PDA

View Full Version : Mortiser finally finished!

Sparky Paessler
04-11-2003, 3:17 PM
Just wanted to post a picture of the mortiser that I just finished. I was inspired by the one Dan Barber built. Most all the metal parts came off of some machines that I got in a scrap sale here at work for $20. Used it last night to cut 48 mortises in some legs for 3 end tables. Worked great.

Thanks for looking.

Von Bickley
04-11-2003, 3:27 PM
Sparky,

Congratulations on your "New" mortiser. I'm sure you will get a lot of use from it and I know you'll be "proud of it". Thanks for showing it to us.

Sparky Paessler
04-11-2003, 3:28 PM
Here is a shot of the back side.

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-11-2003, 3:37 PM
Goooooood Grief Charley Brown!
That's my kind of engineering!
Looks great
I really like it.
:D

Steve Clardy
04-11-2003, 4:33 PM
Looks like you put in a lot of thought and hard work into it.
Send it to me and I will test it out. Steve:D :D :D :D :D :D

Bruce Page
04-11-2003, 7:03 PM
Now that is a slick, well-designed piece of machinery.

Well done!

John Miliunas
04-11-2003, 8:35 PM
I can't hardly spell "injunearing" much less pull something like that off! Neat rig, plus having the pleasure of designing and building it yourself. Truly neat! :cool:

Bobby Hatfield
04-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Great looking machine. Has anyone tried to build a mortise machine that moves the router/motor/cutter instead of the mounting table, for milling slots for house door sized parts, especially the wide rails where the mortise has to be in the end and the long mortise in the door stiles, these parts are really a job to support and move with one end clamped down to the table. I have the Rojec and have that problem with it.

Sparky Paessler
04-16-2003, 8:38 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments. It was fun to build and I look forward to using it.

Guy Kowalski
04-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Sparky, who long did it take from start to finish? BTW, excellent job! You should be proud.:D

Dan Barber
04-21-2003, 4:52 AM
I'm glad to see that someone actually carried through on their intentions to build one of the mortisers. They work great don't they? Wonderful job, I'm sure you'll find more and more uses for it now that you have one.

Cheers,

Dan

Sparky Paessler
04-22-2003, 11:59 AM
I hardly ever keep up with how many hours a projects takes. I built it over a four week period but did not work on it very consistently. As far as planning I kind of made it up as I went along. I had Dan's design in my head and some great parts from some scraped machines and it just came together. I used it yesterday to cut the tendons for the end tables that I had cut the mortises for and it worked great. I really like having the screw feed for the in/out adjustment. Still have some parts left over and was thinking about building an XY table for the drill press maybe. Still haven't decided what to build out of the 57" linear bearings that I was given. (maybe a sliding table for the saw?)

Thanks for the inspiration Dan!

Sparky Paessler

Bob Oswin
04-23-2003, 8:01 PM
I love it Sparky!

Could I asked you where the Acme threaded rods came from?
I am always looking for them and no luck!
bob

Sparky Paessler
04-24-2003, 12:07 PM
Bob

The Acme Threaded rods came out of some equipment that I picked up in a scrap sale at work. most all of the parts came off this equipment. (electronic board manufacturing equipment.) You might try a search on Ebay for "lead screw" which is what I think that they are listed as.

Guy Kowalski
04-24-2003, 8:55 PM
You may also want to try under the catagory "ball screw"

Guy Kowalski
04-24-2003, 8:58 PM
I am also working on my version. I found an X- Axis table on Ebay (pictured in next post) and will turn it into the mortisers X axis as shown in my drawing.

Guy Kowalski
04-24-2003, 9:12 PM
I bought this Z-Axis table for cheap on eBay....

Guy Kowalski
04-24-2003, 9:14 PM
I will use the above slide for the Z-Axis portion of the mortiser as diagrammed in the drawing below....