PDA

View Full Version : Managing FLOOR vibration from cyclone DC on concrete slab

Joel Griffies
01-13-2011, 1:35 PM
With the many basement shop setups on here I am wondering if anyone has done anything to try to minimize vibration carried through a concrete slab when using a dust collectory mounted to the foor.

I am ordering the Grizzly G0440 and planning to mount it using their stand but would liek to do something to try to minimize vibration and therefore noise. Once it is setup I will be building a room around it with sound insulation but wanted to cover the floor vibration as well.

There was at least one post that mentioned some products by Grainger for celing vibration but anyone used their products for the floor?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Joel

Neil Brooks
01-13-2011, 1:51 PM
There are ALL sort of noise-dampening/isolating products sold at many different places.

Some use hockey pucks.

I just googled "vibration isolation mounts." The first site was this one (http://enterprise.thomasnet.com/category/vibration-isolation-mounts-1005?&plpver=1002), but there were loads of them.

Here's (http://www.vibrationmounts.com/Catalog.htm) just another one.

And another one (http://www.shocktech.com/products/products/products.html).

Should be a thousand ways to reduce the noise and vibration, reasonably cost-effectively.

Ken Garlock
01-13-2011, 2:04 PM
Hello Joel.

When I built my Cyclone dust collector, I hung it from the shop ceiling. But, then when I installed my air compressor, I set it on 4 shock-mounts that were attached to two 2x4 strips. My air compressor weighs about 400 lbs, so I bought 4 shock-mounts rated at 200 lbs each.

Graingers is an excellent industrial supply company, but I tend to deal with McMaster & Carr. Either company can supply you with shock absorbers suitable for your situation.

Another thought, I wrapped the cyclone duct work from and to the cyclone out about 6 feet with fiberglass insulation. It did help reduce the noise by dampening the vibration near the metal cyclone. You might consider insulating the physical cyclone also.

Eric DeSilva
01-13-2011, 2:05 PM
I set mine on the 3/4" hard rubber drain mats you find at the Borg for $10. It's worked fine.

Joel Griffies
01-13-2011, 3:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Michael N Taylor
01-13-2011, 3:57 PM
I just put 1/4" rubber under the legs then anchored the legs to the concrete.

Ole Anderson
01-13-2011, 4:17 PM
I would think that the mass of a concrete floor would tend to absorb the vibration. I plan on mounting mine directly to the 10" thick poured concrete basement wall with something like RedHead anchors. A whole lot different from mounting it to a floor joist which can become a large wooden sounding board.

Joel Griffies
01-13-2011, 9:41 PM
The problem is that sound and vibration actually carry quite well through solid surfaces like concrete. From my search for info on soundproofing most suggestions are to insulate sound or vibration in some way from any solid surfaces that are continuous with other rooms/areas. So if that 10" conrete basement wall is also one that supports the room above, you may find that it carries the sound to it. Haven't gotten that far yet so cant say from first hand experience, but I do recall from my childhood that a pool cue bounced on end on the floor of the basement playroom could be heard throuought the house :)

Trying to be as proactive as I can.