PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Dish

Rob Cunningham
01-13-2011, 1:01 PM
This is a cherry dish I finished in December. It's 6 1/2 " x 1 1/4" high. I finished with AO and sanded to 4000 after the finish cured. My wife liked it so much that she gave it to her boss for Christmas. All comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Linda Persoon
01-13-2011, 1:22 PM
Rob,

I really like the dish, both the beautiful wood and the form & finish!.

The only critique (if you want to call it that) is I can't tell what the bottom of the bowl looks like. With the ripple in the cloth, I'm not sure if the curve flows into a foot or maybe no foot. One more picture (of the bottom) would be ideal.

That doesn't take away from my opinion, however. Good looking bowl. Looking forward to the next one.

Jim Burr
01-13-2011, 2:04 PM
Beautiful dish Rob, but can we see the bottom?

bob svoboda
01-13-2011, 2:11 PM
Agree-would like to see its bottom both in profile and straight on. What I can see is very nice and the wood is terrific.

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2011, 2:26 PM
Very pretty bowl Rob - great color and form! Looks like your wife's boss made out pretty good this year for Christmas gifts! Bet he loves it!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing whats next!

Rob Cunningham
01-13-2011, 2:43 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the bottom. There is no foot, just a flat,slightly undercut bottom.

steven carter
01-13-2011, 3:15 PM
Rob,

Very nice dish. This one has a lot goin on with the grain! Nice form and finish, I hope the recipient knows what they have and appreciates it accordingly.

Steve

John Keeton
01-13-2011, 3:27 PM
Beautiful color, Rob! And, while I like a foot on this form, you did a great job with this one!

Tim Rinehart
01-13-2011, 3:36 PM
Beautiful grain and finish to this piece, I'm sure it will be appreciated. Nice pleasing shape that all would like, I suspect.

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2011, 5:29 PM
Beautiful dish as is the wood. The form is really nice.

Roger Chandler
01-13-2011, 7:44 PM
First class, Rob!

Carol Kinney
01-13-2011, 7:53 PM
Rob,
That is beautiful, I love all the different colors in the wood you used. Very nice form to the bowl also, bet you made her boss very happy!

David E Keller
01-13-2011, 8:38 PM
Beautiful shape and color. Don't listen to JK... It looks perfect without a foot.:D

Baxter Smith
01-13-2011, 9:53 PM
Rob, thats a beautiful piece of cherry and the form shows it off well. How many coats of AO did you use. Always seems to take me more than it should (or I wipe it too dry)but I love the look and feel of it eventually.

Rob Cunningham
01-14-2011, 7:31 AM
Rob, thats a beautiful piece of cherry and the form shows it off well. How many coats of AO did you use. Always seems to take me more than it should (or I wipe it too dry)but I love the look and feel of it eventually.

Baxter- It has 6 coats of AO. I put the first 2 coats on a little heavy because it soaks into the wood, then the other coats are thinner just to get some build and smooth everything out. I do sand lightly between coats to remove any dust or imperfections in the finish.

Thanks again for all the kind comments.