PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Router

Ken Higginbotham
01-13-2011, 4:37 PM
HD has these on sale for 129 and I have been needing a plunge router - anybody have one?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=ridgid+router&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1906127481967589536#

Derek Gilmer
01-13-2011, 4:40 PM
I had one for awhile and liked it pretty well. For the price I'd say it is hard to beat. Only reason I don't ahve it anymore is I got rid of it to upgrade to a 3hp for dedicated table use.

Ken Higginbotham
01-13-2011, 4:54 PM
Thanks Derek, I want to do mortises with the plunge feature and have one that has standard size guide bushing plate opening for a dovetail jig.

frank shic
01-13-2011, 5:05 PM
i love that router. it's got a really long cord, a centering cone, a CLEAR BASE <- why isn't this a standard feature on EVERY router??? that's a great price too... i'm almost tempted to get another one except i'm running out of storage space and i'm really in the market for a 3hp lol

Ken Higginbotham
01-13-2011, 5:07 PM
I've been looking at them and around christmas the price went from 199 to 169 (I think) and then the other day they went to 129. Wonder if they plan to replace them with another model...?

Chuck Tringo
01-13-2011, 5:17 PM
I checked the local HD and they still had it at $159, I'll check the one near work next week....with my 10% off for military, i cant pass that up...

Derek Gilmer
01-13-2011, 5:29 PM
I believe the take the PC size bushings.

Ken Higginbotham
01-13-2011, 5:47 PM
Is 'PC' some kind of industry standard? I just bought a set from the local Rockler sale. Not sure if they were 'PC'...?

Eoghan Brown
01-13-2011, 6:02 PM
Ken,

HD had the Porter Cable 2.25 HP router on clearence for 99.00, but there hard to find as they are clearing them out. However In my quest to get one the HD sales person was willing to sale one of the Ridgid models that you are looking at for the same price 99.00.. May be worth a try?

good luck

frank shic
01-13-2011, 6:51 PM
Is 'PC' some kind of industry standard? I just bought a set from the local Rockler sale. Not sure if they were 'PC'...?

yup most likely

Mark Ashmeade
01-13-2011, 7:22 PM
They do indeed take PC (Porter Cable) bushings. As supplied with the PC dovetail jig. I've had one of these Ridgids for getting on for 3 years now, and it's been great. My only gripe was that having mounted the fixed base under my shop-built router table, it was a pain to HAVE to use the plunge base all the time. Having got the aforementioned dovetail jig a bit over a year ago, I saw the usefulness of having dedicated routers just for that purpose. So that's one in the table, two for the jig, and one to use normally by hand. Well as of this afternoon, I officially have a collection of R29302 routers to fill my needs!

And I used to laugh when I read about people with several routers :)

Derek Gilmer
01-13-2011, 7:47 PM
yup most likely

My craftsman takes them as does the ryobi maybe? I think the main non-pc bushing routers are the bosch 1617 series.

Ken Higginbotham
01-13-2011, 8:26 PM
Ken,

HD had the Porter Cable 2.25 HP router on clearence for 99.00, but there hard to find as they are clearing them out. However In my quest to get one the HD sales person was willing to sale one of the Ridgid models that you are looking at for the same price 99.00.. May be worth a try?

good luck

Good idea, I have talked 'em down at Lowes before :)

Ken Higginbotham
01-13-2011, 8:27 PM
They do indeed take PC (Porter Cable) bushings. As supplied with the PC dovetail jig. I've had one of these Ridgids for getting on for 3 years now, and it's been great. My only gripe was that having mounted the fixed base under my shop-built router table, it was a pain to HAVE to use the plunge base all the time. Having got the aforementioned dovetail jig a bit over a year ago, I saw the usefulness of having dedicated routers just for that purpose. So that's one in the table, two for the jig, and one to use normally by hand. Well as of this afternoon, I officially have a collection of R29302 routers to fill my needs!

And I used to laugh when I read about people with several routers :)

Ah.... Pc = porter cable. :)

frank shic
01-14-2011, 12:48 AM
just remembered, the ridgid router also has a light on it to increase visibility... i can't stand it any longer! i'm going to leave a little early tomorrow just to check my local hd pricing :)

Ken Higginbotham
01-14-2011, 6:53 AM
Think I will as well - Thanks for the input!

frank shic
01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
$129 still... this was a no-brainer... now have to come up with a use for it lol

Ken Higginbotham
01-14-2011, 12:28 PM
I happen to have $200 in HD gift cards from xmas :)

frank shic
01-15-2011, 1:23 AM
installed the router tonight on a router table for my kreg beaded face frame kit and i forgot about the excellent above table height adjustment - this time around i actually remembered to drill for the adjusting tool lol. love the locking button for one wrench bit changes. the dust shrouds are nicely included along with it unlike the bosch which i also own. the only thing i don't like is that paddle switch but i'll probably just hook it up to a pedal anyways. can't wait to fire it up tomorrow and make some test cuts!

Tony Perrone
01-15-2011, 9:48 AM
Just bought it used a 20% harbor freight coupon and a gift card walked out the store with it for $70.00

frank shic
01-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Just bought it used a 20% harbor freight coupon and a gift card walked out the store with it for $70.00

you are HURTING me lol gratz

Andrew Hohnstein
01-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Sweet. Thanks for the tip. Picked a kit up yesterday. The $99 PC was out of stock but they still had a few of these left.

Steve H Graham
01-15-2011, 2:01 PM
And I used to laugh when I read about people with several routers

Yeah, how about those idiots? I only have four.

frank shic
01-15-2011, 2:13 PM
i lost track after six... or was it seven? rofl i swear i'll find a use for all of them.... eventually! ;)

Chuck Tringo
01-15-2011, 6:04 PM
frank, does the dust shroud accept a shop vac hose? The one I saw in HD today didn't have a hose connection and I couldn't tell from examining the box

johnny means
01-15-2011, 6:12 PM
HD has these on sale for 129 and I have been needing a plunge router - anybody have one?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=ridgid+router&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1906127481967589536#

Well, I didnt have one until I saw your post. Now I have two. Thanks for the heads up. I had been eyeing these for years, but couldn't bring myself to try one when the price was so close to the PC's, but at $129 it was a no brainer. I really like the feature set, though they do appear considerably bulkier than other models. I'll be using mine for interchangable router table set ups, so the extra bulk won't bother me. Hmmm, HD did have a couple more:D:D

johnny means
01-15-2011, 6:14 PM
frank, does the dust shroud accept a shop vac hose? The one I saw in HD today didn't have a hose connection and I couldn't tell from examining the box

Yes, they do have a dust collection attachment.

Chuck Tringo
01-15-2011, 6:55 PM
guess im headed back to HD tomorrow, thanks....just picked up the Ridgid 23 gauge pin nailer on clearance for 59 + 10% off for 53.10 :D

Chuck Tringo
01-16-2011, 2:30 PM
Got it, $116.10 out the door, thanks guys :) Anyone happen to know what edge guides work with them...the holes look a bit small for the Bosch ones and HD doesnt carry one for the Ridgid...the ryobi they do carry looks a bit flimsy...

art san jr
01-16-2011, 3:54 PM

You lucky so and so. I picked up one yesterday....delivered to the store by Fedex in Dec 2008.... would you believe. The box was trashed even with the electronic gizmo attached. Was the last one, stored way-up near the roof. Guy got the ladder. I whined and complained and the nice lady at C.S. knocked off 15 bucks. So $220 with tax.
It look good, well worth the $$$$$$$$$s. I'm happy though haven't used it yet.

Art.

Derek Gilmer
01-16-2011, 4:43 PM
Got it, $116.10 out the door, thanks guys :) Anyone happen to know what edge guides work with them...the holes look a bit small for the Bosch ones and HD doesnt carry one for the Ridgid...the ryobi they do carry looks a bit flimsy...

Porter cable I believe.

anthony arguello
01-16-2011, 5:03 PM
Well, I didnt have one until I saw your post. Now I have two. Thanks for the heads up. I had been eyeing these for years, but couldn't bring myself to try one when the price was so close to the PC's, but at $129 it was a no brainer. I really like the feature set, though they do appear considerably bulkier than other models. I'll be using mine for interchangable router table set ups, so the extra bulk won't bother me. Hmmm, HD did have a couple more:D:D

I just bought both the ridgid and the PC. I used the HF 20% coupon and walked out spending $199.27 instead of $247. I grabbed the current Wood Magazine from that HD had on the rack and used the HF coupon I found inside. The cashier said she had to cut the coupon out of the magazine, I told her to go ahead, it was her magazine. She looked puzzled...
I now have four routers...Thanks guys...

Steven Wahlert
02-24-2011, 9:19 AM
The Homer Glen (Chicago 'burbs) HD still had 2 of the PC 892's in stock yesterday at the $99 price.

Didn't see any of the Ridgid combos.

frank shic
02-24-2011, 11:52 AM
wow that's a bargain but i think i've run out of router table space in the garage lol