PDA

View Full Version : Interesting

bob svoboda
01-14-2011, 3:38 PM
"In no case, however, should the tools be brought in contact with the body as the cutting operation from right to left should be accomplished by a movement of the arms alone and not the swaying of the body."
Excerpt from an online site regarding turning technique--thought it interesting since it is pretty much exactly opposite of what I have heard/read before.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-14-2011, 3:45 PM
same here! Max

Brian Libby
01-14-2011, 4:33 PM
That is one problem with the internet - there is a lot of mis-information out there!

Rick Prosser
01-14-2011, 4:35 PM
Maybe it was addressing a specific type of cut? I was also taught to hold the tool handle against the body for most cuts, but some cannot be accomplished easily that way (like a light shearing pull cut maybe).

Harry Robinette
01-14-2011, 5:07 PM
Hi All
I believe that was taken out of a book from I think late 1800's,Not from anything today.There was a thread here about a week ago about the book I do believe.
Harry

Art Kelly
01-15-2011, 11:01 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Internet_dog.jpg

bob svoboda
01-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Now that's funny, Art!:D
Rick: the article was actually referring to all cuts in general.

Curt Fuller
01-15-2011, 1:47 PM
"In no case, however, should the tools be brought in contact with the body as the cutting operation from right to left should be accomplished by a movement of the arms alone and not the swaying of the body."
Excerpt from an online site regarding turning technique--thought it interesting since it is pretty much exactly opposite of what I have heard/read before.

There are two words, or concepts in the case of this quotation, that I struggle with, not just in turning, but in all things in life. Never and Always. It seems like as I get older more and more things that I though could never be now are. And the things that I thought I could count on for always are now not.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-15-2011, 6:19 PM
Not always, but in Curt's case that white hair and beard truly a sign of wisdom. I would concur.:)
There are two words, or concepts in the case of this quotation, that I struggle with, not just in turning, but in all things in life. Never and Always. It seems like as I get older more and more things that I though could never be now are. And the things that I thought I could count on for always are now not.