PDA

View Full Version : Chuck question and I need help.

Walter Plummer
01-13-2011, 3:12 PM
I got a Oneway stronghold chuck for Christmas. I am trying to use it on a 70's vintage Powermatic 90. It (the chuck) has some wobble. How true does everyones chuck run? Dial indicator on the spindle itself shows .002" revolving it by hand. Is that acceptable? When I grab the spindle and /or the chuck I cannot feel any play. I have removed the insert cleaned everything and reinstalled it. Putting the indicator on the chuck body shows .010" each revolution. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-13-2011, 3:27 PM
Walter,
Call Oneway and talk to Kevin. He is the engineer and I believe an owner. He will probably tell you to check your spindle to make sure the run out is not there. They are a really good company and if he feels there is a defect he will surely replace it. Here is the number: 1.800.565.7288
faust

Tim Rinehart
01-13-2011, 3:28 PM
the chuck body itself wouldn't seem as important to me as the runout of the jaws when installed.
One thing to make sure of, is that your insert is fully seated. I recall checking mine at one time and ended up removing the insert, cleaning everything really well, then lightly lubricating it and reinstalling. Be sure to alternate every 1/4 degree turn or so to keep from binding. You should get to a point where the install screws on the adapter both feel like they take equal effort to turn...otherwise, one side may be binding and that will likely increase your runout.
I'm sure others will chime in...lots of little tricks and issues with chucks...but the Stronghold is a good one. May be worth a call to Oneway if no-one presents any definitive idea of that the body runout should be.
Spindle runout seems a bit high, but I've not checked mine. The bearings could be ready to replace. Not sure how difficult on an older PM...newer ones don't look that difficult to replace and you can pick up OEM equivalent bearings pretty cheaply, i.e less than $15 each. (more from NAPA/Grainger...less if you buy online, but source may be questionable)

Alan Trout
01-13-2011, 4:02 PM
.002 is not squat. It should not be any trouble. The bowl will move more than that just from heat from a turning tool. Of course this is MHO.

Good luck

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2011, 4:25 PM
Walter - put something in the chuck - like a piece of drill rod or something you know is straight. Then take a reading on the rod to see what kind of run out you get.

Let us know what you find!

Fred Perreault
01-13-2011, 4:59 PM
Walter, I am not sure where you see the wobble, but looks can be deceiving. Put something you are sure is straight in the chuck, and check that. There is a certain amount of runout that is barely perceptable from the variations in the wood movement.
Good luck,

Walter Plummer
01-14-2011, 9:09 PM
Took it apart, put it together a couple more times. Got an email reply from Kevin with something to try. In the end I have it to .003" runout on a 1/2" drill rod chucked in the number one jaws and I think that's as good as it is going to get. You can't "see" it anymore like before. Thanks for the replies and help.