PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Bottle Stopper and Pen

Dick Parr
01-10-2005, 5:48 PM
Saturday I visited Jim to pick up my ambrosia maple bowl blanks and while I was there he gave me some small blanks that he is going to sell for making stoppers and pens asked me if they would be any good. This stuff sure is nice to turn and has great figure. :D I would say they will make great Bottle Stoppers and Pens Jim ;) :p Looks like I am going to have to get some more stuff from you. :D

Thanks for looking and Thanks Jim :)

Gary Max
01-10-2005, 6:08 PM
Dick I think that's the sharpest looking stopper I have seen--plus the pen is great.

John Shuk
01-10-2005, 6:34 PM
Looks nice Dick! I like the "I'd better take some home and turn it to see if it's any good" trick you played on Jim too! I just got the bottle stopper kit from Penn State. The first stopper I did came out good but I found that when I used the bit they supplied my blank spun on the screw chuck they supply if I didn't use the tailstock. Has this happened to you?

Jim Ketron
01-10-2005, 6:36 PM
WOW Dick Those are awesome!!!!:eek:
Looks like I need to get busey cutting some more stopper blanks and pen blanks! Thanks for trying them out. looks like they are going to be worth the effort.They definatly will make some unique stuff I didn't know how they would look because I have never seen any turned before.
Thanks
Jim Ketron

Michael Stafford
01-10-2005, 7:28 PM
Dick, that is a beautiful stopper. Absolutely as pretty as any I have seen you make. Nothing slouchy about the pen either. Good job on both!

Dick Parr
01-10-2005, 7:43 PM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone, this was a fun project to turn. ;)

John, some woods will spin on ya. The hard ones usually don't spin, in fact you wish they would go in easier. :D When I do get one that spins I can do a couple of things. I can either put some sawdust into the hole and screw it on or put a little piece of paper into the hole and screw it on. It doesn't take much to get a good snug fit.

I use the PSI chuck to make all my stoppers including the chrome, cork and silicon. Set them all up like you are going to make a chrome stopper and then when it is turned and finished, take 3/8" drill and ream the hole out to accept a 3/8" dowel to mount the cork on. Will also work for the 3/8" two step dowel for the silicon.

Have fun.

John Shuk
01-11-2005, 1:19 AM
I like the idea of the paper. It was cocoblo that i had trouble with but when I put it on the stopper it was nice and snug. I think the paper or sawdust will do me just fine. Thanks.
John