PDA

View Full Version : Hollow` forms turners that use the laser:

Harvey M. Taylor
01-14-2011, 11:34 AM
If you use the laser with a steadyrest, I respectfully submit that the top wheel be placed at the 2 to 2:30 position. You still have a"closed" grip on the turning and the laser has a clear path to tell you where the cutter is located at all times. No need to move it out of the way.If you use the 4 wheel arrangement and move the 10 o"clock wheel out of the way and apply too much pressure, the workpiece will get in your face, undesirable, at the least.Max.

George Guadiane
01-14-2011, 12:54 PM
I just got my Nicol's Steady rest, and have not yet had a chance to use it.
Are you saying that you use a similar setup and have had the issue you describe?
As I see it, there is probably a safe and effective work around.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-14-2011, 1:04 PM
George, I have Jeff's steady rest. I ordered an extra holder for the wheel. After placing it at the 2'oclock position with the other 2 untouched. I could pass my laser all the way down the form with no interference.A much better arrangement than at 12 "oclock. If you decide to do it that way, try to talk Jeff into sending you an extra holder. I plan to weld mine after I am positive thart is what I want.Hope this helps, Maxq

David DeCristoforo
01-14-2011, 1:05 PM
The "top front" wheel of the Nicol steady absolutely interferes with the laser! Sorry to have to say it because it's a great steady and Jeff does a fantastic job of making them. But it would be nice to be able move that one wheel to a different position at times.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-14-2011, 2:23 PM
David, why not talk to Jeff and see if you can buy another bracket and place it at the 2 o'clock position. If you dont do welding, maybe a local one will do it for you. However, my extra holder came with provision for bolting it on. Max.

George Guadiane
01-14-2011, 3:56 PM
This is the link to my thread about the one that Jeff just sent me:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?155972-Christmas-Came-Late-%28but-it-came%29
It LOOKS like he already resolved that issue on this one.

Cathy Schaewe
01-14-2011, 6:03 PM
This is the link to my thread about the one that Jeff just sent me:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?155972-Christmas-Came-Late-%28but-it-came%29
It LOOKS like he already resolved that issue on this one.

I was wondering what I was missing. My Nicol steady rest has four arms, located at the 2, 4, 8 and 10 positions. Is that not the case on others?

David DeCristoforo
01-14-2011, 6:04 PM
Mine has brackets at (approx) "10,2,4 and 8 o'clock". The one at "2 o'clock" interferes with the laser since the wheel is right where you would want the laser to be measuring the wall thickness. It is only in the way for a short distance but you have to either move the steady (not always possible) or come up with some other way to measure the wall at the point where the steady is located. Since the brackets are welded to the frame, there is no way to move them. It's not a major issue but is is something you have to work around.

Alan Trout
01-14-2011, 6:09 PM
I had Jeff Nicol make my steady where all the wheels were movable. I can always have my wheels so they will not interfere with the laser.

Alan

Harvey M. Taylor
01-14-2011, 7:00 PM
David, as I said before, maybe you could purchase a bracket from Jeff and bolt it at the 2 oclock position and remove the wheel at the 10 oclock and put it in the 2 oclock position, making it possible for the laser to be clear all the way along the forms profile. The reason for that is so you still have a 'closed' grip.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-14-2011, 7:10 PM
I am sorry for misleading everyone on this thread. I meant place a movable bracket at the ONE or ONE-THIRTY location on the circular angle-iron steadyrest.Then remove the 10 oclock wheel and use it in the new position.Please accept my abject apology for this error.Max.

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2011, 9:14 PM
I have the moveable wheels on the top that Jeff made for me. No interference at all with the laser.