PDA

View Full Version : New toolrest needed for G0698. Anyone? What am I in for?

dirk martin
01-13-2011, 8:50 PM
Ok, I broke the stem of the toolrest on my Grizzly G0698 lathe, while roughing an 18" Ash blank. Nobody hurt.

I think I've read up here that I won't be able to go to Woodcraft and get a new one, cuz nobody's besides Grizzly's fits.

I really don't want to wait to get one from Grizzly, and I think others have retrofitted other tool rests.

What can you folks tell me?

Ryan Baker
01-13-2011, 9:30 PM
What size (diameter) is the post? I'd be really suprised if it was anything but 1", in which case you could pick up any style rest you wish from anywhere around you. Woodcraft also has some models with interchangeable post sizes. If you can weld (or know someone who can), you could make up your own. But you could get something from one of the mail order vendors almost as fast as going to the local Woodcraft.

Jake Helmboldt
01-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Some have indicated that it is likely metric, meaning 25mm whereas 1" is 25.4mm. The difference can be taken care of by reaming the banjo out with some coarse sandpaper on a dowel. Stick with a 1" since they are a standard size and clean up the hole in the banjo to make life easy.

Roger Chandler
01-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Dirk,

The listing on the tool rest post is 1 inch, but I found that the hole for the banjo is just about .002 smaller. If you take a 1 inch drill bit, or a 1 inch grinding stone that you can get from a hardware supplier and ream the hole just a little, then most any aftermarket rest will fit. Get the1 inch post from any supplier, but measure from the top of the banjo to the center of the spindle to make sure you get the correct height.

Your lathe is under warranty, and Grizzly will replace a broken rest.........I would call them and have them get me one ASAP. I ordered a second tool rest and banjo for my G0698 because I have a duplicator that fits into the banjos, and only one came with the lathe.

Hope this helps. By the way, the rest on the Jet 16/42 is identical to the one on the Grizzly G0698, just in case you want to get one sooner, if Grizzly happens not to have one in stock.

Fred Belknap
01-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Clamp the banjo to a DP and run a 1" bit through it. That's what I did.

dirk martin
01-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks gang. I'll ream it out.
I'd like to get back to turning, tomorrow...lots of box elder, Ash, and Walnut bowls to get through, so I'll just go to my local Woodcraft, get a rest, and I'll be back in business.

Reed Gray
01-14-2011, 11:16 AM
For good bowl tool rests, both inside and outside, go to Robust (comfort tool rest with hardened drill rod) or Oneway.

robo hippy

Kyle Iwamoto
01-14-2011, 9:08 PM
+1 on the Robust rest....

dirk martin
01-14-2011, 9:19 PM
I ended up going with a Sorby rest. I wanted to get it today, and that's all Woodcraft had in stock. Hope it works out for me.