PDA

View Full Version : Broken circles within circles

Michelle Rich
01-13-2011, 6:38 PM
Spalted Maple 10 inches Look carefully. The circles are broken/or offset. (people seem to miss it) Hope it intrigues. :cool:

David Warkentin
01-13-2011, 6:44 PM
Beautiful Michelle. You have an interesting way of turning wood. Wish I knew how you did that!

David DeCristoforo
01-13-2011, 7:04 PM
This one is deliciously deceptive. At first glance it just looks like a group of concentric rings, nice enough and an interesting design. But then you see what is really going on with it and suddenly it's complexity is revealed. Your best effort yet!

Rich Aldrich
01-13-2011, 7:30 PM
Beautiful work - very complicated. You are a real artist.

Roger Chandler
01-13-2011, 7:35 PM
Michelle,

the hits just keep on a 'comin! that is a great piece and shows a technically advanced skill set. the offsetting 1/2 circles that alternate shows you had to go at this on two different cutting passes for each circle, or some sort of alternating arrangement.

Boy, I'll tell ya' that a tutorial or a work in progress series of pics in sequence would be a great thread for this if you were willing to share your technique..........:):cool:

This is very special, indeed! :)

Russell Eaton
01-13-2011, 7:36 PM
That is beautiful. I agree it is complicated, and you are gifted. Thanks for showing.

Michael James
01-13-2011, 7:50 PM
NIce one again! You are on a roll here. The piece is impeccibly done, and seem to demand that you pay attention to whats going on. Almost Escher -esqe in it's deceptiveness.
Thanks for posting.
mj

Steve LaFara
01-13-2011, 8:10 PM
Ok, I give. How do you do that?

John Keeton
01-13-2011, 8:11 PM
Michelle, I was posting on your thread on WoW, and got a cyber glitch - have no idea what happened, but it didn't post. I used to have that happen on SMC often, but not recently. Anyway, I will just post my comments here!

From the appearance, this one is by far your most complex piece. It draws both the eye and the mind, and it that regard it is certainly your best piece. From a purely personal point of view, I like the one previous better because of its soothing, mesmerizing quality. One didn't have to think (though there was enough to ponder!), but on this one it is difficult to look at without being drawn into the complexity of the method.

Either way - you have done a wonderful job with this one!

David E Keller
01-13-2011, 8:24 PM
Very interesting design and well executed. I think the extra holes at the end of the half-rings is the part that I find the most interesting... I'm not sure why, but that's what my eyes are drawn to.

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2011, 9:30 PM
Michelle that is a beautiful and intriguing piece. It just draws the eyes.

Baxter Smith
01-13-2011, 9:42 PM
That is a very neat piece and fascinating to study and try and figure out. Not as dreamy as your previous piece for me, but that may say something about the viewer!

Doug W Swanson
01-13-2011, 11:56 PM
That is impressive! I'd like to see a tutorial on that!

Also, can someone tell me what this WoW site is? I've tried searching for but have not been able to find it....

Tim Thiebaut
01-14-2011, 12:05 AM
That is very impressive, I wouldnt mind seeing a tutorial either. I just found the WoW site last night, its there but the address isnt listed as WoW.

Jim Burr
01-14-2011, 6:00 AM
Amazing piece Michelle!! I can't imagine the patience this must take. Do you go bonkers looking at it when your turning them?!

Alan Heffernan
01-14-2011, 7:18 AM
Very interesting and I too am interested in the "how". Looks like some tedious chucking and indexing to me.

Rob Cunningham
01-14-2011, 7:35 AM
Great work Michelle. I too would like to see a tutorial on your process.

Scott Hackler
01-14-2011, 11:37 AM
This is another nice one Michelle. I, as well as EVERYONE, would like to see a tutorial. Just to satisfy our curiousity. Until then we can only speculate on the technique. I imagine the use of a jig held plunge router or a CNC machine for accomplishing this result.

Paul Gilbert
01-14-2011, 11:45 AM
My bet is that he spent more time with his router than he did on the lathe.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Nicest one yet Michelle, I suppose it is a lot of sanding after you have routered the grooves in, the holes do they help locate the start or is there some other reason for them, Layout ?
You have the router clamped to a sliding table on the lathe and then rotate the turning I suppose :-))

Greg Ketell
01-14-2011, 2:03 PM
Very cool routing!

Richard Madden
01-14-2011, 4:10 PM
Intriguing?...I'll say.