PDA

View Full Version : The bolts that attach commode tanks - what tool to use?

Stephen Tashiro
01-13-2011, 10:46 PM
The bolts that attach commode tanks typically have a wide, shallow slot in their heads. What tool do plumbers use on these bolt heads? - a thick, wide screwdriver? I don't think I've ever seen a screwdriver that size for sale in a hardware store.

Chris Rosenberger
01-13-2011, 11:05 PM
The screw driver does not have to be as wide as the blot head.
Any straight screwdriver will work.

Stephen Tashiro
01-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Any straight screwdriver will work.

I find that no straight screwdriver that I own will work. I'm going to have to exert considerable force. That's no problem on the nut, but the typical screwdriver isn't thick enough to fit tightly in the groove on the bolt head. It just slips out.

Edit: Tonight's solution, working alone: Prop up a socket wrench so it holds a socket on the nut to keep the bolt from turning. Use a drill with a bit about the the diameter of the bolt to drill down through the head of the bolt. Then use a drill bit with a larger diameter than the bolt to enlarge the hole till the head of the bolt comes off.

Other possibilities: There is a space between the tank and the lower part of the commode where you can see the shaft of the bolt. I tried reaching into that space with thin vise grips, and grabbing the shaft, but this would not hold the bolt still while I turned the nut. (It did wear the threads off bolt in that place.) I think a person could reach into that space with a hacksaw blade and cut the bolt.

Peter Stahl
01-14-2011, 6:02 AM
I would just cut them off and buy new bolts. After they've been in there a while they are very difficult to get loose. They usually come in a package with the rubber washers too. Good luck!

Ron Natalie
01-14-2011, 9:05 AM
Ahh...plumbing with the sawzall. I once removed the kitchen sink faucet that way because the nut was so corroded on to the thing I couldn't loosen it. Cut it off from the top and drove it down with a cold chisel.

I agree with Peter, buy new bolts. Even the closet flange bolts I put new ones in when I have to pull a toilet. They're usually sufficiently cruddy.

Bill Edwards(2)
01-14-2011, 9:18 AM
El-cheapo big screw driver from the bargain bin at the local hardware store.

Keep fighting with them til you can get vice grips on them.

http://www.unclebill.us/alts/dumbgrin.gif

Mike Cutler
01-14-2011, 9:31 AM
A large flathead screwdriver should do it.
The flat screwdriver side "usually" goes inside the tank, and the nuts are on the outside.. You're not trying to "gorilla torque" these nuts and bolts. You only need enough pressure to expand and seat the rubber grommet and hold the tank plumb,level and upright. Hold the screwdriver from the top and tighten, or loosen from underneath.
If installing new, the kit should have come with flat washers,and plastic washers. The flat washers and bolt should be stainless, the nuts probably won't be. Don't put the nut side in the tank unless the directions specifiy it, or a few years later you'll be doing it all over again.

If you're having trouble getting it out, double not the nut side to keep it from spinning and use a hacksaw blade to cut the bolt in half above the toilet. Be careful, there may be a porcelain raised lip.

Michael Schneider
01-14-2011, 12:20 PM
The bolts that attach commode tanks typically have a wide, shallow slot in their heads. What tool do plumbers use on these bolt heads? - a thick, wide screwdriver? I don't think I've ever seen a screwdriver that size for sale in a hardware store.

Those bolts are brass, so they are easy to cut. I just had the same problem. I did the following:
- picked up a set for my toilet (They have different sets for different manufactures).
- cut the old ones
- installed the new ones

Make sure you replace with brass bolts so it is easy to repeat in a couple of years :-)

Good luck,
Michael

Marty Gulseth
01-14-2011, 1:16 PM
And, (prob'ly goes without saying) don't crank 'em too tight. Don't ask how I know...

Marty

Chris Rosenberger
01-14-2011, 7:27 PM
I find that no straight screwdriver that I own will work. I'm going to have to exert considerable force. That's no problem on the nut, but the typical screwdriver isn't thick enough to fit tightly in the groove on the bolt head. It just slips out.

Edit: Tonight's solution, working alone: Prop up a socket wrench so it holds a socket on the nut to keep the bolt from turning. Use a drill with a bit about the the diameter of the bolt to drill down through the head of the bolt. Then use a drill bit with a larger diameter than the bolt to enlarge the hole till the head of the bolt comes off.

Other possibilities: There is a space between the tank and the lower part of the commode where you can see the shaft of the bolt. I tried reaching into that space with thin vise grips, and grabbing the shaft, but this would not hold the bolt still while I turned the nut. (It did wear the threads off bolt in that place.) I think a person could reach into that space with a hacksaw blade and cut the bolt.

Sorry Steve.
You did not say you needed to remove old bolts. I was thinking about installing a new toilet.
I have a handle that holds sawzall blades. I use the handle with a long sawzall blade for cutting off old bolts between the toilet & tank.

ray hampton
01-14-2011, 7:44 PM
screwdriver, must be a new bolt, the bolts screwdriver slots will corrode away fairly quickly

ray hampton
01-14-2011, 7:51 PM
where can I buy sockets wrench to fit the various fittings on the commode tank ?