PDA

View Full Version : Saw for Child

Andrew Pitonyak
01-14-2011, 1:29 PM
My 5 year old daughter needs to cut through some already scored soft lumber. She really likes my Lie Nielsen dovetail saw, but it is a panel larger than the saw. I can purchase a child's kit with a small panel saw, but, the only tool that she really needs is the saw. I assume that these kids saws are junk unless you know how to tune them up. Anyone used one?

A coping saw may work; even if it does not fit, I can use a jig saw to remove the part that is in the way.

I can purchase or build a handle to hold a hacksaw blade, but all my blades for this are pretty fine.

Jonathan McCullough
01-14-2011, 2:05 PM
I think Great Neck still makes saws right here in the USA. I saw a small one maybe 16 - 20 inches at a Big Lots store nearby, don't remember how much it cost. I think Jorgenson sells something under the "Pony" brand that's small. Wouldn't be as nice as something vintage, but heck, as long as she's having fun . . . .

David Weaver
01-14-2011, 2:15 PM
I would use some caution in buying any of the newer "fatmax" types of saws with japanese profile teeth, even though they may be small. The teeth on them are long and they are very sharp, and can cut teeth. i haven't cut myself wth one, but I did plant the crosscut teeth of a ryoba on the side of my thumb once when it got out of a kerf. It did a LOT of damage.

I would try to find any old junk saw around 16 or 18 inches, one with teeth as fine as possible and put a lot of set on them. A fine crosscut saw filed rip would probably be good, it would have enough rake to be easy to push either ripping or crosscutting (and it would be easy to file that way).

Mike Olson
01-14-2011, 2:16 PM
My 6 year old Son uses a Back saw that I picked up at an estate sale.

https://4457910271616893758-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/bigdaddyoprojects/diyprojects/neandertools/MooreSaw_Overview.JPG?attachauth=ANoY7cokRDb3EKSHT xfGoy-HRskVbT4fh2754cuAS0x3pKzPtrptGl-Tf5qEW4h9M2BPJwrkhUSLkhxh1fM7w_hALcwbpBJ8C9f5JH-W6jHyzCQFgcJ-4Ri5unWbPr-OAYjY-_Kb42bXNpu8UIrPtZ6Fm02OTVWzZ1J6NpGGaSr7uLKIy9CqrN1 5akTxAe0hTWl0gxDBesEOEd6xsHAjPFZ7R0BLZ5voZr5XQ7gTE sS1uWgnBCeeB0yyFWcGbQj0K0SWWtaeuR4V&attredirects=0

I tried him on a Coping saw first but he was horrible at staying on the line.
He likes to use the back saw, cuts a really straight line on his 2nd try and I don't need to worry about him kinking the plate. only issue is his first project he needed to tip the saw at a really steep angle to cut all the way through his boards so he was a little frustrated.

Brian Vaughn
01-14-2011, 3:27 PM
Would a standard miter saw work? Those can be had for quite cheap, are not as sharp as the japanese profiled teeth, and are typically small enough for a child to manage (That's what I started out on, many years ago)

Jim Koepke
01-14-2011, 3:48 PM
Pick up an old saw at a yard sale or junk store.

Maybe invest in a file and file the teeth with your daughter watching/helping. Then let her have at it.

She will not only learn to cut, she will learn that some old things shouldn't be thrown away.

Of course, if she is not interested in fixing the saw, don't force it on her. Fix it up when she isn't around and then let her go to town with it.

She just might get interested in the sharpening thing and then you might really have some help in the shop.

jtk

Andrew Pitonyak
01-14-2011, 5:49 PM
Would a standard miter saw work? Those can be had for quite cheap, are not as sharp as the japanese profiled teeth, and are typically small enough for a child to manage (That's what I started out on, many years ago)
My miter saw is a back saw, which does not have sufficient depth for the cut. A small panel saw would work perfectly.

Andrew Pitonyak
01-14-2011, 5:51 PM
Pick up an old saw at a yard sale or junk store.
I wonder if I can cut the one down that I purchased at a junk yard. The handle is a bit too large for her hand probably..... Hmmm, I should check. Not certain how to cut down a blade and then put teeth back onto it, but, I could make it shorter anyway.

Pam Niedermayer
01-14-2011, 5:53 PM
My mother's father did woodworking as a hobby in the days before conspicuous consumption, and he taught me to saw and hammer using his tools when I was very, very young, say 3 or 4. It turned out well.

Pam

Bill Houghton
01-14-2011, 6:55 PM
I wonder if I can cut the one down that I purchased at a junk yard. The handle is a bit too large for her hand probably..... Hmmm, I should check. Not certain how to cut down a blade and then put teeth back onto it, but, I could make it shorter anyway.

If you're feeling brave, approach it from the other end - measure out, say, 12" to 16" from the toe end, and see how it would work if it were that long. You'd have to make a handle - but, as you say, the existing handle's probably too big for her anyway. You can get lots of handle-making advice here (and it doesn't have to be all fancy, although of course that's nice; but I remember how busy I was when my kids were little).

george wilson
01-14-2011, 10:34 PM
You could get one of those lightweight German straight handle dovetail saws for her. I think Groz and Crown also carry them. Don't get her some toy that won't cut though. She'll give up if the tool won't work.

There is a good chance she could saw her finger or hand sooner or later,though. It won't be something terribly serious,though.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-15-2011, 12:10 AM
I'd just go to the big box store and get a miter box and saw. Give her some scraps to cut. The box will give her some chance to get a "good" cut. She sounds like my daughter. Always interested in what I'm doing. Unlike my 2 older sons, whom I WISH were the least bit interested in what I'm doing.:mad:
You're not letting her "help" with something you're actually going to use????? Oh, but then last time I let my daughter cut some wood I did use. Took 10 times longer than necessary, but she was thrilled. Of course, I watched her like a hawk.......

Wilbur Pan
01-15-2011, 8:08 AM
He's a little older than your daughter, but my 6 year old did really well with sawing using Japanese saws.

Mike Siemsen
01-15-2011, 8:16 PM
The local big box store sells an Irwin saw for around $20. They are 20 inches long and come in a couple of tooth configurations, the finer one should work well..
Mike

Jonathan Spool
01-16-2011, 1:46 AM
My first saw was given to me by my Dad. It was a quality saw that he clipped the end off of. Most important is that your daughter has a saw that cuts well so she doesn't get disuaded by an unsatisfactory experience. Many "youth" saws are poor.

john brenton
01-18-2011, 9:10 AM
Why don't you make her a bow saw just her size? I made one for my kids to hold a coping saw blade and they LOVE it. I didn't even bother putting handles on it, I just took two brass bolts and notched them to take the blade. It's lightweight, and it's just like the one "dad" (ie. me) uses. Now I can't get them out of the garage.

Andrew Pitonyak
01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Why don't you make her a bow saw just her size? I made one for my kids to hold a coping saw blade and they LOVE it. I didn't even bother putting handles on it, I just took two brass bolts and notched them to take the blade. It's lightweight, and it's just like the one "dad" (ie. me) uses. Now I can't get them out of the garage.
Would love to see a picture....

john brenton
01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
My wife's out of the country and has BOTH cameras, but I'll see about taking a pic of all my kids tool toys one day. I'll be making a little workbench for my son soon...which is really a self serving endeavor: I want to make my own bench with a shoulder vise but practice on a smaller and inexpensive scale!

The saw is really nothing to look at and didn't take but a half hour or so....remember that was without handles. With handles it would have taken a bit longer. It's just two arms of maple that I had lying around shaped in the traditional way, a cross bar of sapele with tenons, strung with jute. The arms are probably about 5/8" in thickness, and maybe 1 1/4" at their widest (the middle where the bar enters and the bottom) I didn't have to cut or plane the toggle as I was left with a perfect fit and wedge shape from one of the cuts I made on the arms to form the taper going up. I didn't plan it that way but was a pleasant surprise.

Make sure to use the higher tpi saw blades though...it's too hard for the kid to push the lower tpi blades, and as a father it's a nail biting experience to see them saw with those bigger teeth. I cut the hell out of my hand with a coping saw once...those suckers are sharp. I also would use steel instead of brass if I were to do it again...which I might.

Rob Lee
01-19-2011, 9:04 AM
Andrew -

A few comments on saws for kids...it's almost counter-intuitive to what you'd looke for personally...

1) Kids have difficulty applying force in a co-ordinated way. More teeth are better, as the cut will seem smoother, and less grabby.
2) Kids can be tough on tools (lack of co-ordination/muscle memory). Thicker bladed saws may be better, particularly if they cut on the push stroke...
3) Impulse hardened teeth may be more appropriate - they're tougher, and kids don't always cut wood... :)
4) Kids don't have preferences or biases - other than they want to use what you use. So - make sure you also use what you want them to use.
5) Pulll saws and kids get along quite well....

Take a look at saws like this ( http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=41761&cat=1,42884,42924&ap=1 ) - I know they work well for kids, and similar saws can be found just about anywhere. As long as it cuts well - kids are happy.....

Cheers -

Rob

(who spent a few hours observing grade seven woodworking classes recently....)

Charles McKinley
01-24-2011, 3:16 AM
Why not make a smal frame saw like this one Bob Smalser showes here?

www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?12368-A-Better...Saw