PDA

View Full Version : Deep Hollowed Box

Michael Stafford
01-10-2005, 5:07 PM
Here is my first attempt at a deep hollowed box. In walnut it is 3 1/4" in diameter and 6 1/4" tall. The bottom section is 4 3/8" tall and the inside is 2 7/8" diameter and 4 1/8" deep. I cut the inside with a gouge and then finished with a square scraper and therein lies my problem. No matter how careful or gentle I was, I was unable to get perfectly smooth cuts in the square bottom. :o

My fingers are not long enough to sand the bottom and I have the cuts, scrapes and blisters to prove it. I was able to use a sanding stick to sand the sides but could not figure out a way to sand the bottom. :o Any help? :confused:

Harry Pye
01-10-2005, 5:20 PM
Michael,

First of all, that is a good looking box made from some striking wood. You 'dun' good!

For sanding the bottom, you might take a look at Richard Raffan's tape entitled "Hollowing Endgrain." He sands the sides with a stick. On the bottom he doubles the paper over the stick so that some of the grit is on the bottom. Using a really sharp scraper for the last cuts probably helps too.

Steve Inniss
01-10-2005, 6:06 PM
Mike,
That's beautiful.

Couple of other suggestions: Make sure the scraper is a hefty one, use a scraper burnisher to put a burr on the scraper. Also consider a slightly rounded bottom which is easier to sand and not really noticeable.

I think some info is here:
http://www.sydneywoodturners.com.au/site/articles/techniques/hollowing%20boxes.html

-Steve

Michael Stafford
01-10-2005, 7:34 PM
Thanks Steve. I am using a 3/8" thick by 1" wide scraper and I have radiused the end just as described by Richard Raffan. I also use a burnisher. So I guess I need more practice or better tool control. The scratches are obvious/visible but not terrible. Too late to sand them as Harry suggested but I'll try that the next time... Appreciate the feedback.

Tom Wynn
01-10-2005, 7:45 PM
Mike, I have been told but not yet tried a simple solution... Using a little wax or oil will help soften/lubricate the wood and produce a clean cut. I am working on a small box made from a maple burl for my daughter and plan to try it then.

Good luck.

Tom

Dick Parr
01-10-2005, 7:48 PM
Another outstanding box Mike. That sure is a purty one. :D There getting bigger and bigger on ya. To help get to more support to the bottom of the box, I ordered on a post and plate from Lee Valley last night.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=46452&category=1,330,49238&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID=

Don't know if that will help ya or not.

Again, the box is beautiful. :)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Another good one, Mike. I really like the wood. I agree that a flat bottom is hard to get right. I always try to have a little roundness at the bnottom. Gues I need more skill, but I have the same problems you do.

Jim Becker
01-11-2005, 9:31 AM
This is very nice, Mike. The simple form works well as the bead at the lid joint and the angular construction with a slight radius on the top hold a lot of interest. Beautiful!