil mackay
01-15-2011, 3:31 PM
I turn alot of australian hardwoods and if dry the steady stream of chips/dust etc coming off the tool will be hot, very hot in fact.
So I use a half finger glove on my left hand pretty much all the time.Although I do turn with both hands I am predominately right handed, so the glove stays on the left.

Jon Prouty
01-15-2011, 4:17 PM
I wear mechanic's glooves for comfort while turning dry wood and it improves my handeling of the tool.... they are tight and have been my preferance since my wrench turning days. safe??? probably not the safest but neither is turning. Some of the natural edge or "propeller" bowls look a lot more dangerous to me. It is a personal decision...

Jon

Rick Markham
01-15-2011, 4:28 PM
I have contemplated this question, a lot of the burls I deal with are very dry, and yes when roughing the chips can be very hot, and uncomfortable. I also worked in manufacturing (meat packing plant) with tons of dangerous equipment. Those rules that were given earlier are there for a reason, I don't wear gloves, the risk is too great for me. I was a chef for many years so maybe the hot chips are just bearable to my already beaten hands but... the idea of (in a brief lapse of judgement) a portion of the glove getting pinched between the workpiece, tool rest and in turn having your hand drawn between the two is an ugly, and realistic one, especially since I am not an "experienced turner".

Jewelry around machinery is ALWAYS a bad idea, having your wedding ring crushed around your finger is by far the least of your worries. Your finger WILL come off of your hand before that happens with rotating machinery. Being drawn into a machine or having an amputation by brute force has and does happen. I'd make sure if you wear gloves they are skin tight, to minimize the risk, I personally have decided it isn't for me.

Wrapping anything (loose rag or sandpaper) around a body part or the workpiece is a dangerous practice, and eventually it might bite you. When I apply a finish on the lathe, it is with a small rag (maybe 2" square) held only between two fingers, Using a large rag is asking for trouble definitely! Be careful Y'all, I don't want any creekers getting hurt, you all inspire me!

David Woodruff
01-15-2011, 5:13 PM
I do use tight fitting leather gloves when rough turning. The gouge I use is long enough that I am several inches from the work piece and I use my own designed, high profile, tool rest as a guard. My left hand rides rides the flange at the bottom and protected by the angled piece upon which the tool is supported when cutting. Use a long gouge with full round tang that is embedded 4" into the handle. Roughing gouges I use are 3/4" , 7/8" and 1". I have trashed several flat tang chisels, flat tangs just can not withstand the leveraged forces generated by aggressive roughing. Also I check new gouges for embedded handle depth and drill deeper if needed. My favorite gouges are the larger Glaser's and round tang Sorby;s. I have not worn any finger jewelry in 20 years: 24/7/365 (hours per day, days per week, days per year). Also have not had the Rolex on in 20 years, I would sell it but it was my Dad's from whom I learned at an early age the basic essentials of wood and metal working. It seems the experiences learned from an early age are well understood. Wish they had computers in 1940.

Scott Crumpton
01-15-2011, 6:07 PM
I'll use a nitrile glove on my left hand when working wet woods, particularly those that stain, and on my right for finishing operations. They tear so easily that I consider them safe.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this trick. Whenever I have issues with hot shavings or sharp chips I simply apply a short piece of duct tape (the cheep stuff, not gorilla tape) over the side of my hand and down over the little finger. Just enough to cover the area having the problem. I do not wrap it around the hand or finger, 1/3 of the circumference of the finger at most. The tape works quite well to deflect the chips and heat, and it will pull off almost as easily as a nitrile glove will rip.

Steve Kubien
01-15-2011, 6:16 PM
Are gloves safe? Is a lathe safe? I think it depends on how smart the user is, truly. Lyle Jamieson often has gloves (finger-less) on and he is one of the most careful folks I have ever seen use a gouge. I use finger-less anti-vibration gloves (due to carpal tunnel syndrome) and I have never had an issue. Having said all of that, if you are wearing them and have a moments distraction at the wrong moment, you are going to lose a hand or worse.

Also, I cannot for the life of me think why anyone would wear gloves while using a bandsaw or tablesaw. In my eyes, that is asking for trouble.

dirk martin
01-15-2011, 6:58 PM
I wear gloves all the time in my shop. Without gloves, I'd be getting constant splinters. Rough wood is notorious for giving splinters...especially Leopardwood. I can't imagine handling lumber without gloves. Now, sowmeone in this thread said they can't imagine wearing gloves while using a bandsaw....

I feed large bowl blanks into my bandsaw all the time. Often they are frozen yet, and have the bark on. It would be most uncomfortable doing this without gloves. Plus, when I am resawing wood, again, I am handling rough lumber, and I'd be full of splinters if I didn't wear gloves. Try resawing a couple hundred board feet of rough red oak, and Leopardwood, and tell me what shape your hands are in.

GLENN THOMAS
01-15-2011, 7:12 PM
Guess I'm gonna jump in also with another vote for NO gloves. As careful as I try to be I have had my moments of carelessness and lost a chunk of meat from my hand. If I had gloves on believe it would have been a lot worse. I dont even like to wear long sleeves.

Rob Mathis
01-15-2011, 8:06 PM
Mostly no to gloves in the shop.
Yes to nitrial gloves. I use them a lot. but not on the lathe. I have cut off the fingers on the cotton gloves with the black dots. I have used them only a few times on the lathe. Like anything woodworking it is best to keep your hands away from spinning machinery. Yes the chips get hot, I get it. I step back and let things cool off and shake off the chips then start again. I have worked around machinery most of my working life and you need to have respect for what your working with. And keep your head in the game at all times.

I have a nice heater I am able to position over my lathe and it has 2 compact florescent bulbs in it.

Here is the same light I have. http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Edge-L-185-Combination-Light/dp/B0041D7OWO/ref=sr_1_58?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1295139792&sr=1-58

Jon Lanier
01-15-2011, 9:27 PM
I concur. I wear them when it is cold. But I also wear one on the left hand with roughing from square. I'm a wimp and that hurts! If it is warm out I take it off once the piece gets round... just for 'feel' sake.

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2011, 9:50 PM
I wear padded weight lifting gloves while turning especially with bark or dry wood. Lyle Jamison said at one of demo's just don't put your hands on the other side of the tool rest. Have been wearing the left hand glove since.

allen thunem
01-15-2011, 10:28 PM
and there you have it
the prevailing wind seems to blowing towards no gloves
to each his own

Scott Hackler
01-15-2011, 10:52 PM
No gloves for me either. I am fortunate that I spent the time and money to insulate and heat my shop so I keep the thermostat at 55 until I go out there. Then I bump it to 65 and take off the jacket. The expense was worth every dollar. Having always been a hands on guy and having cut, scraped and smashed about every finger at one point....I still hate wearing gloves. I think its the loss of direct touch that bothers me. For hot chips... I just suck it up and take a little break to rest the hands.

Rick Boyett
01-16-2011, 12:17 AM
These are the gloves I wear.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5106800025_66f44175de.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rboyett/5106800025/)
DSC_0007 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rboyett/5106800025/) by rboyett2001 (http://www.flickr.com/people/rboyett/), on Flickr

However if my fingers are going to be close to the work piece (like sanding) or my Nova chuck, the gloves come off.

As for the tip on removing jewelry (especially rings) that is something I live by. I used to be a UH-1H Crewchief and I have seen the end result of what happens when a wedding band gets caught in machinery. So go for it if you like nothing more than a bare bone where your ring finger used to be.

Douglas Quetin
01-16-2011, 2:03 AM
Wow! A lot of strong feelings here. Like all of you, safety is my number one concern, too. I'm going with Michael and getting a heater. It was also a good idea to use duct tape to handle hot shavings. As to wedding bands...I'd rather wreck a finger than face the wife. She is a tough one about that ring.
Thank you again. Very helpful.

Kevin W Johnson
01-16-2011, 2:20 AM
Not to change the topic, but this is great advice. Wedding rings might not get caught in a turning chuck or on a piece of wood, but if the soft metal gets crushed by a bad catch or a flying piece of wood, how are going to get that ring off? Just saying...

If your wearing a tungsten carbide ring... its a different story as well.

Kevin W Johnson
01-16-2011, 2:25 AM
Wow! A lot of strong feelings here. Like all of you, safety is my number one concern, too. I'm going with Michael and getting a heater. It was also a good idea to use duct tape to handle hot shavings. As to wedding bands...I'd rather wreck a finger than face the wife. She is a tough one about that ring.
Thank you again. Very helpful.

My wife is ok as long as its a good reason. Like the time i managed to shoot a 2 1/2" finish nail 2" deep in my left hand. I wear a tungsten carbide ring, so off it came for a couple days till i was sure my hand wasnt going to swell any. If it does, theres no cutting these rings off from what i hear.

joel nucifore
01-16-2011, 6:28 AM
I going with gloves, I use carpenter gloves fingerless on thumb, pointer and middle. They are tight to your hand and work great.
I am in the construction bis. and use them all year..
ALSO let me through in a twist what about the SANDING GLOVE any one use it..

I think it is how safe you feel, and accidents do happen. been on ladders for 20 plus years and last year feel off 5 feet up and now have a new elbow S%$# happens when you least expect it..... BUT STILL WEAR GLOVES...

Don Alexander
01-16-2011, 10:31 AM
yawl are gonna do whatever it is you "feel" comfortable with , but it must be pointed out that "feel" as in "it feels safe enough" is a mighty poor justification for doing what there is overwhelming evidence to suggest that it just plain isn't safe

lets face it, just about everything in a shop is inherently dangerous and no matter how careful we are there is always that OOPS factor lurking soooooooooooo it seems to me that each person must (and in actuality does) decide what is an acceptable level of risk for themself , hopefully having thought it through in advance because sharp spinning things that are designed to cut wood and /or metal have no trouble at all going through body parts

as always the most important safety device is your brain and engaging it before entering the shop will help alot in preventing accidents

a little bit of dumb,blind luck is helpful too but please don't depend on that :)