PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about goverment work?

Steve knight
01-13-2011, 1:44 PM
I bid on a job that these waterjet guys could not do. The only reason was they could not put a chamfer on the holes. I guess they never heard of a hand held router.
well they are out of state and they had the 40 sheets of plywood at the waterjet place. I placed a bid (almost wish I had not) and they took it by that afternoon. I made them pay a friend to go get the plywood.
I told them I wanted 1/2 the payment up front and the rest when done.
But they wanted this by tomorrow. I did not even get the accurate drawings till Tuesday night and this job is about 20 hours of work.
well I am still waiting for the fist check but I am 1/2 the way through.
I am not worried about getting paid but the costomer just asked for my certificate of conformance as what I am cutting out are a couple of parts to hold warheads for the military.
well of course I don't have one. so I am worried that I won't get paid.
the tolerances are tight and I have been measuring everything and dialing it in.
But what am I supposed to do they never asked for it till just today. Should I keep cutting?

Todd Crawford
01-13-2011, 2:16 PM
A certificate of conformance is simply a form that states that what you are delivering is what they ordered. Nothing fancy about it. Here is a sample.

http://www.inl.gov/procurement/docs/540.04.pdf

Belinda Barfield
01-13-2011, 2:16 PM
Steve, sent you a PM. E-mail me if you have questions.

Dave Anderson NH
01-13-2011, 2:26 PM
Steve, A certificate of conformanace for most government military work is a form stating that you have complied with the requirements of the purchase order and the drawing. This means using the material specified on the drawing, meeting the required tolerances, and using the required special processes such as plating, painting, part marking, heat treating, welding, etc. If the material was supplied to you I would ask the supplier for a detailed description of it and some documentation tracing its origin. Personally, if you have met the requirements and have documented everything, you should be all right. For the future, if bidding on something and the government is involved, insist on a written purchase order and if the written order comes in and has clauses and requirements that were not stated on the bid document or your customer's request for quote, reject the order and email them with your objections. If the unexpected clauses aren't removed or modified and you can't reach an agreement with the customer refuse to accept the order. Remember that a purchase order is not valid until you have confirmed acceptance. The government deserves and expects to get what it orders and so do their subcontractors. Both are extrememly unforgiving if requirements are not met and the low end of the food chain always gets the blame. It's a case of guilty until proven innocent. FYI, I've been doing military contract and subcontract work for over 30 years in my day job.

Dan Hintz
01-13-2011, 2:46 PM
they had the 40 sheets of plywood at the waterjet place.

I am cutting out are a couple of parts to hold warheads for the military.
Plywood being used to hold warheads... and they want a certificate of conformance?

Welcome to the government!

Michael Weber
01-13-2011, 4:16 PM
Hope your using WAteR proof plywood. :)

Mike Cutler
01-13-2011, 5:39 PM
Plywood being used to hold warheads... and they want a certificate of conformance?

Welcome to the government!

The nosecone section of at least three obsolete ICBM missiles were 7 layers of laminated sitka spruce. DAMHIKT

Steve may making the shipping/transfer crates/cannisters, or the internal support plate structure for the crates.

I'd tell ya' about the use of wood in the thrust vector control system of the rocket nozzles, but it's so secret, that I forgot.:eek:

John Pratt
01-13-2011, 6:04 PM
Dave is spot on in his remarks. The Military and most of the subcontractors are very specific in their specs and what they expect. Even when the specs don't make sense, they want it that way. He is also correct that the low man on the pole gets the blame. The military will blame the sub, the sub will just push it off on the person doing the work, and you get left holding the bag. It can be difficult working in this arena, but once you find out how the system works, it can be enjoyable and profitable work. I currently run a woodworking shop for the military, but I have the advantage of not being a contractor. It is a lot less hassle and paperwork as a DOD employee instead of a contractor. The moneyis in contracting, but I would rather not deal with the hassle.