PDA

View Full Version : When trees were huge

Craig D Peltier
01-14-2011, 10:07 AM
My dad sent me this link to some very old pics of some very big trees.
Amazing, theres one with a guy on a ladder with two people standing below him on a tree cut on its side. Thats a big tree!
http://izismile.com/2010/12/23/when_trees_were_huge_39_pics.html#pic37

FYI The train pic, thats my lumber being delivered!

Ed Hazel
01-14-2011, 2:26 PM
It does not seem possible that some of those 8 to 10 foot diameter trees can be supported by double axle trailer.

george wilson
01-14-2011, 2:46 PM
We cut down many cedar trees over 10' in diameter clearing our land when I was a teenager in Alaska. Then,we'd spend all day drilling down into the stumps with hand augers. Finally,we'd lower dynamite into the holes,and blow the stumps into 3 or 4 chunks. Next,we'd spend days digging into the permafrost and sawing the 3' diameter roots enough that we could finally pull the chunks out with a stump puller we made. It had an old flat head 4 cylinder engine out of a Willys car(what an ugly,depressing little car. Had a piece of white pine shelving wrapped with red plastic for a rear seat). NO padding at all!

Alternate plan was to set the stumps on fire and let them burn 24-7 All Summer. Amazing how far into the ground those very hot fires would follow the green roots.

Josiah Bartlett
01-14-2011, 5:23 PM
It does not seem possible that some of those 8 to 10 foot diameter trees can be supported by double axle trailer.

Hence the flat tire in #18, I guess.

In those days most roads were gravel so they probably didn't worry too much about axle weight tearing up the pavement.

Steve H Graham
01-14-2011, 5:43 PM
Wow, those guys are really short!

Matt Day
01-14-2011, 5:44 PM
It's hard to image the forests filled with enormous trees like nature intended, and the plains covered in forest.

Those pictures look like truck commercials - try that with your F150! Heck, try pulling that stack of logs the horses are pulling with your F150!

Thanks fort he pics Craig - those are very cool.

Jon Grider
01-14-2011, 7:28 PM
Makes me shudder just to look at those guys perched 20 feet high on those pyramids of logs held by a couple of chains.

Josiah Bartlett
01-14-2011, 11:30 PM
I doubt any of those trucks made more than 100 hp.

Justin Jones RDH
01-15-2011, 5:35 PM
I have mixed feelings about these pictures. While I enjoy woodworking, cutting down such massive old trees leaves me feeling a bit empty and hypocritical inside.