PDA

View Full Version : Newbie learning to use laser engraving machine!!

Mike Berndt
01-13-2011, 9:15 PM
Hi all,
I have had this laser engraving machine for the last three months and have quite a bit to learn. I am using this ULS25-E 25 watt laser with my middle school classes to introduce laser technology to them. I have done a few pen laser engravings for names and that worked great. I am using Coreldraw X5 and it is working pretty well to date. I just did a small raster/vector project and am moving along slowly but am excited about the laser's potential. I would love any help or suggestion on teaching middle school students about lasers and their potential including the safety aspect of using them. Thanks for having such a great forum and I must say that I have learned quite a bit here in my short time being on this forum.

Bill Cunningham
01-13-2011, 9:39 PM
The best advice I can possibly give you is to look at the top of the first page where it says page 1 of 416, click 416 and start reading.. That's what I did when I first logged on years ago.. It's a great read, and learning experience.. Far better than any text book you will find..

Mike Berndt
01-13-2011, 10:37 PM
I agree and I am learning quite a bit about this exciting experience.:D

Dee Gallo
01-13-2011, 11:05 PM
As a former commercial art teacher, I see your position as a great way to teach kids some useful skills via the laser as the motivation. The actual act of pressing "GO" is not rocket science. Getting everything ready to GO is more the skill. Here's a list of things I would think they can learn:
1. organization - keeping records of their jobs, understanding the procedures and consequences of NOT following sequence, performing tests to see what happens with various substrates, etc. This can be a lot of fun, not expecting to make something, but seeing what happens with different settings and materials
2. safety - understanding how a dangerous tool can be handled safely, how to maintain it so it stays operational and safe, what to do if there's a fire, why safety precautions impact the health of your business, etc.
3. what properties each substrate has and how they react differently to the laser
4. how to set up a job for efficiency of time and material
5. the obvious computer skills needed, understanding the difference between vector and raster files
6. assessing a market niche, researching customer needs/wants, advertising, business planning, the difference between hobby and business enterprise
7. making stuff - small quick projects are rewarding and fun. There's no need to do big complicated jobs until there is a true interest. If you create assignments which are guaranteed to succeed if they follow instructions, enthusiasm & motivation to try harder is natural.

Okay, I could go on, but I'll stop there. Good luck with your classes!

cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
01-14-2011, 6:52 AM
The best advice I can possibly give you is to look at the top of the first page where it says page 1 of 416, click 416 and start reading.. That's what I did when I first logged on years ago.
Same here... took me several months of 40-hr weeks to get it all, but I'm an avid note-taker.

Mike Null
01-14-2011, 6:57 AM
Rule number 1. the laser works by burning things--take all necessary care

I would use the opportunity to teach, or ask your art teacher to step in, composition and layout. You can see examples on this site of beautiful work made so because the operator understood how to compose the "picture" they created. You can also see examples of where the engraver has not yet mastered this concept or is not aware of it.

David Fairfield
01-14-2011, 8:59 AM
Dee and Mike make really good points, its all in the preparation and design. The concept and graphic is where a kid can use some creativity and learn art / design / engineering / software skills. If you are teaching laser technology, I think its important to get past the neato personalized trinket aspect and show the big picture -- computer design and automated manufacture.

Art teacher might be able to suggest some projects. Besides the collage and scrapbooking ideas you can find at any craft store, there are many traditions of paper cutting that might serve as start points. Swiss, Polish and Chinese come to mind.

A math teacher can use it to demonstrate geometry / polygons. Look at some of the elaborate wooden marketry work done on old floors. The laser can cut these geometric shapes in wood veneers, to be assembled and glued into a tile that can be used as a very attractive trivet or decoration.

A science teacher can use it to demonstrate simple engineering principles, you can cut arches and trusses and brackets etc and measure the load bearing characteristics. You can cut models of bridge types, by scanning diagrams and tracing them. Maybe have a contest to see which kid's model can bear the most weight before collapsing.

Let us know what you come up with and how the kids reacted. Its always interesting to see what fires up kids these days.

Dave

Martin Boekers
01-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Safety is KEY!

It's easy to get caught up when it's new ("When you get a hammer everything is a nail" territory)
You be engraving everything you can think of.

A word of caution some materials under the heat of the laser put off dangerous gases, PVC is one.
Most anything with vinyl chloride should be avoided.

So do some research and stay safe!

Marty

Mike Berndt
01-14-2011, 7:23 PM
Hi Dee,
Wow, you are good!!! I have those items in my list too!! I think the laser will excite the students into wanting to learn more about materials and the laser's impact/reaction on them when engraving. Thanks for sharing I really appreciate your thought.

Mike B.

Mike Berndt
01-14-2011, 7:29 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for some great ideas, suggestions, and concerns. I will take all of them into consideration and will do more research on the laser topics as described. I am looking forward to al suggestions and pointers so please let me have them if you are willing to share your success and failure stories. You have my undivided attention.

Thanks again for you help :)

Josh Richard
01-15-2011, 3:49 PM
Here are some things that have worked well for my high school students that could easily be adapted for middle school
1. Card stock paper
a. Design product packaging
b. Design and fold boxes that stay together with no tape
c. Design and cut cars that race down a track. You can use straws to hold axels and wheels. The straws will easily glue onto the paper
d. Maglev cars that float on magnetic tracks (tracks and cheap magnets can be found from Pitsco Education)
2. Acrylic
a. Key chains to be sold to students for a profit
b. See this thread for name plates to sit on desks http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?154319-Name-Plate
3. Baltic Birch ply
a. Student achievement awards
b. Drinking coasters (great for Raster Vs. Vector)
c. Bridges that fit together and can be tested to breaking point (what Tech Ed class is complete without building and breaking bridges?)

Dee Gallo
01-15-2011, 4:05 PM
If you're taking suggestions for dirt-cheap simple projects kids can design & make for themselves, gifts or fundraising, here are a few:
1. denim or duck mousepads
2. fabric placemats and napkins (table runners or even whole tablecloths-recycle old ones)
3. wooden or plastic curtain tiebacks
4. holiday ornaments, suncatchers and zipper pulls
5. lampshade covers (good for recycling too!)
6. denim reusable book covers (recycle old jeans!)
7. wooden or plastic garden/plant markers
8. house number plaques, mailbox plaques
9. mobiles and wooden chimes
10. cheap clock face replacement
11. and EVERYONE loves nightlights! :D

:) dee

Dan Hintz
01-15-2011, 4:28 PM
duck mousepads
How do you keep the duck still?

Josh Richard
01-15-2011, 5:09 PM

Taxidermy...

Dee Gallo
01-15-2011, 6:16 PM
har har dee har guys...

Dan Hintz
01-15-2011, 9:52 PM
Taxidermy...
I know what you mean... the government taxes me so much, I feel stuffed, too!

David Fairfield
01-16-2011, 10:59 AM
In the work I do, I'm constantly needing to turn flat parts into 3 dimensional ones, the same way architects, engineers and carpenters have done for centuries. Its a useful mental exercise in spatial relationships. I believe the geometric formulas originated with Euclid. The calculations can be demonstrated and proven with laser cut parts.

I believe there is box cutting software that can automatically put interlocking box fingers on the parts so they snap together without glue.

Tesselations

http://www.coolmath4kids.com/tesspag1.html

Polyhedra

http://www.coolmath4kids.com/polyhedra/index.html

Bill Cunningham
01-16-2011, 9:24 PM

Duck Tape! What else!