PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to buy Sanding Belts? - and tool gloat!

Bob Elliott
01-13-2011, 5:51 PM
I have a 6x48 belt sander I found in the trash at work. It works great and the bearings are tight. I suspect safety red-tagged it and it got thrown out. It even came with a metal stand. Being free the price was right!

Where is the best place to buy belts for this sander?

Bob

Neil Brooks
01-13-2011, 6:03 PM
Did you check the trash :)

Peachtree Woodworking sells 'em, but ... if it were me ... I'd buy 'em from Klingspor (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/228DB9F1/mac/qryitems.mac/itemDisplay?qryType=GRPSG&group=BELTS&lenSgDsc=66X48).

Oh, and ... for the record ... you suck ;)

Bob Elliott
01-13-2011, 6:26 PM
Peachtree is cheaper. Anyone know how their quality is?

Picture of subject sander attached. It has a 3 HP Baldor motor and looks like it saw little use.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Bruce Page
01-13-2011, 7:15 PM
Nice gloat.
I run Klingspor on mine. I’m very happy with their durability and they have the best seam joint that I have found.
For what you paid for the sander, quality belts should be easy. :rolleyes:

Neil Brooks
01-13-2011, 7:52 PM
Picture of subject sander attached. It has a 3 HP Baldor motor and looks like it saw little use.

The motor is junk, and subject to spontaneous greasy fires -- doubtless why it was red-tagged.

You should send me that motor, pronto, and get yourself a REAL motor -- say, from Harbor Freight.

Bro: I KNOW you'd do it for me....

:D

Anthony Whitesell
01-13-2011, 7:55 PM
I don't know the quality, but the best price I found was grizzly, but I was also looking for 220g which is pretty rare apparently.

Dino Drosas
01-13-2011, 9:44 PM
You can always buy cheaper. As with any abrasives; you get what you pay for. I cannot say enough good about Klingspor quality or their service. Dino Drosas

Roger Bullock
01-13-2011, 10:29 PM
I purchase my sanding belts form Online Industry Supply. Wide range of manufacture, quality, and sizes.

Mike Zilis
01-14-2011, 1:33 AM
I like Industrial Abrasives dot com out of Reading PA. Good prices and quality products.

Mike

jim gossage
01-14-2011, 5:49 AM
I have bought belts from Grizzly and Klingspor - a little more expensive but the quality is much better from Klingspor. The Griz belts did not have a smooth seam and you would fee/hear a little thump each time the belt passed under the workpiece. The Klingspor were quiet and last longer.

Scott T Smith
01-14-2011, 9:47 AM
You can always buy cheaper. As with any abrasives; you get what you pay for. I cannot say enough good about Klingspor quality or their service. Dino Drosas

+1. Klingspor is a major supplier to commercial shops. Their products have excellent quality.

Justin Bukoski
01-14-2011, 1:57 PM
+1 for Klingspor

glenn bradley
01-14-2011, 2:17 PM
+1 Klingspor. For abrasives there's cheap items that wear out fast and are actually expensive and there's reasonable items that last well and are actually cheaper than the "cheap" stuff.

george wilson
01-14-2011, 2:50 PM
That looks like a Kalamazoo sander. For some reason they are very expensive.

Bob Elliott
01-14-2011, 4:36 PM
That looks like a Kalamazoo sander. For some reason they are very expensive.

I can't find a manufacturer tag on the machine so I don't know who made it. I'll look at Kalamazoo and see if they made it.

I am disappointed with the way the table is held on the machine. There is one bolt that secures it. IMHO they should have pivoted about a bolt and held with a second.

Rick Lizek
01-14-2011, 5:17 PM
Do commercial purchasing. Have bought from all places mentioned and more. Industrial Abrasives is the all time best for quality, price and service. Lowest minimum for custom belts as well.

Bob Elliott
01-15-2011, 9:26 AM
Anyone know where I can find a miter gauge for this tool? the slot is 5/8" wide by 3/8" deep.

This is a Kalamazoo machine: http://www.kalamazooind.com/products/belt-sanders/s6ms-6%E2%80%B3-belt-sander/