PDA

View Full Version : Pine tool cabinet pt. 2

john brenton
01-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Not sure what the protocol is when you do an update, but here's a top post to clog the forum.

In looking at the quality of the panels I had, and all my tools strewn out all over the place...I figured that I was going to take the fast track to mediocrity and butt joint with nails and dowels, and probably beef up structure later on. It's been fun though so far. It's neat to lay your tools out and see how you're going to fit everything in. I have more planes than this, but I was trying to be practical. The other planes, mostly molders and a couple metal bodies, can sit in one of my many old tool boxes...which are now kind of a burden in a one car garage. These are the planes I use on every project.

I said yesterday that the interior pieces were wenge, but I ended up not using the wenge and used sapele instead. Much better choice. There are already quite a few things I would have done differently, but nothing major. The holes for the chisels are drilled with an auger, tapered with a long reamer bit, then the opening on the top rounded with a cone reamer, all on the brace.

I'm going to cram more stuff into the back panel, but wanted to make sure that my key tools were in there first, and that they'll be readily accessible. Now that they're in there I can experiment by seeing what will fit without getting in the way. Now to fit all the specialty chisels, marking gauges, squares, etc. into the sides, and into the doors. I have a feeling this is going to be a paint grade project by the time it's done, but so what? Good times!

I snuck in a pick of my shavehorse and my devil dog. The bottom left joint looks like a bad fit, but it's just the angle. The bottom panel protrudes a bit as I'll probably put a drawer under there...or not...I'm just leaving it open in case. The top panel is recessed a bit so that I can scab in a piece of sapele...just for looks.

David Weaver
01-13-2011, 1:06 PM
I like the carved dog! You did a nice job on the scary eyes!

Which one of those is the magic plane from the other thread? (nurse yadda, yadda)

john brenton
01-13-2011, 1:11 PM
He's actually a lamp. He has a flip top head that holds votive candles.

Magic plane? I guess maybe I was singing it's praises a little too much? I've just never seen a woodie that new and minty...except for new ones of course...and it's just the epitome of what I love about woodies. Anywho, that plane is not going in the box. I already have two jacks in there. Three's a crowd.

Jim Paulson
01-14-2011, 1:55 PM
Hi John,

Nice work on the cabinet. Saw the great shaving horse in the background too. Do you use the cone reamer and brace for chairs?

Jim