PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Smell From a New Jointer/Planer JJP-12

Kent Chasson
01-13-2011, 10:48 PM
After getting my new JJP-12 into the shop and cleaning up as much of the grease as I could get to, I checked the set-up, turned it on, and made some test cuts. Runs fine, cuts fine. I turned it off and took off my respirator and was treated to a very noxious smell. First guess is burning oil but it could be electrical. Doesn't smell like belt rubber to me but I'm not ruling it out.

I took off the side panel and looked for problems and found no smoke, no rubbing, nothing to explain it. Power supply is fine and works for my old 3 hp, 15" planer.

Any guesses? I called the store I bought it from and they have yet to get back to me so I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. The only thing that I thought was odd was that the pulley on the motor shaft was pretty hot after only a few minutes of running. Belt tension seems fine though.

The smell was bad enough that the shop still smelled a bit this morning after leaving an exhaust fan on all night.

Ray Newman
01-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Check that motor and cutter head pulleys co-planar.

Check that the pulleys are tight on the motor and cutter head shaft.

Check the cutter head bearings.

Re-check belt tension.

Bas Pluim
01-13-2011, 11:30 PM
I did not have a smell with my machine, so there's probably something going on. Any chance there was some cosmoline on the motor somewhere? When the motor gets hot, that would give off a stink, like burning rubber or a burning clutch.

Jason Coen
01-13-2011, 11:52 PM
No smell with mine, either, and mine gets hot enough to trip the thermal overload. Great fun. Still waiting on a replacement motor from WM.

Kent Chasson
01-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Check that motor and cutter head pulleys co-planar.

That's a good idea and would explain the hot pulley too. Thanks.

Check that the pulleys are tight on the motor and cutter head shaft.

Check the cutter head bearings.

Re-check belt tension.

Checked all that and it's OK.

I did not have a smell with my machine, so there's probably something going on. Any chance there was some cosmoline on the motor somewhere? When the motor gets hot, that would give off a stink, like burning rubber or a burning clutch.

That was my first thought given how it was everywhere. I don't see any on the motor and no smoking but it's certainly a possibility.

Not a good day at the shop. The motor in my brand new Clearvue is bad too. Is there an emoticon for pulling your hair out and beating your head against the wall?

John Coloccia
01-14-2011, 2:36 AM
Not a good day at the shop. The motor in my brand new Clearvue is bad too. Is there an emoticon for pulling your hair out and beating your head against the wall?

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-mad-smileys-264.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html)

John Coloccia
01-14-2011, 2:38 AM
What type of wood were you cutting, by the way? Some wood can really stink up the place. Zebrawood comes to mind right off the top of my head.

Michael Titus
03-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Strong odor with mine as well. I expect (hope) that it will fade away as time goes by. Probably just cosmoline or oil on the motor case, which gets pretty hot after awhile.

Kent, are you still getting an odor from yours?